Mastering InDesign CS5 for Print Design & Production
The book used by ITT Technical Institute to teach InDesign worldwide.
Comprehensive reference and tutorial on Adobe InDesign CS5
If you want to thoroughly master InDesign from the basics through advanced topics, Mastering InDesign CS5 for Print Design and Production is the book you need. Written by the former InDesign technical lead for Adobe, this book helps you achieve professional results through efficient production workflows and advanced techniques. You’ll learn how to collaborate within workgroups; work efficiently with text, objects, and variable text; perfect your printed output; get the most out of InDesign’s transparency and effects tools, and much more. Above all, you’ll see how to handle prepress to get the results you want.
- Shows you how to use Adobe InDesign CS5 to achieve professional results
- Written by the former InDesign technical lead for Adobe, who, in addition to his technical expertise, offers his own valuable advice and lessons learned from 20 years in the graphic design business
- Offers comprehensive coverage of topics, step-by-step instruction, and numerous examples and case studies
Whether you’re just starting with InDesign or a professional using it every day, this comprehensive guide will take your skills to a new level.
From the Back Cover
Master the Power of InDesign to Get Professional Print and Prepress Results
If you’re a busy designer racing daily deadlines, the last thing you need is fluff. Mastering InDesign CS5 for Print Design and Production vaults you straight into the practical, everyday techniques you need to get professional results, today. Each chapter gets right to the point and covers what professionals need to master to work more efficiently: text, drawing, documents, preflight, collaboration, and much more. Written by the former InDesign technical lead for Adobe and packed with his invaluable advice, this book shows you how to make InDesign’s tools work the way you work—saving time, improving results, and freeing you to focus on the creative.
- The new features of InDesign CS5 and how and why you should use them
- Setting up press-ready pages and spreads with bleed, slug, and live areas
- Placing and fitting images rapidly and accurately
- Using layers, guides, grids, templates, and libraries to speed the design process
- Improving productivity through reusable settings and assets
- Working with InCopy to incorporate collaboration
- Customizing InDesign’s tools to meet the demands of daily deadlines
- Exploring all that InDesign can do with text, characters, and documents
- Revolutionizing your workflow by using pages and stories effectively
- Mastering essential calibration and color management steps, even for grayscale jobs
- Printing well and accurately with the right preflighting procedures
- Getting more efficient and more creative using smart workflows
- Optimize InDesign CS5 to Meet Your Print and Prepress Needs
- Find Sophisticated Solutions to Everyday Design Challenges
- Export Files to PDF, ePUB, IDML, XML, Flash®, HTML/XHTML, and JPEG
- Review Your Knowledge with “Master It” Questions
- Reinforce Skills with Real-World Examples and Case Studies