Courses & Video Training

InDesign CC Data Merge and Variable Data Printing

Author: Pariah Burke
Publisher: Pluralsight
Length: 2 Hours
Watch Now!

Share

Share Button

From simple form letters and mailing labels to personalized children’s books and ebooks, from catalogs to yearbooks, from batch-created business cards to direct mailers that make recipients’ names and past purchases part of the artwork, InDesign’s Data Merge lets you and your clients easily incorporate Variable Data Printing (VDP), automated document generation from InDesign templates, and personalization into your designs. Personalized marketing materials generate a 36% higher response rate and whopping 48% increase in repeat orders non-personalized materials generate. This course will help you master the power of data merge in InDesign so you can help your clients get those higher response rates, increased repeat orders, and amazing 31% higher revenue.

3 Powerful Avenues Open Up with Data Merge

InDesign’s Data Merge features open three avenues that are closed off to you without data merge:

  1. Personalized, variable data publishing of single-page, multi-page, and long document projects;
  2. Automatic and semi-automatic generation of repetitively-formatted content in one document or book, and;
  3. Database-driven and database-updatable publications.

Watch Excerpts From the Course

Course Contents

Module 1: Planning for Data Merge and Variable Data Printing

InDesign’s Data Merge helps you create data-driven, variable data publications and designs. This module explains the concepts and terminology you’ll need to understand, and then helps you prepare data sources for use in Data Merge.

  1. Learning Data Merge Terminology
  2. Understanding Data Merge
  3. Preparing Data Sources

Module 2: Creating Data Merge Projects

Now that you’ve got your data sources prepared and have a conceptual understanding of variable data publishing, it’s time to go hands-on and turn those concepts into completed projects. This module will teach you not just the fundamentals of VDP with data merge. By the end of it, you’ll be able to create, from start to finish, the types of projects that represent 90 percent of all data merge use.

  1. Preparing a Form Letter Data Merge
  2. Generating Form Letters
  3. Removing Blank Lines Made by Empty Fields
  4. Preparing to Merge Multiple Records Per Page
  5. Merging Multiple Records Per Page
  6. Working with Multiple Records Per Page
  7. Building Multi-Page Variable Text Publications
  8. Getting Creative with Variable Text

Module 3: Adding Variable Images in Data Merge

Now that you’ve got the hang of using Data Merge for variable text, adding variable images to your repertoire will open up a wide new world of variable data publishing and content customization and personalization.

  1. Preparing the Data Source for Images
  2. Adding Images to the Data Source
  3. Adding Variable Images to the Template
  4. Working with Merged Placeholders in Overset Text
  5. Auto-Fitting Images During Merge

Module 4: Mastering Data Merge and Variable Data Projects

At this point in the course you know everything you need to know, can DO everything you need to do, to produce 99% of the variable data publishing projects possible with InDesign. This module will get you across the finish line to mastery by preparing you for that remaining 1% of InDesign VDP projects.

  1. Using Advanced Image Auto-Fitting
  2. Automatically Preventing Overset Text
  3. Anchoring Objects to Merged Text
  4. Saving Costs on VDP
  5. Updating Data After Merging With and Without XML
  6. Adding Variable QR Codes with Enhanced Data Merge
  7. Creating a Yearbook with Inline Text and Images
  8. Using Data Merge to Populate Non-VDP Documents
  9. Next Steps