Creative Community Bulletin 16 October 2013
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Why Confidence Is So Important (and How to Improve Yours)“”Have confidence!” is one of the most essential pieces of advice you’ll receive in life that makes no sense if you’ve never done it. You know what confident people look like, the advantages they get, and that it’s something worth emulating. Ho…
- This Mind-Blowing Illusion Sets A New Standard For Mind-Blowing Illusions“PROJECTION MAPPING CAN CREATE INCREDIBLE ILLUSIONS WITHIN THE REAL WORLD. ONE VIDEO HAS SET A NEW BAR FOR THE TECHNO-ART MIRACLE.”
- Can Flat Design Change An Entire Culture Built On Ornateness?THE WORLD IS FLAT BY SAUDI DESIGNER KHANSA’A ABU NAJI HOPES TO CONVINCE THE ARAB WORLD THAT THERE’S PROFOUNDNESS IN SIMPLICITY.
- The ‘Perfect’ Workstation For Designers
Filled with nifty gadgets—such as a mind reader to read clients needs, an instant PSD to HTML conversion button, typeface and web safe color charts, and a punching desktop mime figure to represent the client, developer or IE—the ‘Perfect Designer Workstation’ would be deemed best suited for those in that creative role, and would be what designers would love to have.
- ‘Font Alphabet Puzzle’ Teaches Kids ABCs And Typography At The Same TimeTo get your kids started on their ABCs and typefaces, Milano, Italy-based company Looodus has created a fun wooden block puzzle that metaphorically kills two birds with one stone.
- What 3D printing really offers artists and designersWe interview 3D printing guru Professor Richard Hague at the launch of the Science Museum’s new exhibition, 3D: Printing the Future.
- Being Near Plants Will Make Your Life BetterGreen space won’t necessarily help you through divorce, but it can help reduce stress related to the everyday annoyances of life in dense urban areas.
- What Multitasking Does To Your BrainHAVING 20 TABS OPEN ON YOUR LAPTOP WHILE SNAPCHATTING WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND, EATING A SANDWICH, AND LISTENING TO TAYLOR SWIFT IS OVERWHELMING. AND MAKES YOU MEAN.
- Share a Digital Contact Card Right After You Exchange Business Cards
The whole point of exchanging business cards was to feature in each other’s address book or rolodex. But now that address books are digital, the physical business card serves little purpose other than a greeting token. To get added to the other person’s address book, one neat trick is to send them an email with your digital contact card as soon as you meet.
- How to Mute Retweets from Any User on Twitter
Some people are great to follow on Twitter, but they retweet a ton of annoying things—maybe it’s a brand that retweets everything everyone says about it, or a hilarious novelty account that occasionally retweets NSFW images. Whatever the case, you can actually mute retweets from any user right on Twitter.
- Digital Comic Books Offer Students New Ways of LearningComic book lovers and educators got on stage for two different panels at New York Comic Con yesterday to talk both about how comic books can ignite classroom discussion and how librarians can digitally bring those beloved books into schools.
- Infographic: The Pros And Cons Of Freelancing
Can’t decide if you want to be a freelancer? Then this infographic can help you make that decision.
- Smart Quotes are Killing the ApostropheHow a software innovation doomed the inverted comma
- Interview with Karl Isaac, Adobe’s Head of Brand Strategy
Branding and marketing your business need some serious understanding about how design can affect its outcome. A simple change in font or color can make an impact on how your target audience will embrace your brand. To further explore this thought, we recently got the chance to talk to one of the industry’s top branding directors – Adobe’s Head of Brand Strategy, Karl Isaac.
- For $150/month, this Google-backed startup lets small biz automate marketing like the big boysGreen space won’t necessarily help you through divorce, but it can help reduce stress related to the everyday annoyances of life in dense urban areas.
- The Myth Of Social ROI – Business InsiderThey’ve realized that social media isn’t a transactional engine or sales machine, so they’re dropping half-baked indicators that gauge secondary effects, such as financial return.
- 42 Idiom Origins [Video]Impress your friends! Liven up a meeting! Fun at parties! Where did the idiom “fly off the handle” come from? You’ll learn that and the origin of 41 other idioms in this fun but informative 10 minute video.
- Aereo App Redefining the TV Broadcasting Business? Coming to Android Oct. 22“For the uninitiated, Aereo allows users to watch live broadcast TV from a phone, tablet, web browser, Roku or Apple TV. It’s available in New York City, Boston, Miami, Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas, with more cities planned throu…
- 10 Ways to Not Become a Successful Photographer“Zack described a moment of apprehension and anxiety similar to those that we all deal with as small business people, that moment when a day job sounds like a good idea and the stresses of running our own businesses can really creep up on us. T…
- Creatives Getting Less Time for Creativity – New Infographic
“What KRK did was to conduct a survey of some 400 creatives all over the US and UK. Their professions ranged from fashion design to art direction, among which 63% complained of not having the time required for “creative reflection and inspiration” – 70% simply asked for more “creative time.”
Find out the rest of the details in this interesting inforgraphic:”
- What Comes After Flat (as in iOS7 Flat Style Design)?
“It’s said that anyone can predict today. What about tomorrow? While we can’t make promises, here are a few things we expect in the coming years.”
- How Selfless Networking Can Boost Your Design Career
“Greedy, selfish networking will get you nowhere, says the Freelancers Union’s Sara Horowicz. For effective professional relationships, a little bit of giving can go a long way.”
- Dynamic Duos: PepsiCo’s Indra Nooyi And Mauro Porcini On Design-Led Innovation“WITH AN EYE TOWARD THE FUTURE AND A MISSION TO GROW ITS CORE BRANDS, THE BEVERAGE AND SNACK-FOOD GIANT INSTALLED ITS FIRST-EVER DESIGN CHIEF, WITH A MANDATE TO SHAKE THINGS UP.”
- Why Your Projects Don’t Have Follow Through and Aren’t Moving Forward“Imagine for a sec that you’ve just given feedback to the designer on your team. Afterwards, you find that the designer hadn’t incorporated your suggestions or addressed any of the problems you saw. There was no followthrough. What could have g…
- 10 Screen-related Terms Every Designer Should Know“It’s important to make sure your designs render correctly on your monitor, and for that you need to understand the basics of screen technologies. Let us acquaint you…
- Ask For Help a Second Time For Better Results
“Those asking for favors tend to focus on how burdensome the request is, the researchers sensibly hypothesized, while those being asked for help are more aware of the discomfort of saying no. The result, the research shows, is those in need of help tend to stop asking for it after the first no, whilst those in a position to help are MORE likely to grant a favor if they’re asked twice.”
- Really Cool Digital Make up in Photoshop in 10 Minutes“Why use real make up if you can do a digital make up and make the skin look pretty and smooth. It’s simple, fast and very effective.”
- Securing Your Notoriously Insecure Dropbox: 6 Steps To Take For Safer Cloud Storage
“If you use Dropbox, you may be in for some startling news. Despite the fact that Dropbox was the first to bring cloud storage to the masses, it’s widely accepted that Dropbox is no longer the best of its class. One big drawback is that the vanilla Dropbox isn’t very secure, which can be problematic if you’re storing private or sensitive data on your account. But don’t give up on Dropbox yet! With a bit of effort, you can make it more secure.”
- Social Media & The Law – 11 Things You Need to Know Now
“A panel of lawyers, Emily Buchholz and John C. Pickerill, answered questions about everything ranging from copyright infringement and employers asking for account logins to what photos are ok to post and how to deal with negative comments online. If you’re involved in the social media world, legal issues can and will affect you.”