Creative Community Bulletin 20 September 2013
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- The Dribbblisation of Design is Moving UX and UI Design Backward
“On the other hand, we have a growing number of people posting and discussing their work on Dribbble, the aggregated results of which are moving our craft backwards. This post is not about Dribbble itself, it’s about what the community on Dribbble value. I’ll use the term ‘product design’ throughout, but I’m including UX and interaction design when I do.”
- Is Your To-Do List Really About What You Intend To Do?“YOUR TO-DO LIST SHOULDN’T FEEL LIKE A FOREIGN DOCUMENT DESCRIBING AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. INSTEAD, INCORPORATE EVERYDAY (LOW-STRESS) TASKS TO MAKE IT FEEL LIKE PART OF YOUR DAY.”
- Creativity Cannot Be Scheduled
“My problem now is the problem that many people have. I’m trying to force creativity into my “9-to-5″ schedule, and it’s basically giving me the finger for trying to do so. It’s only when I let myself detach from that routine and work more flexible hours that I get that rush or that feeling washing over me out of nowhere.”
- Phorce: a Bag That Charges Your Devices for 2 Weeks“A bag that charges all your devices, communicates with your smartphone, and transforms from a messenger, to a backpack, or briefcase.”
- How to Increase Blog Traffic in 3 Easy Ways [Infographic + Video]
“This is a very common question in the blogosphere, but it’s not a good question.
You can increase traffic in thousands ways, the real problem is how to increase blog traffic easily and without spending too much time.”
- Apple’s iOS7, Well, It Was Time For Skeuomorphism To Die
“It’s a mental aid to us all: here’s this new way of doing things but we’ll remind you, through design, of the old way you used to use so that you instinctively “get” what is going on here.”
- Is There Any Value In Free?
“It’s the perceived value of something that you are giving away that is important and free doesn’t appeal to everyone.”
- The New Spam Tactic: Twitter Lists [I’ve been seeing these for weeks now]“TWITTER USERS HAVE SEEN A GLUT OF STRANGE LIST ADDITIONS IN THEIR MENTIONS—AND IT’S ALL THANKS TO A STRANGE NEW SPAM ATTACK MECHANISM.”
- Recon Jet, Google Glass for Athletes, Pre-Order at $500, Ships January 2014“Specifically, Recon is now selling the Pilot Edition of its glasses, which has software geared toward cyclists, triathletes, and runners. The Pilot Edition will lack some of the software features Recon expects in the final edition, but the com…
- These Apocalyptic Dioramas Show Us How The World Could End–In Dollhouse Sizes“These miniature doomsday scenarios show malls overrun by greenery and subway cars crashing into beaches. It’s the end of the world, rendered adorably miniature.”
- 20-Somethings, Teens, Kids: 6 Harsh Truths to Make You a Better Person [NSFW Language]“For the rest of you, I want you to try something: Name five impressive things about yourself. Write them down or just shout them out loud to the room. But here’s the catch — you’re not allowed to list anything you are (i.e., I’m a nice guy, I…
- 50 free Photoshop actions to create stunning effects“Don’t waste your time repeating the same tedious steps to achieve an effect. Download these free Photoshop actions today!”
- So You Want To Pick Someone’s Brains? Do It Right.“Think about this request coming to you for a second. Someone requesting to pick your brains is way too vague and immediately sounds very time consuming, it’s not precise enough, so is the person asking in an effective way, or is the person ref…
- The 130 Best Free Fonts (According to Creative Bloq)“The best free fonts, from vintage-inspired typefaces to slap-you-in-the-face slab serifs. Read on for a slice of typography heaven..”