Creative Community Bulletin 22 January 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Putting the ‘game’ back into gamification: 4 ways to successfully gamify your brand
“While these tactics work for some audiences, they certainly won’t work for every consumer or brand. So instead of hopping on the gamification bandwagon and cherry picking a game mechanic or two, add value to your loyalty program by applying these four gamification best practices.
- The Best Typefaces of 2013
“For the past few months, we’ve been rounding up the freshest typefaces from each month. Now, we look back at the year and select the most beautiful fonts of 2013.”
- Pompadour Numerals #Typography“Pompadour is a chunky, display numeral set inspired by the 1950s Rockabilly Hairdo. The numbers, which each fit perfectly inside of a square, are best used a large sizes.”
- 10 Colorful Facts About Ink
“Ink is one of those everyday things we don’t tend to notice, but before our digital age, ink was of paramount importance. With the exception of the spoken word, ink was the only medium to communicate ideas or preserve history for a long time. Ancient inks were made from things like plant dye, burnt bones, and resin. Today, ink technology has progressed to the point where modified printers may soon be churning out human organs.”
- 26 Free Photoshop Templates by Pariah Burke
“Photoshop. It’s not just a noun, it’s a verb. It’s not just a tool for photo retouching but for all sorts of creative projects. Even in a world with Illustrator, InDesign, and Muse, Photoshop often fulfills the roles of drawing application, layout environment, and Web and mobile interface design instrument. More so than any other piece of modern software, Adobe’s flagship product is often looked to as the be-all-do-all tool for creative projects—both professional and consumer. In this spirit I offer a leg up, a starting point, a helping hand, in the form of prebuilt, ready-to-use and ready-to-customize Photoshop PSD templates for a whatever project may inspire you to click that the blue box-encased “Ps” on your Dock or Startbar.”
- 6 Watermark Apps To Protect Your Online Photos“Photo thieves, beware! Here are the best app options to protect your creative work.”
- BREAKING: Facebook Starts Showing Fewer Text Status Updates From Pages“Aside from the obvious switch to more media- and link-based content sharing, Facebook recommends using the link share tool rather than embedding a link in the text of the update, as it provides a more rich media experience for the consumer.”
- Hoefler & Frere-Jones, The Beatles Of The Type World, Are Breaking Up“TOBIAS FRERE-JONES SAYS “TREACHEROUS” JONATHAN HOEFLER CHEATED HIM OF HIS HALF OF ONE OF THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS TYPE FOUNDRIES—A COMPANY THAT HAS WORKED FOR EVERYONE FROM NIKE TO THE NEW YORK TIMES.
- 5 Fantastic Animation Tools for HTML5“Flash is not the preferred method for animation anymore, and most designers need to learn how to animate using HTML5. Thankfully, there are several tools in the market that can make your life easier.”