Today in Design – Top Articles RoundUp 2 March 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- —vector-1481" rel="external">How to Create a Classic Vector Painting with Watercolor Washes and Line ArtUsing Illustrator’s Art Brushes, we’re going to layer watercolor “washes” underneath black-and-white line art. This technique can be used with just about any kind of imagery however, including original artwork, clip art and silhouettes. Here, I’ve use…
- Artist Draws Self-Portraits While on Lsd to Show How It Affects BrainCountless artists have experimented with the effect drugs have on their work. User whatafinethrowaway, inspired by the “Nine Drawings” series which was the result of an experiment by the US government in the 1950’s, asked her friend to draw self-portraits while on LSD. The friend took 200µg of LSD and drew 11 self-portraits over nine-plus hours.
- The Influence of the Civil Rights Movement on English
Half a century after the civil rights movement of the 1960s, the language of those activists endures and continues to inspire and galvanise calls for equality the world over. From Beyoncé’s new video to speeches on the presidential campaign trail, the mastery of civil rights discourse still has clout and currency.
- 5 Unique Ideas You Can Use To Break Through Writer’s BlockWriting blocks happen to the best of us. Even after you’ve exhausted the usual methods of generating ideas, it can be a little stressful.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- A Possible Game-Changer for Open Educational Resources?Amazon is reportedly poised to get into the open educational resources game. This could be huge, and not just for the most obvious reasons.Tags: Ed Edu K12 LMS
- The Essential Guide to OneNote for MacOneNote is a free and cross-platform note-taking app for Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Our short guide summarizes everything you must know. Forget about your Microsoft hatred and try OneNote with us today.
- New research reveals surprising truths about why some work groups thrive and others falter.What Google Learned From Its Quest to Build the Perfect Team
- Design Leaders Answer: What’s the Biggest Problem in Our IndustryRead responses from Nick Schaden, Libby Bawcombe, and Joe Robinson.Tags: Design Business
- Leveraging the Power of Design in Design ThinkingJohn S. Couch, Hulu’s Vice President of UX and Design, gives his thoughts on what needs to be in place in order to make design thinking effective.Tags: Ui UX design
- How to Build a Website That Helps You Get CustomersNo matter how hard you work on your website, if it’s not helping you get new customers, it’s not doing its job.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance Startup
- Don’t Be A Dropbox Jerk: Cloud File Sharing Etiquette You Should KnowAre you annoying the people you share files with services like Dropbox? Maybe; here are some things you do that may bug others, and some rules you can use to avoid doing so.
- Why So Many Ideas Are Pitched as ‘Uber for X’ – The AtlanticThe recipe for originality calls for an unconventional starting point followed by a jolt of familiarity.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- This Sassy Typeface Proves That Fonts For UI Don’t Have To Be BoringDesigned by the guy behind the X-Files logo, Action Condensed is a new typeface that aims to make interfaces more exciting.Tags: Typography ui ux
- If Amazon pricing of ebooks is the problem, is agency actually the right solution?
In the past week, I’ve had conversations with leading executives at two of Amazon’s competitors in the ebook space. They had strikingly different takes on whether the agency pricing regime, which is now in place by contract with all five of the biggest trade publishers, helps keep competitive balance in the ebook marketplace or prevents it.
- Do Publishers Still Need a Website? The Debate Is Raging More Than Ever.
Or put it another way: Do publishers still need their own web destinations when more than 65 per cent of adults spend some part of their day with social media, according to Pew Research Center.
- Four Ways Copyright Law Hurts Visual ArtistsWhile copyright law exists in order to protect creators, there are some laws that significantly harm artist profitability, putting the power in the hands of big business and imposing an undue burden on artists.Tags: Copyright IP IPLaw Art Design Illus…
- Humorous Illustrated Series of Puns for DesignersSara Heffernen has created a brilliant series of humorous posters that can only be truly appreciated by designers.Tags: Design Humor
- You Don’t Need New Ideas, You Need a New Perspective
- Naughty Words: What Makes Swear Words So Offensive?