Today in Design – Top Articles RoundUp 20 October 2014
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- The Designer’s Guide to Getting a LifeYou may have the design job of your dreams but work isn’t everything, right? Leading designers explain what they do to avoid burnout.
- Create Custom Type from Existing FontsTypefaces you already own can be as effective in commercial art as custom lettering, reveals illustrator Steven Bonner.
- City/regional magazines: The hidden price for not launching digital editions is depending on free circ to maintain readership
Many regional magazines have begun growing their ‘verified’ circulation levels to compensate for falling subscription and single copy sales, while ignoring digital as an alternative approach
- How to Look Better in Photos Based on Your Body Type (for Subjects and Photographers)There’s no need to be ashamed of your body and posing for photos doesn’t have to be painful. We’ve talked about how to look your best in photos but there are certain things you can do better depending on your body’s shape or your features.
- Foreign Affairs Uses Drupal to Dramatically Streamline Publishing Workflow and Integrate Their Digital Edition
While delivering a multi-platform strategy is essential in publishing today, developing a single, unified workflow that enables seamless publishing to all of these platforms—including the iPad– is not always easy. Foreign Affairs set its sights on this goal and partnered with DPCI, an interactive technology agency with deep roots in publishing and extensive Adobe DPS expertise, to tackle the job. Together they delivered a game-changing workflow that eliminated countless hours of tedious work while delivering a consistent brand experience across properties and improving speed to market.