Today in Design – Top Articles RoundUp 22 September 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Comic Sans, Its History and Why It DOESN’T Suck
And so people pile on Comic Sans in a way that they’d never pick on nerds in school. And every time you see your library or your community center making a poster with Comic Sans — “Hey, come to the puppet show!” — there’s a bit of a nose wrinkle, an almost-sneer. Like they didn’t get the memo. Like they don’t even know. Like a puppet show is serious business.
But think back to 1994. We’d just gotten the graphical web and all web page backgrounds were grey. Cutting edge at this point was changing that color to white. Microsoft’s website — you know, the people who released Comic Sans — looked like this.
- How to create mood boards: 40 pro tips and toolsMood boards can be a great way to convey your design idea, win pitches and get an early sign-off. Follow our expert advice on how to create them.
- The 42 best free WordPress themesIn this article we’ve selected some of the very best free WordPress themes for you to use in your projects. Each is not only free to use and open to the public but also offers something special and unique.
- Improve Search & Learning Skills In Kids From The Bing HomepageA recent post on the official Microsoft blog demonstrated the simple approach: The high-quality homepage image is connected to free lesson plans which have been designed around the image, and graded for kids from K-4 to K-12. You can access the…
- The 6 Secrets to Web Design for an Arabic AudienceBrightlemon’s Leon Tong and Inspiral Design’s Mukhtar Sanders reveal how to design for an Arabic audience.
- 9 Of The Best Free Backup Plug-ins For WordPress
Luckily, there are a huge number of plug-ins to help you effectively backup your website and prepare for any future problems. The only thing is, there’s so many of these plug-ins, it’s hard to know where to begin and often, it can seem like the only option is to purchase a premium plug-in.
- The History (and a Showcase) of the AmpersandBut many designers have little knowledge about the origin and meaning of the ampersand. The ampersand has a long and rather interesting history, though.
And with all the variations available out there, there are a whole host of design possibil…
- The Comic Book Industry Is On Fire As Sales Skyrocket–And Not Just Because of FilmsLast year’s 85 million print unit sales for the top 300 comic books was the highest number since 2007, and that does not count increasingly significant graphic novel and digital sales nor a growing number of sales beyond the top 300. Even thoug…
- These Productivity Wallpapers Change Color As the Day Drags On (Win & Mac)When you’re in the zone, it’s easy to lose track of time, forget to take breaks, and forget how long you’ve been working. Reader Alejandro decided to use Windows’ built-in wallpaper rotation feature and some color-coded wallpapers to keep track…
- Don’t Get Screwed: The Contract Provisions Every Creative Needs to Know
Putting together a contract can seem intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. While it would be great to be able to hire an attorney to draft or review every contract, that’s not an affordable option for most people. The good news is that even a basic agreement that you write yourself is better than having no written agreement at all, provided that it’s clear, unambiguous, and covers the essentials of your business arrangement.
- Stuck for a brand name? Look up mythological figures by what they stood for.Search for gods by subject. The best way to find the god of a particular thing.
- Be More Memorable: How to Better Answer the 3 Questions You Always Get Asked When Meeting Someone NewAlmost every time you meet someone new, there are three questions you will probably have to answer during your conversation: