Today in Design – Top Articles RoundUp 28 April 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- ‘The Jungle Book’ magic revealed: Behind the scenes of a VFX masterpieceThey’re doing a lot with hand puppets these dayTags: VFX motion design
- Wattpad Launching Multichannel Network for Storytellers, Producing Stories for Film, TV, PrintThe goal is to partner with the entertainment industry to co-produce Wattpad stories for print, film, television, and digital platforms.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- 5 Techniques To Beat Work Overload – Productivityist
- Barnes & Noble’s Longtime Leader, Leonard Riggio, Is Stepping DownDuring his tenure, Mr. Riggio steered the company through heady days of explosive growth in the 1980s and 1990s, when Barnes & Noble expanded nationally and opened its first superstores.Tags: amwriting eprdctn epub selfpub
- Easy To Use Tools For Hard Projects | InstantShift
- Being A Developer After 40
- Wikipedia Is Basically a Corporate Bureaucracy, According to a New Study
- How do work, education and race affect divorce rates? Data sheds light on trendsAn analysis on the site Flowing Data, run by statistician Nathan Yau, took a closer look at rates of divorce and marrying multiple times. The analysis is based on U.S. Census data.
- We’ve Reached Peak Smartphone–And That’s Good
Now the real trial isn’t finding a good phone—it’s finding a bad one. And that isn’t a bad thing (as boring as it is for everyone covering it).
- What Would Happen If We Just Gave People Money?
- 6 Work-Life Balance Tips for Entrepreneur Parents
- Amy Cuddy, Body Language Expert, Reveals What It Takes to Have ‘Presence’
- Behind the Scenes (Video) of Erik Johansson’s Amazing Photography / Photoshop Piece “Impact”This is an image I’ve been working on for the past months. I wanted to create an image where a lake is breaking up as a mirror. I wanted to make the effect look as realistic as possible so I decided to buy 17 square meters of mirrors last summer and broug…
- 10 Bizarre Punctuation Marks That Didn’t Stick – Listverse
- How To Clean Up & Optimize Your WordPress Install
- 4 Surprising Ways Facebook Can Improve Your Life
- While the Net Screams “Uninstall QuickTime on Windows!” Adobe Says That Can Break Creative CloudWindows users who also use Adobe Creative Cloud software might be stuck with vulnerable QuickTime software on their systems for quite some time.Tags: QuickTime
- 120 Photoshop tips, tricks and fixesPhotoshop is an easy tool to use and a difficult one to master, but help is at hand with our comprehensive list of tips, tricks and fixes for Adobe’s showpiece software. Whether you’re looking for tips on using layers, advice on mastering the pen tool…
- Everything You Should Know About Location-based Marketing Technologies
- Another [Awful] Way to Monetize Ebooks
Imagine a service where you can download all the ebooks you want, for no charge. The content is locked and it becomes accessible as you answer a survey question every few pages. Or maybe you answer a few survey questions at the start of each chapter. Either way, rather than cash or credit card, you’re paying for the ebook with your data and opinions.
- 4 key freelance hurdles to overcome
- 6 Ways to Make Your Personal Website More Effective
- How to spot a bad client BEFORE you start working with them
- Color Matching Systems II: Best Practices for Choosing & Using Color
- Pocket Paper Notebook Showdown: Moleskine vs. Field Notes
- The Design School Guide To Visual Hierarchy
- Harriet Tubman to Replace Former President Andrew Jackson on the $20 BillChanges to the $10 are coming, too, but Alexander Hamilton will remain on the bill’s front. But on the back of the sawbuck, suffragists who fought to give women the right to vote will be added, including Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul.
- Five Signs You May Be Sabotaging Your Writing Career
- Brilliant Logos – 7 Methods to Reach an “Aha” Moment
- Earth Day 2016: We’re not doomed (Opinion) – CNN.comThere’s plenty of cause for doom and gloom this Earth Day. But with climate change, we’re finally starting to get things right. CNN’s John D. Sutter explains.Tags: EarthDay
- Luck Is a Bigger Contributor to Success Than People Give It Credit For
- How to Distress a Photo Using a Grunge Texture and Displacement Map
- Overcoming imposter syndrome