Design Your Own Business: Episode 4
Design Your Own Business is a monthly Internet broadcast show for freelancers, the self-employed, and small business owners with a focus on, but not exclusively for, designers and the creative professions.
Topics Discussed this Episode
Balancing self-employment with home life, making it all work, and especially making working at home work are crucial topics for the self-employed. Even small business with employees can often be decentralized, without an office. In this episode Pariah and guests will talk about these and other subjects related to balancing freelancing and home life.
Host Pariah Burke and guests discussed the following topics this episode:
- Planning to work at home.
- Balancing self-employment and home life.
- Family and freelance, not family versus freelance.
- Creating mental and physical barriers to separate home-life and work-at-home.
- Establishing and communicating “I’m at work” boundaries with spouses and children.
- Compromises required to work at home.
- Being at home for child- and pet-care issues.
- Being there for important family events.
- Benefits of working at home.
- When and how to work away from home.
- Carving out “me time.”
- Coping with working alone, missing co-workers, and maintaining social interaction.
- The different types of locations for work-in-the-home.
Guests on this Episode
Rob Huddleston is on the Design Faculty at the Art Institute of California, Sacramento, where he teaches web and graphic design. He’s the author of 9 books on web design and mobile devices.
Patric King is a visual designer living and working with his partner in Chicago, IL. you can find him at patricking.com, complaining about design at fixingthehobosuit.com, and his portfolio at houseofpretty.com.
Lisa has a knack—and a passion—for taking complex concepts and making them accessible. She specializes in online video and media delivery, be it HTML5, Flash, or consumer products Skype and Prezi. She has courses on Lynda.com and Pluralsight.com.
Author, consultant, print & digital publishing expert, graphic design and design business advisor.
Links and Apps Mentioned this Episode
During the show the guests and Pariah discussed the following links and apps: