eBook Creation and Publishing
Welcome to the Age of eBooks. eBooks aren’t new of course; technically they’ve been around since the first computer ReadMe.txt file was written in the 1960s. And Project Gutenberg has been distributing classic novels in various ebook formats since the mid-90s. Not until 2010, however, did ebooks capture a significant portion of the book publishing industry. Now they account for nearly half of all book sales, whether fiction, non-fiction, poetry, picture books, or textbook, and ebooks of all genres are gaining in popularity month after month.
And it’s not only the accessibility and low price point of ebooks and ebook readers that are driving the format’s rapid and widespread adoption. The other side of the equation is just as significant: eBooks have a $0 upfront cost to creators.
For publishers this means the immense costs of printing, shipping, and unit warehousing is completely eliminated. Even distribution royalties paid to Amazon, the iBookStore, and other ebook sellers are less than are typically paid to brick-and-mortar bookstores and distribution channels.
For authors, the elimination of all costs associated with publishing, listing, and distributing ebooks means that all the barriers to self-publishing have been removed. No publisher is required. No agent is required. There are no middlemen; just authors and ebook sellers--the ebook sellers even take care of payment processing and fulfillment.
This course opens the doors onto ebook publishing for…
- Book publishers ready to integrate ebook production into their printed book production workflows.
- Authors and would-be authors ready to take the surprisingly easy leap into self-publishing for fun and profit.
- Designers and production houses ready to capture a piece of the $3 billion annual ebook design and production business.
In this hands-on course we’ll start with a typical manuscript and move start to finish through to putting it up for sale (or stopping just shy of putting it up for sale if you like) as a professionally produced, platform-optimized ebook. You will learn:
- How to prepare a manuscript for epublication in a word processor (e.g. Microsoft Word or Apple Pages).
- Creating and using appropriate paragraph and character styles
- Repurposing for-print text to ebook
- (Optional) How to layout an ebook manuscript in InDesign.
- (Optional) How to layout an ebook manuscript in QuarkXPress.
- Creating the initial ebook.
- Unique requirements for photos, figures, illustrations, and captions in eBooks
- How to prepare images in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Creating ebook cover images
- Exporting ebooks from layout and word processing applications
- What’s inside that ePUB file
- Creating multi-chapter ebooks
- Obtaining an ISBN number for books
- Getting your e-publication into iBooks, Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and other e-tailers