Creative Community Bulletin 19 December 2013
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Designers Redesign the Airline Boarding Pass – Boarding Pass / Fail
It was like someone put on a blindfold, drank a fifth of whiskey, spun around 100 times, got kicked in the face by a mule (the person who designed this definitely has a mule living with them inside their house) and then just started puking numbers and letters onto the boarding pass at random (yes, I realize that a human didn’t lay this out, if a human had, judging by the train-wreck of design, they would have surely used papyrus). There was nothing given size or color importance over anything else, it was a mess.
- Create a Unified Transmedia Story as a Freelance Designer
So what’s “transmedia”, anyway? Simply put, it’s a message that spans across several mediums – like your website (desktop and mobile) to social media, to print, and anywhere else your freelancing business appears. The Aflac duck is a perfect example to review before looking at the details of how you make transmedia storytelling work for you as a freelance graphic or web designer:
- Should Web Designers Take on Print Work?
When you live and breathe digital marketing, it’s easy to overlook the fact that traditional offline marketing was a $93.6 billion industry in 2012. Whereas the digital marketing industry trails slightly behind at $63 billion.
- 2014 creative trends: leading creatives’ hopes and fears for the year ahead
Rather than asking for thoughtful-but-dry analysis of what they believe will happen across the whole industry, we decided instead to get a bit more personal. We asked them what they hope will happen – and what they fear might – as from this we can discern the issues that will really care about in 2014: what we should be striving for and what we should be fighting against.
- Why web censorship treats us all like children“You’re an adult. Fancy needing to ask permission to tweet? asks Gary Marshall.
According to the Daily Mail, “the Prime Minister says he worries when any of his three children ‘grab hold of the iPad’ because they risk seeing obscene images.” T…
- A Complete Guide On How To Protect Your Self-Hosted WordPress WebsiteThe security of a WordPress based website should always be a top priority for every single site-owner that chose this platform and there are literally millions of websites that are currently vulnerable to website attacks.
- UX designer or developer: Who will be king in 2014?
Back in 2010, almost everyone agreed, but just before the global coronation of software developers, the user experience (UX) designers united in protest, saying, “hang on, you are nothing without us! You are just coding the amazing user experiences that we have designed!” There is still tension between UX designers and software developers, which borders on sibling rivalry.
- The Coolest Cubicles in the World | Inc.comSmall is beautiful--and efficient. These freestanding pods, domes, and workstations are so artfully designed and ecologically sound that one might wonder: Is this the future of work?
- Trademark Basics for Designers | Copyright for Creative Pros [Video]“Whenever there are questions or confusion about Copyright, Trademark questions and confusion are usually mixed in. In this video Pariah Burke will explain the differences between Copyright and Trademark as well as what is, and what is not, eli…