Creative Community Bulletin 24 October 2013
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Qualities of a Great Graphic Designer
“What makes a great designer? Is there some secret formula? Where is that sweet 5-step process to becoming a killer designer? Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no such formula. However, when I study and watch successful designers, I see common qualities. Working at a creative agency has proven to me that there are eight qualities of a great graphic designer.
A great designer is…”
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective Media Queries
“As we all know, media queries are responsive design’s secret sauce. Here are some considerations for crafting high-quality media queries:”
- How to Find Out If Your Flight Has In-Seat Power Outlets“Here’s how to find out which planes have some extra juice to give.”
- The Benefits of Working in an Office Before Going Out on Your Own
“No matter how good your idea is or how talented you are, don’t underestimate the value of working for someone else first.”
- Slick Technique to Create an Invisible Watermark on Images in Photoshop “I hope you don’t have to, but if you have to take the case to court, well, you have a hidden watermark to prove that the image is yours”
- Do Tweets With Hashtags, Quotes, and Images Get More Retweets?“Zarella examined a dataset of more than 1.2 million random tweets to find correlations between the use of non-alphanumerical characters and the number of retweets. His analysis found two characters with particularly strong correlations: hashta…
- 80 Top-Quality Typography Tutorials“Whatever your discipline, typography is an essential part of design, and you can never stop learning about it or improving your typography skills. To help you out, we’ve gathered together the most amazing typography tutorials from around the w…
- How to Customize Extension Icons in Google Chrome — Change Evernote Webclipper Back to Green!“When you install a Chrome extension, it often puts an icon in your navigation bar for quick access. The problem is, sometimes that icon can be pretty ugly. Here’s how to change those icons to something better looking.”
- Reading Made Awesome: The Features of Ebook Apps You Should Be Using“Reading books on tablets or phones is awesome. There, I said it and I’m not taking it back. While the biggest advantage of reading on a mobile device is convenience and a huge portable library, there are a ton of features that make the experie…
- Amazing Collection Of 3D Text Effect Photoshop Tutorials“For creating such stunning and awesome 3D text effects almost every designer is using Adobe Photoshop. Adobe Photoshop is very popular and commonly used software and with Adobe Photoshop designers can easily generate amazing and creative 3D te…
- Say hello to Hi — Real-time journalism and storytelling“Craig Mod is one of those people that everyone in Tokyo seems to have heard about. From his successful harnessing of Kickstarter to fund a new edition of Art Space Tokyo to his early involvement with Chin Music Press and various startups, and …
- James Gilbert on Designing Solo with Others“James Gilbert decided to make his ad hoc collaborative approach official, transforming James Gilbert Design into Studio Contents.”
- 50 Brilliant WordPress Tutorials for All Skill Levels“Want to build a new website, or add something new to your existing one? Then check out these awesome WordPress tutorials…”
- The Secret Features of OS X Mavericks”
OS X Mavericks didn’t exactly wow anyone with its advertised feature set, but it does have some pretty cool hidden features. Here are our favorites.”
- Was iOS7 designed in Microsoft Word?!
“The community at large has been perplexed as to how Jony Ive — Apple’s senior vice president of design, who was previously known for such sophistication and constraint when designing hardware — managed to produce such an ugly user interface.
Finally, it seems like Vaclav Krejci has found the answer: he designed it in Microsoft Word!”
- How to Create an OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive“When it’s done, you should get a message stating the process is finished. Now, you can restart your computer, hold the Option key to access the boot menu, and select your new USB drive to install a clean copy of OS X Mavericks.”
- eBook Editing Favorite Tool Sigil is on Life Support, May Not Update #eprdctn“Sigil is not dead but it’s development has slowed considerably to the point it’s not being developed very much at this point. The best way I can describe it is Sigil is on life support.”
- The Real Reason Why Sleep Deprivation Can Destroy You
“In a nutshell, this new study provides evidence that we need a certain amount of sleep every night, because the brain takes this time to rid itself of toxic metabolic byproducts, which would otherwise accumulate in the brain and impair brain function, destroy neurons — and potentially cause neurodegenerative disorders.”