Creative Community Bulletin 26 September 2013
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- How to Use Android and iOS TogetherYou don’t have to fully commit yourself to either Android or iOS, and there are many of us that make use of both major mobile operating systems simultaneously. That said, Android and iOS don’t always work very happily together. No worries, thou…
- Study: Digital to Account for 1/4 of Global Ad Spending Next Year
“Within digital, the division seeing the biggest growth is, of course, mobile. While still less than 12% of total digital ad spend — spending will be just $15.8 billion globally this year — that marks a 79.7% increase over last year. According to forecast figures, 60.7% of the global population now has access to a mobile phone, up 20% from 2008. About 20% of the global population has a smartphone, up from just 1.5% in 2008.”
- Perfect web typography with slab-serifs“However, there is a style of type that produces the strong horizontal bars of text that serifs excel at, whilst still enjoying the high contrast of sans-serifs: the Egyptian, or slab-serif.”
- 7 Stylish iPad Cases With Notepads“If you’re an iPad owner who still uses old school pen and paper, then an iPad case with a built-in notepad might be a useful tool. We have found seven excellent options offering just that.”
- Boost Your Creativity by Dimming the LightsGerman researchers conducted six experiments leading to this thesis. In one test, 114 undergraduates were given four creative insight problems in groups with differing light levels (dim, office-level, and bright light). The results, Pacific Sta…
- Obamacare Is An Entrepreneur’s Best Friend
“These groups and individuals either don’t know, or have forgotten, or are willfully misrepresenting the realities of creating a business and working in one.
There are untold millions of would-be entrepreneurs in the U.S. hanging on, in quiet desperation, to deadening corporate jobs–because they can’t afford to leave. Millions who understand the catastrophic consequences of boldly heading out to uncharted entrepreneurial territory… only to have someone in the family develop a chronic illness or life-threatening condition.”
- Everything You Need to Know About the #Hashtag
“If you spend any amount of time on the internet, you’ve probably seen people using words or phrases with pound signs in front of them, #like #this. On Twitter, this is called a hashtag.”
- The Ultimate Guide to Adjustment Layers – Gradient Map“Gradient Map is one of the least used Photoshop Adjustments. In this tutorial, we will take a close look at the Gradient Map Adjustment and will explain everything you need to know about it.”
- Check Spelling in Photoshop
“Among many other useful features, Photoshop have and Spell Checker, don’t you know? Its not in Type menu because Check Spelling is not new option and is located under Edit > Check Spelling… What you need to know before using this command is to select any layer in Layers panel otherwise warning pop-up message will appear with information about program error. Note: The Check Spelling command does not check spelling in hidden or locked layers.”
- 45 Free Sets of Adobe Illustrator Brushes
“While there are not as many free brushes available for Illustrator as there are for Photoshop, there are still some excellent, high-quality options. In this post we’ll look at 45 sets of brushes in several different categories.”
- Make Your Bridesmaids Happy: 5 Colors That Flatter | Color + Design Blog“Choosing bridesmaids dresses that your friends actually like can be challenging, and the color plays a big part in whether or not they’ll like the dress. But if you have a diverse group of friends, choosing a color that they all like and look …
- Quick Fixes For Flowing Purposefully Through Your Workday““FLOW” IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU’RE TOTALLY ABSORBED IN YOUR WORK. HERE’S HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.”
- What is the Value of Design? The British Design Council can put figures on it for designers and clients.
The British Design Council has found that every £1 spent on design gives you over £20 in increased revenue, £4 increased profit and £5 in increased exports. A very nice and handy statistic to be liberally used in your next discussion with a business leader or decision maker.
- Adobe Updates Edge Tools with CSS Regions for Netter Responsive DesignCSS Regions essentially enables designers and developers to decouple the presentation of content from the content itself. This should make it easier for web designers to create more complex responsively designed websites.
Within Edge Reflow yo…