Creative Community Bulletin 8 October 2013
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Portrait Tips from Leading Illustrators
“Seven of the UK’s leading illustrators – and an American hotshot – reveal to Lisa Hassell how they created renderings of film stars, musicians and more that convey their inner nature (whether perceived or real)”
- Sexism dot com: How Do We Stop the Abuse Directed at Female Web Designers?“We investigate the vile misogyny aimed at the likes of Sarah Parmenter (above), which could also be putting women off joining the web industries.”
- Dalek Designs Critiqued by Designers and Sci-Fi Experts“We take a look back at the different designs of Doctor Who’s greatest enemy, with input from leading designers and sci-fi experts.”
- Twitter Founder Reveals Secret Formula for Getting Rich Online
“In his speech, Williams explained what the internet is, how it works, and how to get rich from it. Truth be told, Williams is not the best public speaker, but his message was clear: At a time when so many internet entrepreneurs are running around Silicon Valley trying to do something no one else has ever done, Williams believes that the real trick is to find something that’s tried and true — and to do it better. It’s a speech that should serve as a signpost, a bit of much-needed direction for the Valley’s younger generation.”
- 10 Steps to the Perfect Portfolio Website“Below are 10 steps for creating a perfect portfolio site. These suggestions apply to all kinds of portfolios, no matter what your particular artistic field.”
- How Your Passwords Are Stored on the Internet (and When Your Password Strength Doesn’t Matter)And now Adobe! “Between LinkedIn, Zappos, Dreamhost, and other prominent sites recently hacked, you’ve likely been thinking about your online security lately. But what does it actually mean when one of these sites get hacked, and how can you pr…
- This is American Government“I WANT TO START a business. My plan is for a management team that is a revolving committee of 535 people who gain membership through bribery, lying, campaigning and trying to out-promise each other. Advancement in the committee is through more…
- 25 Traits Of Successful People“Success can be a combination of a lot of things and it includes determination, perseverance, hard work as well as passion. Most successful people tend to have common traits that have help them become the successes they are today. Here are 25 t…
- Designer: Dear Airlines, this is What Your Boarding Passes Should Look Like“Designer Adam Glynn-Finnegan’s vision for a better boarding pass.”
- Dynamic Duos: Samsung on Global Design Influences
“BY THINKING REGIONALLY--AND SEEKING DESIGN INSPIRATION FROM CUSTOMERS AND LOCAL COMMUNITIES--THE KOREA-BASED COMPANY HAS COME TO DOMINATE THE WORLD’S CELLULAR AND TELEVISION MARKETS.”
- It’s Over For Paid iPad & iPad Apps, With A Few Exceptions
“s it over for paid mobile apps? That’s the general thinking these days, as the App Stores fill up with “good enough” alternatives to paid apps, while major publishers game the charts with free offerings that make millions which can then be used for their ongoing user acquisition efforts. That’s one of the reasons why the top charts of the App Store have gotten so difficult to break into for new publishers today, in fact.”
- WordPress Lite Released as Ghost Blogging Platform“Ghost is an Open Source application which allows you to write and publish your own blog, giving you the tools to make it easy and even fun to do. It’s simple, elegant, and designed so that you can spend less time making your blog work and more…
- A Kickstarter To Teach Kickstarter Wannabes How To Launch A Successful Kickstarter“In the most meta campaign ever, Andrew Gale wants to teach you how to win at crowdfunding. The big question: Will he hit his goal?
- A Web Dev Tool For Pro Designers Who Want Everything WYSIWYGMacaw is a powerful design-to-code web app that lets the Photoshop-savvy have their design and code it, too.
- 9 tools for creating great animationsCreating animations has always been considered as one of the most complex aspects of graphic design that requires specific software and technological expertise. It is a time-intensive activity that requires heavy software and high speed compute…
- Getting Started with Flat UI Design
A recent Forbes report places the increasing trend towards flat design firmly at the door of people’s growing familiarity with digital interfaces. In years gone by (1995-2003), the author says, designers were designing for only a “certain class of professional workers” who were familiar with desktop software and this meant designing with clickability in mind.
- How to Use Multiple iTunes Accounts / Apple IDs on One iPad–Without Losing Anything!
“If you read the various discussion boards about sharing iPads, most sources emphatically state you simply can cannot share an iPad. There are also a number of threads warning that logging in with a different iTunes account is possible, but it will cause all existing apps from the original account to be deleted from the iPad. Frankly there were so many naysayers, I didn’t think it would work. But after giving it a shot, I’m here to report that installing apps from multiple accounts on one iPad can be done, and it’s really not difficult. The process requires two Apple IDs, and one iOS device running either iOS 6 or iOS 7.”
- Meet the Voice of Siri [CNN Video]The real voice of Siri is a professional voice actress who found interacting with Siri “kind of creepy.”
- 10 great cloud-based apps for your design businessIllustrator and content strategy director Steff Green gives you the lowdown on the best cloud-based solutions to aid designers.
- How to Master Color TheoryWe cut through the jargon to explain the basic concepts and terminology of colour theory, in words that you can understand.
- 12 Ways To Disappoint Your Design Clients
One of the most difficult parts of being a freelancer is dealing directly with your clients. If they are disappointed, it’s your fault completely. You don’t have a company or colleagues to fall back on to help you deal with clients. It’s all you.
- Can Colored Text Turn You Into an Online Speed-Reader?A BROWSER EXTENSION CALLED BEELINE READER ADDS COLOR GRADIENTS TO PARAGRAPHS OF TEXT ON THE WEB. IT’S NOT EXACTLY PRETTY, BUT IT SEEMS EFFECTIVE AT INCREASING READABILITY.
- Personal Branding for Introverts
I had just finished a talk at a leading technology company when an engineer approached me. “I liked your ideas about personal branding, and I can see how they’d work,” he told me. “But most of them aren’t for me — I’m an introvert. Is there anything I can do?” What he didn’t realize is that (like an estimated one-third to one-half of the population) I’m one, too.
- Women in Business: What I Learned From Leaning Into The Boys ClubTALK IT OUT, BUT DON’T TAKE BUSINESS PERSONALLY. ONE WOMEN SHARES LESSONS LEARNED WORKING WITH THE ALL-MALE TEAM AT FASHION TECH STARTUP WANTERING.