Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 1 January 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- A Freelancer’s Guide to Planning for and Buying a Home
- The Dark Side of CreativityThe path to new ideas is often a turbulent one.Tags: Design Business
- The Second Leap: How to Go from Lone Freelancer to Full-Fledged EntrepreneurYou’ve been freelancing for a few years now. Perhaps business is booming and you’re considering hiring help. Or you’re tired of working “for others” and see yourself as more than a lone gun for hire. You may not have much capital or a 10-year business plan, but the evolution from freelancing to small business feels like the natural progression.
- Drawing Vector Graphics [Video Course]Join professional illustrative designer Von Glitschka as he shares his experience on how to research, sketch, build, and present vector graphics.Tags: Vector Illustrator
- Create a Glowing 3D Text Effect With Filter Forge and Photoshop
In this tutorial, we will show you how to combine Photoshop with Filter Forge to create a glowing 3D text effect. We will begin by showing you how to create basic shapes in Photoshop, we’ll then show you how to convert them to 3D, and finally how to add the final touches using Filter Forge and a few of Photoshop’s basic features. Let’s get started!
- An Illustrated History of American Money DesignIt’s not just paper. From the first notes issued by the Continental Congress to the latest star-spangled bills released by the Federal Reserve, the history of money in America is laced with rebellion, propaganda, and—of course—lots and lots of wealth. It’s awkwardly beautiful.
- The 7 Rules of Personal ProductivityIt doesn’t take filing systems, organization or daily plans to run a successful business. Read on to learn what really works -- then do it!
As unproductive as I am, at least by all the popular notions of the day, I’ve somehow managed to accomplish everything I set out to do and have a good time doing it. I have seven rules that keep me on track.
- How 3 Friends Turned a Creative Idea Into a Very Successful Business
- Psychologists: Nice People More Likely to Follow Orders Like Nazis?What researchers discovered was surprising: Those who are described as “agreeable, conscientious personalities” are more likely to follow orders and deliver electric shocks that they believe can harm innocent people, while “more contrarian, less agree…