Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 20 April 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Can ‘They’ Be Accepted as a Singular Pronoun? – WSJ
- Creating Stylized Hair in Adobe IllustratorNote: you can download the brush referenced below, too.Tags: Illustrator vector
- Try my new IFTTT recipe: Archived/Read Pocket App posts archived to list note in EvernoteWhen you mark a Pocket item as “Archived” or “Read,” it’s title, original URL, and the date and time it was originally added to Pocket will be appended to an Evernote note for safe keeping. Change the notebook and note titles if you like. by …
- Try my new IFTTT recipe: Favorite or Starred Pocket App posts saved to list note in Evernote
- Try my new IFTTT recipe: New items saved to Pocket App are also added to a list note in Evernote
- Photoshop Tutorial – Make 3D Type of Found ObjectsIn this tutorial, Thomas Burden will show you how to create this Tom Waits-inspired piece, with a grubby old-school New York coffee house aesthetic. He’ll use a mixture of textures, pre-made brushes, Curves adjustments and colour overlays.
- Chrome Adds Ability to Force Ephemeral ModeEphemeral mode is a function that allows users to browse the Web on a shared device or a personal laptop by using a profile that won’t save any data or history after the browser is closed. The profile is saved to the machine’s disk and the user has the ability to sign in to Chrome Sync, but once the user closes the browser at the end of the session, the profile is destroyed.
- I have not read this, but it looks intresting. Pay Me… Or Else! a free ebook for freelancersI f**king hate it when clients don’t pay. So I wrote a book about dealing with and avoiding such clients.
- OneNote Is Now Truly Free with More Features Than BeforeEvernote no longer rules the roost of note taking apps. Microsoft recently announced OneNote would be more free than ever before. Let us show you what this means in terms of features and functionality.Tags: OneNote Evernote
- What about Android? Adobe teases big happenings for Adobe Mobile on Android
While we initially launched these apps on iOS, we didn’t forget you Android. We’re working hard to develop Android phone support for some of our most popular apps. But we want to do it right, in a way that complements the strengths of the Android user experience and design. While we can’t offer specific release dates, you should expect to see the first of these apps starting in Summer 2015.
- A Business Plan Canvas Tool Made for Reporters, Entrepreneurs and Teachers | PBSVan Achter recently open-sourced a prototyping canvas that was used by each of the 30 projectshe has mentored at Lab Davanac. He calls it the “Lean Journalism Canvas” and it’s based off business modeling tools that outline partners, resources, value propositions, and revenue streams. For each journalism project, Van Achter has students plan out things like hypothesis, team’s legitimacy, storytelling strategy, audience makeup, how they’ll track impact, and how will they generate revenue.