Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 22 January 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Every Writer Who Freaks Out About Negative Reviews Needs To Read This NowMean book reviews are a fact of life nowadays. And if you spend any time in a workshop, you’re going to hear some pretty harsh feedback. But Cecilia Tan, the erotic speculative fiction mastermind behind the Magic University books, has some brilliant advice on her blog.
- Best and Worst Times to Post to Social MediaClocks that display the highest and lowest traffic times for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn to aid businesses in optimal exposure for every postpost.Tags: Marketing SMM
- The 9 Graphic Design Trends You Need to Be Aware of In 2016More than the patterns that emerge from the Popular feeds on Dribbble and Behance, design trends can be a mysterious thing.Tags: design
- Why Designers Love The Ampersand–It Dates Back to PompeiiA romance that dates back to Pompeii.Tags: Design typography
- So You Want to be a Writer… Here’s How to Make it Happen
Sitting in your underwear, hearing voices, talking to people who are not there, mumbling to yourself, Googling how to dispose of bodies and the firing rate of an uzi submachine gun. Assuming this sounds like the ideal life for you—and you don’t want to be certifiably crazy but only a little crazy—then the life of the professional writer is what you’re after. And I’m going to tell you how to make it happen.
- How I Did It: I Left My Corporate Job to Work for Myself“The road to self-employment really began six years ago when I dug myself out of $30,000 in debt and radically changed my money habits. Once I sent in that last payment on my last card, I vowed never to go back.”
- How to Be a Google Power Searcher [Infographic]Use this handy illustrated reference guide to use Google search like a pro.
- 25 Best Sites for Finding Remote WorkThe ultimate list of resources to land a remote job and create the flexible life you’ve been dreaming of.Tags: Freelance
- What NOT To Do If Someone Has Infringed On Your Copyright | #Copyright for #Designers“When someone infringes on your copyright, using your work without your permission, you need to take action, but you MUST take the RIGHT action. Doing it wrong could not only cause you to lose your infringement claim, it could cost you money an…
- Meet The Booming Design Practice That’s Transforming Mexico CityArchitect Fernando Romero tells us what fuels his creative vision, from rapid prototyping to Mayan culture.
- Back up your design decisions with hard dataDo you need to reassure nervous stakeholders about a site design? Add statistical weight to your decisions with Design Quips.
- 3 workspace essentials for the creative freelancerIt’s tempting to view your workspace as merely a utlitarian arrangement: desk, chair, computer, and lamp. But, investing a little in the environment from which you produce your life’s work can vastly improve both the life and the work. You can be as spiritual or as scientific as you’d like about tailoring your workspace to your business and your soul, but I’ve found that creating the perfect space boils down to 3 main characteristics:
- A Step-By-Step Guide To Customizing Your Very Own ‘Hateful Eight’ Poster
- How To Create a WordPress Custom Page TemplateHow To Create a WordPress Custom Page Template at Line25, your #1 web design blog.
- Adobe knows what stock photos will be hot, hot, hot in 2016What is the latest trend in stock photos? Adobe knows.
- Cracking the Instagram Code: Proven Ways to Get More Likes [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Commenting on Videos Embedded in PDFs in Acrobat“This video shows you how to add comments and markups directly on to embedded video within PDF”