Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 24 December 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- InCopy CC Building on the Fundamentals [Video Training] by Pariah Burke
- These Gorgeous Color-Changing Ink Textiles Change With The Environment, Like High-End HypercolorThe stunning accessories in The Unseen’s Air collection are made with color-changing ink.Tags: Fashion Design
- Top 10 Skills We Wish Were Taught in School, But Usually Aren’t
- Introduction to Transmedia Typography [1-Hour Video]Learn about the future of typography in transmedia and mediatecture, which is changing the way designers develop and apply type to solve design challenges.Tags: Typography fonts design
- Experiments: Can A Large Number Of Plugins Affect Your WordPress Site’s Performance?
This is what we’re trying to find out here by doing a few plugin experiments.
- Advertising Is Not a Business Model, and You Don’t Have to Be a Business
Many startups that claim they’ll make money on advertising in the future simply don’t consider the massive scale required to make that a reality. Let’s take the average CPC (cost per click) of a Facebook ad and do the math on what it takes to make $1,000,000 from advertising.
- Creating a Responsive Web Design: Advanced Techniques [1-Hour Video]Learn how to create collapsible menus and add scalable vector graphics (SVGs) to your responsive web design layouts.
- Dress Nicer at Work and 3 Other Ways to Keep Your Job Search Under WrapsLooking for a job while holding down a full-time job can be difficult at times. However, there are a few ways to keep your job search confidential.
- 30 Cute Illustrator Tutorials (From Back in 2014)
- The Downside To Being Super Efficient At WorkWhen it comes to getting promotions, being the most productive person in the office may be hurting your chances.
- How to Build a Better InternetI pay Time Warner Cable $70 a month for broadband that works 70-percent of the time. Just for fun, I recently upgraded to the company’s best, fastest service—300 Mbps—and guess what. After weeks of speed tests, I can confidently say that I don’t get those speeds. Ever.
- 4 Signs Your Time Management Tools Are Doing Their Job
- Artist’s Amazing Paper Typography Will Leave You Amazed
- Mastering Selections in Photoshop CCTopics include:Using the Marquee Selection toolsChanging the color of a selectionInverting a selectionSelecting a shape with the Polygonal Lasso toolWorking with the Magic WandRemoving a subject from the backgroundSelecting color with Color RangeCreat…
- 6 Highly Effective Negotiation TacticsRather than going for a short-term win or a lose-win situation, try these negotiation tactics to help you achieve an outcome that keeps everyone happy.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- 10 Steps on How to Write a White PaperHow to write a paper that sells or collects an email address. At Mequoda, one of our basic principles is to give things away. After all, how can people trust your content until they have a sample? And how will they ever find you again, unless you ask …
- 5 Questions To Make Starting Your Own Business Easier
- Adobe Social Essential Training – manage and measure all aspects of your company’s social media presenceLearn how to use Adobe Social for your social media marketing. Adobe Social is a natural choice for teams that are already working with the Marketing Cloud. It’s a single solution for managing and measuring all aspects of a company’s social media pres…
- 10 Hilarious Charts That Explain What a Designer’s Life is Really Like
Sometimes it’s really hard to explain what’s going on in our life. Due dates, specs, clients, and all sorts of little issues make every single day a challenge — yet other people somehow believe that we just color for a living. These charts are my attempt to show what’s really going on.
- Typical Mistakes Even Experienced Developers Make Writing CSS for WordPress Themes
Despite all your preventive measures, inconsistencies and errors will always want to worm their way in the longer or more complex WordPress theme development projects. In an effort to make debugging and front-end development easier on WordPress CSS developers, here’s a simplified list of most common errors even experienced developers will overlook while writing CSS for WordPress themes.
First off, here are some general best practices and guidelines:
- Do You Know What Kind of Editor You Need for Your Book?Writers contact me all the time, pretty much using these terms interchangeably:Developmental Editor, Copy Editor, Proofreader. All are necessary but separate.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub