Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 25 February 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Ways the Workplace Will Look Different in the Future
Business Insider spoke to futurists with expertise on the workplace to better understand how it could change by the year 2050. These are only predictions, of course, but given the already rapid pace of change underway thanks to advancements in technology, here are nine very likely scenarios we could see in the next few decades.
- The Self-Reliant Individual Is a Myth That Needs Updating
One reason that such characters seem appealing is that, ironically, they are reassuring. They give the comforting impression that anyone could thrive in isolation as they do. This reassurance can be summed up in the declaration made by Henrik Ibsen’s Dr Stockmann at the end of An Enemy of the People (1882), after the locals have persecuted him for revealing that the town’s tourist baths are contaminated. Stockmann declares: ‘The strongest man in the world is he who stands most alone.’
- 15 Proven Ways Your B2C Email Marketing Can Increase Clicks and Revenue
B2c email marketing, or business-to-consumer email marketing involves lower-priced products which gives publishers an array of opportunities for A/B testing days, times, and the best way to get consumers to click. While B2B customers are more business…
- Religious Types: Choosing Divine Ecclesiastical Typography
- The Importance of Design and Marketing Collaboration
We sat down with Dan Slagen, VP of Marketing at Crayon, to learn about how involving marketers in your design process is essential to a successful product.Tags: Design Business
- Protect Yourself by Using Evernote as a Blog Image Archive
- The One Word That Can Change Your Business
This one word can change your life, free you from things that don’t serve you and help you create wonderful things.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance Startup
- How to Create and Save ICO Files in Photoshop on Mac and Windows
ICO files are useful for system icons and website favicons. Photoshop can’t handle the format by default, but with a few easy steps, it will be able to.Tags: Photoshop
- How BuzzFeed’s Jonah Peretti Is Building A 100-Year Media Company
Once the “bored at work” network, BuzzFeed is now a globally distributed digital media powerhouse read by 79 million people every month.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership
- Making Your Online Writing Portfolio Work for You – 5 Useful Tips
Portfolios are becoming less and less optional. Job-seekers, freelancers, and small businesses can establish and enhance their brands, give others a real chance to see their work, talent, and skills, and generally become more visible online. Whether you are a craftsman who remodels homes, a web designer, a freelance writer, a musician, a wedding planner, caterer, or most anything else, you need a portfolio. And with all of the great tools available, you can have that portfolio up and running in no time. Here are 5 useful tips for making your portfolio shine and begin to really work for you.
- Why Slow Internet and Getting Stuck In Traffic Makes You Snap
Having a slow internet connection and being in slow traffic aren’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Then how come it infuriates us almost instantly? Here’s why we snap, and how we snap out of it, according to a neuroscientist.
- Millennials don’t eat cereal because they’re too lazy to clean bowls – The Washington Post
There is another thing happening, which should scare cereal makers — and, really, anyone who has a stake in this country’s future — more: A large contingent of millennials are uninterested in breakfast cereal because eating it means using a bowl, and bowls don’t clean themselves (or get tossed in the garbage).
- Americans Are Moving to Europe for Free College Degrees
Americans can get a free college degree at 44 schools in Europe -- including all public colleges in Germany, Iceland, Norway and Finland.
- Your Freelance Writing Career – The State of the Business
If you are trying to make a living as a full-time, or part-time freelance writer, you need to establish the authority, character…Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- Why We Started Our Own Design Consultancy
Taking a project from pitch to presentation means you literally have to know how to do everything.Tags: Design Business
- What’s It Like to Work in Graphic Design Today? Graphic Designers Surveyed
Last year, publishing house GraphicDesign& conducted an extensive survey about what it’s like to work in graphic design today. Here, Lucienne Roberts and Jessie Price of GD& talk through some of their findings, covering everything from pay and hard work, to clients, creativity and colour.
- 33 Free GIF Preloaders PSD Designs
In this compilation below, you’ll find some of the best Free Downloadable GIF Preloaders PSDs which might handy for your design projects. This is not the traditional long list with all the available PSD templates on the internet but it’s an refined collection of best handpicked PSD templates.
- Create Vector Whiskey on the Rocks Using Adobe Illustrator
In this project we will learn how to create a complex vector image step by step and study a lot of techniques, such as the Gradient Mesh, Dynamic Blend, Clipping Mask, Dynamic Art Brushes, Blend Art Brushes, etc. The basic principle of the creation of…
- Publishing Contract Termination Fees: Why They’re Bad for Authors
Why are termination fees a red flag? Obviously they are onerous for authors, who might have good reason to want to end a contract early, and can’t do so without opening up their wallets.Tags: Writing AmWriting
- 5 Surprising Ways You Can Evaluate A Potential Employer On Social Media
You know employers are judging your social media profiles, but with a little digging, you can find out a lot about a company online, too.
- Failing or Succeeding? How to Diagnose Your Company
- What Skills Make A Good Designer?