Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 26 October 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 8 Tips for Running a Virtual Meeting Like a RockstarMany companies, like us, now have dispersed team members. We love the freedom to hire amazing people regardless of where they live. As a manager, however, how do you run meetings like a rockstar when your entire team is not around the same phys…
- Make smart design decisions for wearablesSensory UX principles will help you communicate messages to your users via the sense of touch.Tags: UX UI Design Wearables
- Use this Free Photoshop Template to Freak Out Your Facebook FriendsWith Halloween on the way, now is the time to start sharing spooky photos on Facebook. Here’s how to freak out your friends!
- 10 Productivity Apps Every Freelancer Needs
he good news? You don’t have to go it alone. In today’s digitally powered world, online tools abound that can address a great many of the typical freelancer’s productivity, workflow, organizational, and intellectual needs. A well-curated selection of apps, websites, and software provides additional arrows in your creative quiver—not to mention sanity. To help you refresh your workflow, we’ve curated 10 apps that have captured our attention:
- The Strongest El Niño in Decades Is Going to Mess With EverythingIt has choked Singapore with smoke, triggered Pacific typhoons and left Vietnamese coffee growers staring nervously at dwindling reservoirs. In Africa, cocoa farmers are blaming it for bad harvests, and in the Americas, it has Argentines bracing for l…
- Pandora investors are losing faith in its ability to competeThe streaming music service says revenue is growing strongly, but its costs are rising even faster.Tags: Pandora Spotify AppleMusic
- The wonderful, true story of the ERMAHGERD meme“GERSBERMS. MAH FRAVRIT BERKS” -- and a meme was born.The meme was pretty much perfect, a super-awkward tween frozen in a moment of crazy nerding-out over some super-awkward tween books. Combine that with the wordplay in which every vowel sound is “st…
- A $750 Pill And Its Brash Owner Get Competition — And It Costs $1Turing Pharmaceuticals, a months-old biotech startup that is largely financed by its 32-year-old founder and CEO Martin Shkreli, sparked widespread outrage..
- 7 tips for getting paid more as a designerNail salary negotiations with this handy guide to getting a pay rise.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance Design
- How to Design Great Infographics – How University
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognize basic styles of infographics, and how to choose the right one for the project
- Create a “flow” for the content—enabling the user to grasp smaller chunks of information—by focusing on placement, color and size
- Apply color & contrast principles to your infographics, to emphasize content, design on-brand and avoid distractions for the user
- Choose typefaces that enhance your infographics by increasing readability and add style
- Design your own infographic
- When You Should Design “Badly” On PurposeTry designing a mockup in which you make all the wrong decisions on purpose. You may find it strangely productive.Tags: Design GraphicDesign
- If You Want To Write, You CanFear stops most people from writing, not lack of talent, whatever that is. Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- These Are the Best Wildlife Photographs of 2015