Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 6 February 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- The Secrets of Design LeadershipThe Spanish-born designer on the winding path from freelancer to running some of the world’s best digital agencies.Tags: Design Entrepreneur leadership
- The 5 Building Blocks of Interaction DesignLearn the essentials of interaction design, and the straightforward process for applying them, in this free guide.Tags: Ui UX design
- How to Save the World With Sustainable DesignThe UN wants all our designs to be sustainable. Robyn Mitchell explains how, with top examples of sustainable design.
- Meet The Man Who Created Papyrus, The World’s (Other) Most Hated FontChris Costello sold Papyrus for the equivalent of $2,500 when he was 23. He never could’ve guessed how big it would becomeor how reviled.
- How to Start an Online Magazine with These Five StrategiesAre you ready to learn how to start an online magazine? Try these tips!Tags: DPS ePublishing digipub editorial
- How To Finally Stop Procrastinating (For Real This Time)Your brain has a neocortex and a limbic system, and sometimes they fight. Here’s how to get them to play nice.
- Advice for Becoming a UX DesignerBeyond that, here are some practical tips for anyone who’s thinking of getting into UX design professionally.
- How to Get Your Next Creative Pitch RightCreative presentations can be rough. Here are some tips.Tags: Design Business
- How to Talk with Publishers and Agents
Many writers feel self-conscious when sitting down with a publisher or literary agent. In any social situation, the key to reducing butterflies is to take the focus off yourself. Don’t worry about what they think of your ideas, whether or not they like you, just focus on the other person. The easiest way to do this is to ask people about themselves, about their writing, about how their day is going. If you are genuinely interested in them, you will become interesting to them.
- 5 Numbers Every Freelancer Needs to KnowPaul Boag explains five key measurements of freelance success and what they mean, in an extract from a new book by FreeAgent.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance
- Why Do Fascists Have Such Good Graphic Design?It is a paradox that the Nazis, Italian Fascists and Spanish Falangists had some of the most alluringly powerful graphic design.Tags: Design GraphicDesign
- How to Make Your Flight Attendant Like You
Maybe you don’t want to please your cabin crew next time you fly. I know, I know, it’s their job to be nice, you’re the customer, they’re the employee. But if you’re good to them, they’ll be extra nice to you. So here’s how to charm them.
- How to Manage Tasks Using Japanese Kanban TechniqueKanban is a Japanese recipe for getting things done. It’s an organization technique originally developed for Toyota’s production line. We show you how you can implement it for yourself or in your team.Tags: productivity todo gtd Kanban Trello
- 5 Habits Of Creative EntrepreneursThe fear of not having enough to show for our efforts holds us back from creating anything at all.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance Startup
- This Is What It’s Really Like to Be a Cookbook EditorLet me disabuse you of some notions.Tags: Writing AmWriting AmEditing