Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 9 December 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- What does the future of work look like?
Singh believes that desktop apps are on their way out. “Sure, some people work on their desktops, but they’re increasingly getting more done on mobile devices. In the future, you’ll be spending even more time on them, away from your desk.”
- 30+ Free Flat UI (User Interface) Kits For DesignersThese free flat user interface kits are perfect for web & mobile UI designers, developers and design agencies.Tags: UX UI Design
- The Rise of the Emoji in BrandingBefore we all begin decrying the fall of civilization, let’s stop to review emojis for a moment. We know that an image can be incredibly effective in capturing the feelings and thoughts of someone, and breaking across the limits of language. Think back to the most compelling photographs of the last century—the haunted, compelling eyes of a young Indian girl staring from the cover of National Geographic or the enthusiastic joy of a sailor celebrating the end of WWII with a kiss. Pictures have a power to immediately draw and communicate a host of sensation and feelings.
- How to Clone Your Best EmployeeWish all your employees were like your best employee? Here are tips for creating more rockstars in your business.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- For This Interior Designer, Relationships Come FirstBy cultivating a network of artisans, Jeannine Williams has built a thriving interior design firm-and enjoyed every minute of it.Tags: Design Business Freelance
- easybook – Create eBooks from Markdown700 page ebook published in 4 seconds (that’s 6 times faster than most of our competition)
- 5 Secrets to Awesome User DesignWhile there is much to learn about user experience best practices, there are secrets that can guide you to quicker, better decisions. Outlined below are five secrets to creating user experiences focusing specifically on user end goals.Tags: UX UI Desi…
- Music Law: Managing a Band’s Business [1-Hour Video Course]Learn to avoid the major music business and legal pitfalls that can break bands apart, such as financial mismanagement and contract disputes.
- How to Make a Big Impression With a Tiny TeamThanks to technology, freelancers just like you and me can collaborate on projects without hopping on a plane. But there are some things you need to do to make sure that you can wow your client with a tiny team.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance
- Pushbullet’s New Paywall Is a Perfect Example of How NOT to Monetize an AppIn the ongoing struggle between users wanting free services and developers trying to eat, Pushbullet has emerged as the heel.Tags: Entrepreneur PushBullet StartUp
- Why The Promise Of Unlimited Cloud Storage Keeps Getting BrokenA worry-free online file repository makes sense on paper, but reality often gets in the way.
- Eight Uncommon Typography and Punctuation Marks
- Pantone Collaborates with Street Artists for Color of the YearSelecting two colors as their PANTONE Color of the Year for the first time, the trend company took to Instagram to show off their collaboration with artists Man One, Victor Quinonez, and Werc AlvarezTags: PANTONE
- Photoshop for Designers: Working with ShapesShapes are key to the most iconic graphic designs in history. They’re also the secret weapons of busy designers, enabling them to whip up cool, crisp graphics quickly. Watch this course to learn the ins and outs of creating professional designs and ar…
- Copywriting Principles That Will Make New Users Love YouAppcues’ Jackson Noël talks about how good copywriting should build enthusiasm, relieve common user anxieties, tell users why, and reflect your mission.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- An In-Depth Look At The Beautiful Color Palettes Of The 20th CenturyAuthor Katie Greenwood took the time to study the various color palettes popular throughout the 20th century, focusing on colors that appeared commonly in fashion and design. Her book titled 100 Years of Colors features 100 carefully chosen images which represent a color palette from every year of the 20th century.
- Traditional Homepages Are Obsolete, Says Quartz. Here’s What They Built Instead.Quartz doesn’t think online publications should have homepages. Instead, they should have faces that show off their personality.Tags: Branding Marketing
- Syte – Set Up a Simple Personal Site with Built-in Social IntegrationsSyte is a really simple but powerful packaged personal site that has social integrations like Twitter, GitHub, Dribbble, Instagram, Foursquare, Tumblr, WordPress, Last.fm, SoundCloud, Bitbucket, StackOverflow, Flickr and Steam.
- There’s a hidden portrait under the Mona Lisa, says French scientistA French scientist says he’s found a hidden portrait underneath that enigmatic smile using reflective light technology. The version in the Louvre might not be of silk merchant’s wife Lisa Gherardini, as is widely believed, and could be of a different …
- Swearing Politely With TextExpanderA set of TextExpander macros to “cartoon censor” less friendly words online. Thus “mothertruckers” becomes “&%^*#$!¡@ø@ers” and “ducking” becomes “ø&¡$ing.”
- Net Neutrality Is Back In Court AgainA federal appeals court is issuing a ruling today that could undo regulations protecting the principle.Tags: NetNeutrality