Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 9 November 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 3 Niche Membership Website Ideas You Can Profit From
As online publishing evolved, we realized that “membership” really only describes one model. Here’s the general description of this model:
- Twitter Favorites Had To Die So That Twitter Could Live–Not That It Matters to YouToday, Twitter turned all your faves into likes, swapping out a star for a heart. This represents a huge and important paradigm shift in the world of technology and culture at large. Haha, okay. You got me! None of this shit matters. None of it! Or no…
- 12 Ways to Get an Industry Rock Star to Join Your StartupThe right talent changes everything.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs Startup
- Writing Gender Sensitive LanguageHere are some quick tips to ensure that your writing is gender sensitive:Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- How to Illustrate a Gradient Mesh Tomato in Adobe Illustrator
- Pariah Burke on the Biggest Challenge Facing Designers, Inspiration to be a Designer, More
“Rather than a title, I sum up my professional role in my tagline: Inspiring, Informing, and Empowering Creative Professionals.™
That’s what I do, day in, day out: I work as hard as I can to inspire, inform, and empower creative professionals so that they can do their chosen professions and projects with a minimum of frustration and as few obstacles as possible and with a maximum of productivity, creativity, and enjoyment. I do that through writing books and articles, producing videos and live broadcasts, appearing on stage at conferences and events, giving workshops and webinars, providing websites and newsletters, and offering fully-customized, learner- and workflow-specific training classes and consultation.”
- Corporate phrases that everybody is overAt this point, “outside the box” is such a cliché that using it shows you’re thinking “inside the box.”
Soon however, it seemed everybody in business was using that phrase.
- The Bizarre History of Webdings
It seems to be the 1990s pre-emoji language that never took off… or an anomaly that exists for no reason at all. Where did Webdings come from? How is it different from Wingdings and Zapf Dingbats? Why were these weird typefaces created in the first place? And are there hidden messages within them?
I decided to find out.
- How Many Of These 25 Retro Tech Sounds Do You Remember?Typewriters, floppy drives, the original Playstation starting up. Which of the following, aged tech sounds, do you remember? Which other sounds take you back?
- Screw Finding Your Passion
Today I received approximately the 11,504th email this year from a person telling me that they don’t know what to do with their life. And like all of the others, this person asked me if I had any ideas of what they could do, where they could start, where to “find their passion.”
- Dealing With Loud And Silent BurnoutWe’ve all experienced that burnout moment. It’s that moment when we’ve got nothing left to give but keep trying anyway. Here’s how to avoid it.
- What’s On Designers’ Bookshelves? Photos Tell the TaleGraphic designers, fashion designers, Web designers, UI/UX designers, and more show off their bookshelves--books, toys, and décor.Tags: Design
- When a client hurts your feelingsThe nuSchool’s Lior Frenkel gives his best advice for dealing with not-so-nice clients.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance