Creative Community Bulletin 29 January 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Web Standards for Writers
“Remember the bad old days of all those “writing for the web” articles? Now, people writing for the web don’t just have other writers to rely on for advice—they have real, live standards to follow! Hooray!
Here, I’ve pulled together some of those standards, and explained why they’re useful, and for what kinds of web writing. If you have others to add, we’d love to hear about them too.”
- 12 Sneaky Easter Eggs Hiding in Your Mac
“Apple likes to have the last laugh. Over the years, the company has put a variety of Easter eggs — hidden tricks and features, for the uninitiated — in its line of Mac products.
From clever photos to secret games, Mac developers have found plenty of ways to slip subtle messages into the personal computers. It’s a mark of pride and a veritable rite of passage for product creators.”
- Pew: Half of Americans now own tablet or e-reader
“Half of U.S. adults now own either a tablet or e-reader. The latest research from the Pew Internet & American Life project found that the holiday period drove ownership of these devices to 50% up from 43% last September.”
- Artist Transforms The City Of Chicago Into A Giant Typography Playground“Audra Hubbell embarked upon this artistic endeavor for her MFA thesis, in which she explored the power of large-scale typography. By projecting gigantic, single letters onto Chicago’s buildings, streets and art installations, Hubbell illuminat…
- 10 Surprising Indicators Of Genius“Those with the highest IQs can often be found engaging in what would be considered anything but intellectual pursuits. Chances are. you may know a bona fide genius or even be one yourself.”
- How to add fonts (free!) to your desktop apps through Creative Cloud #CreativeCloud“Follow the steps to browse and choose fonts on the Typekit website, and then sync them to your desktop computer. You can use Typekit fonts in all of your installed applications that support desktop fonts, including your Adobe apps.”
- Serif vs. Sans: the Final Battle [Infographic]
“This clever infographic — that smartly draws upon humor to drive home its points — offers a simple, insightful conclusion that designers should bear in mind: “The best font choices are ones where readers do not notice the font … but the message.””
- Death Blow to CSS Regions? Google Rejects Adobe Web Publishing Tech“The CSS Regions would have helped ease magazine-like layouts on the Web. But Google’s priority now is on performance, not features — especially mobile browser performance.”
- Web Design Trends for 2014
“2013 saw a slew of new trends, some of which have begun to fade out and others that stuck around and are still going strong. While 2014 is just getting started, let’s take a look at some of the web design trends that have started to emerge or that we can expect to see in the coming year.