Design Business Links 26 March 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Do Anti-depressants Stifle Creativity?
“It can be an (often terrifying) catch-22; do you need to be a little “mad” in order to be a great artist, and if you lose that madness, do you lose any of your creative spark? It’s an issue Lyons herself was dealing with when she started suffering intense anxiety and depression that was crippling her life, but (in the final year of her MFA) she was also terrified of losing her artistic edge.”
- Is it time you got an (illustration or design) agent?“From bringing in big-name clients to taking care of admin headaches, agent representation could supercharge your career. We explain how to go about it.”
- Rembrandt Recovered in Southern France“Investigators have announced the recovery of a Rembrandt painting 15 years after it was stolen from a museum in Southeastern France in the midst of a passing military parade.”
- Does the Snooze Button Turn You into a Zombie?“A few more minutes of precious sleep can be incredibly tempting in the morning, but the snooze button might not be your friend. Those extra minutes of sleep will impede the wake-up process and turn you into a groggy zombie. The wide-awake user…
- Should You Freelance? Weighing The Pros and Cons #Infographic“Some people choose to freelance. Others are forced to. Depending on how you look at it, the life of a freelancer can either be really great, balanced and rewarding; or unstable, challenging and unproductive.
- Overcome the Fear of Failure With These 6 Questions
“In his book, A More Beautiful Question, Warren Berger interviews serial entrepreneur and writer Jonathan Fields, who tells us that asking ourselves: “What would I do if I knew I couldn’t fail”?” is the type of question that makes us powerless. Instead, Fields says, we should ask these alternate questions. ”
- Making iPad apps in InDesign just got easier“Adobe’s added some smart new features to its Digital Publishing Suite. Find out what they are here.
- Why You Need a “Think Week” Like Bill Gates
“Want to experience flashes of creative insight akin to those Bill Gates and artist Chuck Close have? Skillshare CEO Michael Karnjanaprakorn recommends you do what he (and those great thinkers) do, take a week off work:”
- Can I Be Funny at Work Without Ruining My Reputation?“you’ve actually hit on one frequently overlooked career tool: making people laugh. It’s not just about making your workday more fun, either. Developing a good sense of humor can help your career.”
- New tool makes accounting easy for freelancers“Zenvoice is a simple invoicing tool for freelancers that promises to greatly simplify the way most people of us do small-scale accounting.”