Design Business Links 5 March 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- 3 New Tricks To Clean Up Your Facebook News Feed
“With Facebook turning 10 recently, you may have realised just how long you’ve been a part of the social network yourself. In that time, you probably made friends with lots and lots of people for many different reasons — some may not be very relevant anymore. It’s probably time to clean up your feed, isn’t it?
- Terrible Web Design Trends
“From puka shell necklaces to planking, the power of trends is undeniable. In a digital age dominated by social media, memes, and an audience with an ever-shortening attention span, trends have become a part of Internet life.
And as the Web continues to adolesce, web design is subjected to rapidly changing trends as well.
Continuously developing design and development technologies mean that trends in our industry quickly come and go.
I’ll discuss some of the worst web design trends we have seen throughout the Internet’s history, many of which are — thankfully — not that common anymore.”
- Digital Arts’ 20 Best Illustrator Tutorials“Learn techniques for Adobe Illustrator across vector art, vector graphics, typography, pattern design and more.
- The Science Behind Fonts (And How They Make You Feel)
“Typography and kerning don’t only serve to make things pretty, they can also affect how you feel and perceive what you’re reading. Mikael Cho, the co-founder of ooomf, created a guide (complete with pictures and how-to’s) on how everything from sizes, to styles, and line spacing can make you feel good.
- Why you’re designing for the wrong audience (and how to fix it)“Do you have a dribble account, share all your work to social networks or constantly ask for critiques of your work from other designers?
Non of those things are bad in and of themselves.
They could however be symptoms of a much bigger proble…
- How I Got My Stolen Laptop Back Within 24 Hours Using Prey“After driving for a while to our next destination thinking the laptop was long gone, I sort of remembered downloading a tracking program a while back after hearing about Sean Power recovering his laptop after it was stolen.P
- Start Your Morning Off with Funny Videos to Be More Creative“A study published in Psychological Science demonstrated that beginning your workday with regular news didn’t do much to help creative problem solving. Hearing something tragic or depressing like a natural disaster was even worse. However, view…
- Designerbox: the design-led subscription box service unveils its latest edition
“There’s nothing quite like the excitement of receiving a surprise gift in the post, and its even better if the gift in question turns out to be a beautifully made, limited edition design object. It was this experience that Bénédicte Colpin and Tomas Erel, founders of Iconic Product Collection (IPC), had in mind when they conceived Designerbox.com: a design-minded subscription box service.”
- 30 Fresh & Creative Product Packaging Designs
“Creative packaging whether if it’s for a consumer product or for marketing material can mean the success of downfall of your product. Here are some fresh and creative product packaging designs we’ve found scattered throughout the internet. Perhaps some of these examples will inspire you when it comes to creating that unique direct mail piece or street marketing handout. It never hurts to get a little creative and try something new and out of the box!