Today in Design – Top Articles RoundUp 20 June 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Publishing Update 1406 : Why Newspapers, magazines, books, print media?David Pilcher sums it up beautifully, there’s just nothing quite like a glossy magazine cover! Standing at the magazine rack/stand in your favorite grocery or pharmacy, you see a broad spectrum of selections in print. They’re all beautiful, but…
- Superb Design Creates Hidden Meanings In Tech Company LogosWe picked 17 tech company logos that have hidden, subtle, or otherwise clever messages inside their famous brand marques. They include a Facebook logo that secretly indicates another company it hoped to kill, a message you won’t get unless you …
- Google Doing Evil? YouTube Blocking Musicians That Won’t Sign Up For Its New Service
YouTube is getting ready to release its ad-free music streaming service, but a report from The Financial Times says the company will block videos from any independent artists who don’t sign up for the new paid service.
- The Calligraphic Stylings of Type Designer Kourosh Beigpour
Kourosh Beigpour received his Bachelor’s in Art at the University of Tehran, and his Master’s in Malaysia, where he worked on Persian-Arabic font design and generated new fonts based on manuscript. We were inspired by his beautiful posters and asked him to share them with us.
- Awesome Website Designs with Video Backgrounds
Rather than use simple colored backgrounds or photos, designers are using videos to create more impressive, interesting and remarkable experience. And HTML5 makes much easier to implement in a way that’s accessible. This post rounds up 22 Awesome Website Designs that have adopted a stunning video background.
- 10 Awesome Vintage Photoshop Tutorials
If you’d like to learn how to create your own vintage-inspired designs, check out our excellent collection of vintage Photoshop tutorials.
- How to Get Sh*tty Clients in 3 Easy Steps
You want the shittiest clients possible, and today I’m going to show you exactly how to do it. You know the client types: Low paying, highly controlling and never happy with your work, no matter how great the project comes out.
These are the clients you want and these are the clients I am going to teach you how to get.
Curious to know how to get the shittest clients? Here’s a few quick tips to put you on your way to the most horrible working experience possible as a freelancer.
- If half the world did this, Facebook and Twitter would be more pleasant places to be.
That’s the bad news. The good news is that it is surprisingly easy to tell quackery apart from real medical information. Quack claims are typically decorated with red flags … if you know what to look for. What follows is a list of some of those red flags.
- Property Law Primer for Multimedia DevelopersAN UNDERSTANDING OF LEGAL ISSUES is essential to success in the multimedia industry. Mistakes can cost the multimedia developer tens or even hundred of thousands of dollars in legal fees and damages.
- How To Create Typography Illustrations the Easy Way
We’ll be creating a trendy hand lettering style quote illustration, except with this method there’s no hand lettering required! Usually this artwork would be carefully hand drawn and scanned, but instead we’re going to cheat and use digital techniques to safely tweak the text until we’re happy then fake that analogue look with textures.