Today in Design – Top Articles RoundUp 27 January 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Judging Films Before They ReleaseThese statements, more often than not, arrive before seeing little or no evidence to support such a claim.Tags: SuicideSquad BatmanvSuperman
- WhatsApp Is Now Free For Everyone, No Subscription RequiredWhatsApp is one of the most popular alternative messaging apps in the world, despite charging most users $0.99 per year. Now, that fee is going away for everyone.Tags: WhatsApp
- The 28 Best Tools for Choosing a Colour SchemeCreating a colour scheme is essential to good design. We’ve gathered together some fantastic tools to help you perfect your colour choices.
- Jack Dorsey’s first 90 days at Twitter CEOJack Dorsey has worked to fix many things at Twitter during three months as CEO, but the stock is languishing and investors are still waiting for the big plan.Tags: Twitter
- The Bare Truth about Digital Textbooks
- How Managers Become Leaders: Navigating the Seven Seismic Shifts
- The Trickle-Down Effect of Good (and Bad) LeadershipWe wanted to know how such “social contagion” affects leaders. We already know that good leadership creates engaged employees and that leaders influence a variety of outcomes such as personnel turnover, customer satisfaction, sales, revenue, productivity, and so on. But if you’re a good leader, do you make the people around you more likely to become good leaders as well? And which behaviors are most readily “caught”?
- How to Design for Screen More Efficiently With IllustratorAdobe Illustrator is a great tool for designing icons and other vector graphics for both print and screen. But as a designer who creates artwork primarily for screen, I have found that some unconventional methods in Illustrator can make it even more e…
- The Best Way to Contact People for Generating New Paid WorkI regularly emphasise that the best thing you can do for your freelance business (or any business, really) is to regularly connect with relevant people.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership
- One Woman Photoshopped by 18 Countries: Body Beauty Standards RevealedInspired by that project, the UK medical website Superdrug Online Doctor just published a similar experiment that explores body image.This is the original portrait that was sent out to 18 freelance designers in 18 countries around the world:
- Losing Copyrights through Social MediaAre companies, like Olapic and Candid.io, taking control of images that you upload to social media?Tags: Copyright IP IPLaw Art Design Illustration
- Comical Thoughts That You’ve Probably Had During Dull MeetingsWe know you hate them—those dry, boring work get-togethers that everyone can’t wait to escape from.
This amusing clip…
- Social Media for NonprofitsLearn about social media for nonprofits. Discover the best free and paid marketing strategies for promoting nonprofits on social media, including Facebook and Twitter.Tags: nonprofit dogood change
- Clients From Hell: Being Underpaid and UndervaluedEven with a contract and a deposit in place, things go wrong in this anonymous accounts of client woes courtesy of clientsfromhell.net.Tags: Design Business
- 25 Tips for Staying Sane as a FreelancerBanish procrastination, boost productivity, network more effectively and always get paid with these pro tips for freelancers.Tags: Freelance
- What 2015 Taught Us About Ad BlockingBut for mainstream U.S. Internet users, 2015 is the year ad blocking was front page news.Tags: adblockalypse
- What If “Fake It ‘Til You Make It” Never Ends?Mary Elizabeth Ellis of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Grinder on the best approach to tackling impostor syndrome.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs