Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 6 January 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 85 Most Powerful Photos Of The 21st Century That Are Hard To Forget
In this collection, we’ve listed some of the most powerful photographs of the 21st century that perfectly capture the human emotion related to the love, innocence, despair, loss, action, and undying perseverance within all of us. We’ve compiled this collection by taking into account cultural significance, news value and overall aesthetics.
- Twitter May Increase Tweets To 10,000 Characters, But Hide All Past 140
On the other hand, one of the best things about Twitter is the information density. Since users have to condense their thoughts into bite-size knowledge nuggets, it’s easy to learn a lot while quickly scrolling through the timeline. Dropping the character limit could dilute the stream with babbling, and make us interrupt scrolling to constantly expand tweets to their full length.
- 5 Ways to Be Productive as a Part-Time Founder
Working on a start-up while doing 12-hour shifts as doctor is pretty gruelling. More often than not, I would come home completely destroyed and want to collapse into bed. Also, there are the night shifts, the weekend shifts, the unholy hours worked that was probably during a public holiday.
- The Startup PlaybookTo have a successful startup, you need: a great idea, a great market, a great team, a great product, and great execution.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- Managing Projects with Box.com [1-Hour Video]Learn how to manage your projects with Box, the online content management software.Tags: gtd leadership
- Adobe Illustrator Tutorial: Create Vintage Type StylesBobby Haiqalsyah explains how to create a stunning piece of retro typography in IllustratorTags: Vector Illustrator
- Lumosity Has to Pay $2 Million for Lying About Its Bullsh*t Brain Games Lumosity, which created a brain game powerhouse by telling people it could make them smarter, is paying for its lies. Lumos Labs will pay the Federal Trade Commission $2 million for deceptive trade practices.
- How to Create a Unique Abstract Line Background in PhotoshopIn this tutorial I will show you how to create an abstract background using gradients,vector shapes and layer styles to create the illusion of depth. The results can then be customized and made unique to your own personal preference.Tags: Photoshop Gr…
- The ‘Manterruption’: Speaking While Female
- The Great Divide In Content Marketing [Infographic]
Embraced by brands and marketing professionals around the world, content marketing continues to capture budget and priority in the marketing mix. But there’s a startling contrast in the motivations behind content marketing and the actual results. Check out this infographic that shows how the actual results of content marketing don’t always line up with what we’re intending or expecting from our efforts – and a few important tips for marketers seeking to close that gap. How are your content marketing results comparing with your ambitions? Any big disconnects you’ve seen in what content is supposed to be doing vs. what it’s actually doing for your business?
- Create Delicious Donut Text That Will Make You Hungry
In this tutorial, I will walk you through the process of making a yummy sweet text in Photoshop. We will use the basic tools and effects along to achieve the final outcome in short time. So let’s begin!
- What Successful Companies Do DifferentlyWondering what a successful company does differently? Read Dr. Melissa Hughes’ ideas and get motivated to make changes that will make real progress.
- How To Increase Your Employee’s Productivity With Video ConferencingWondering how you can increase employee productivity? Click here to read a few tips!Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership
- How to hack your passion. Why ‘do what you love’ is bad advice.
- Web Design Trend Showcase: Super GradientsAfter the dominance of flat colours in web design I’ve noticed a new trend of gradient use beginning to emerge. Gradients are nothing new in web design, but the CSS property of
linear-gradientnow allows designers to add vibrant spectrums of colour directly to their code, rather than the traditional method of creating a gradient image in Photoshop. One advantage of the CSS approach is the gradient can be scaled to any size, which makes it great for screen filling gradient backgrounds. Today’s showcase features 25 examples of these super gradients used as backgrounds, headers and overlays.
- Delightful Business Cards Designed To Look Like Tiny, Popular Classic NovelsThese unique business cards designed to look like tiny books will surely leave a lasting impression on potential clients.
Singapore-based…Tags: Design Inspiration
- Artists’ Brains Are Structurally Different, Study Finds
Do artists have different brains than the rest of us? Or do our brains change when we do art regularly?
A study published last week in the journal NeuroImage confirms that artists do indeed have different brains — and regular art practice can permanently change our brain structures.
- 140+ Google Services & Tools You Should Know (And Bookmark)Mention Google products and you’d probably think of Google Search, Gmail, Chrome, YouTube or Android but there are actually more than a hundred Google services
- Make Tax Prep Easier With a Three Folder SystemIn the next several weeks, our 1099s, W2s, and other tax-related documents will be making their way to our mailboxes. This means a big mess of paperwork come April. Make it easy on yourself by organizing everything in a three folder system.
- 5 Psychological Tips to Use on Tricky ClientsGot a killer idea? Here are five psychological theories for helping influence your clients.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance
- The Art of Socializing – Guy Kawasaki on Social Media MarketingSocial media is free and ubiquitous, and offers entrepreneurs an unprecedented marketing opportunity. Here are five practical tips on using it effectively.Tags: Marketing SMM socialmedia