Design Business Links 24 March 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Adobe’s Controversial Subscription Model Proves Surprisingly Popular – Businessweek
“When Adobe (ADBE) decided last year to shift from being a company that sells software to one that rents it out, consumers were nothing short of furious. Avid Photoshoppers described the subscription model as predatory, complained loudly on forums across the Internet, and petitioned the White House to step in. Then, it seems, they signed up for monthly subs.
- I’m a Telemarketer. Here’s How to Get Rid of MeI’ve worked for a telemarketing company for two years and made a lot of unwanted calls. I have to keep making them because most people don’t know how to get rid of us, but the right approach can make all the difference. Here’s how you can get r…
- How Long You Would Last in a Zombie Apocalypse? #Infographic
“Zombies are everywhere but in real life, taking over our TV screens, comic books and crawling the web. We always joke about an apocalypse, but never really get down to the bottom of this faux-nomenon — if zombies were real, how long would you last?
- Two Factors for Digital Publishing Success“With the digital publishing world constantly expanding and evolving, publishers are needing to become more creative and competitive to reach a larger audience. Aquafadas believes that there are two main factors that publishers should keep in m…
- 45+ Unusual And Free Adobe Photoshop Brush Sets“Check them out and pick the ones you like the best. We hope that you will like this collection and find these amazing Photoshop brush sets useful for you. Feel free to share your opinions with us via comment section below. Your comments are al…
- 9 lessons Mad Men can teach freelance designers
It may be fiction and it may be old-fashioned, but modern freelancers can learn a few things from the dysfunctional dipsomaniacs of Mad Men. Here are nine tips we’ve gleaned from a forensic viewing of this essential series…
- How to Write a Press Release (and 3 Places to Send It)
“Those would be some great long term goals for your press releases, but in the meantime, let’s start with three places you should send your press releases (and might actual get some press attention).”
- 3 Reasons You Need a Financial Spring CleaningHere are three reasons you need a financial spring cleaning:
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Dating A Designer
Well, we’ve discussed the benefits of dating a geek. But what’s life like when you’re dating a designer? They’re geeks as well, right?
- The Economist Says: Adobe’s Bold Embrace of the Computing Cloud Should Inspire Others
“ON MARCH 18th Adobe published its latest quarterly results, showing net income of $47m, down by 28% on a year earlier. It was the fifth quarter in a row in which the maker of professional graphics software, such as Photoshop and Illustrator, had reported a sharp drop in year-on-year earnings. At most listed firms that would trigger a stockmarket bloodbath. Yet Adobe’s share price has soared by 63% over the past 12 months (see chart).
- 10 Great apps for busy freelancers: accounting, contracts, etc.
“Here is a list of 10 tools/apps to support your life as an fantastic freelancer. Whether you’re typing ideas on your smartphone, blogging at your local coffee shop or attending meetings at the latest co-working space, you’ll be synced up and ready to go:
- End The 9 To 5 Workday Once And For All
“Workplace flexibility isn’t just beneficial to millennials but to everyone working at a company from the intern to the CEO. I recently received an email from my friend who works for a technology company with approximately 3,000 employees. She asked her manager about working at home a few days each week like she was able to at her last job and her managers response was this:”
- Improve Your Type Pairings“The website Type Connection helps you improve your typographic eye by casting the pairing of type as an interactive dating game.”
- The Pointlessness of Unplugging
“But how quickly the digital age turned into the age of technological anxiety, with our beloved devices becoming something to fear, not enjoy. What sex was for the Puritans, technology has become for us. We’ve focussed our collective anxiety on digital excess, and reconnecting with the “real” world around us represents one effort to control it.
- Facebook Pages Redesign Begins Rolling Out
“This week, we’ll begin rolling out a streamlined look for Pages on desktop that will make it easier for people to find the information they want and help Page admins find the tools they use most. Here are the key features of the update:”
- Free Photoshop Plugin Gives UI Designers Excellent Shapes“Use the FlatIcon plugin to quickly find the icons you need for your design, without leaving your working enviroment.
- Recorded Books Announces Partnership with FastPencil to Bring Self-Publishing to Librares“Recorded Books has announced a partnership with self-publishing resource FastPencil to bring public libraries an electronic resource that enables established and aspiring authors to create and prepare original works for publication.”
- Ink. A Photoshop Documentor Plugin for Collaborative Design“Ink is a plugin that helps you providing few extra important informations about your mockups by documenting your layers, from typography to effects and shape sizes.”
- 11 Movies that Shaped the Digital Revolution of Cinematography
“Hollywood is changing: Paramount Pictures no longer produces films on celluloid and Old Guard directors like Martin Scorsese are shooting their movies with digital cameras. Here’s a list of important films that helped propel Tinseltown’s controversial shift from film into digital, from niche-market fad to high-profile industry standard.