Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 1 July 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- The Problem with Part-Time Work Is That It’s Rarely Part-TimeAfter using time-diary studies to track 1,001 days in the lives of women who earn six figures and also have kids, I found that many of those on official part-time schedules work well outside the bounds of them.
- How to shoot in tight spacesAlpha Century tells us what they learned from shooting inside a real Boeing 787 with flight staff for recent Virgin Atlantic promo films.Tags: Photography
- How to Keep the World from Distracting You When You Work From HomeA few months ago, I was interviewing someone for a story when I heard a knock at my door. It was my apartment’s maintenance crew, a day late to install something. Before I could pause the interview, the knocking turned into loud banging, and it didn’t take long before my interview subject asked, “are you okay over there?”
- Should Publishers Push Either Digital or Print?
Krehbiel recommends a more straightforward approach; if your readers want print, give them print. Don’t force them to move to digital if they prefer otherwise. He suggests publishers take a “we don’t care” stance on delivery.
- Designer vs. Non-Designer [Infographic]There is a huge difference between how designer vs non designer view art. There is no comparison of skill and design knowledge between the two, and we explain why in this infographic.Tags: Design Business
- Authors: How to Throw the Best Online Party for Your Book. Ever.
So, you’re not renting out the ballroom at the Ritz Carlton for your book release party? Let’s face it, who can? But, just because you’re publishing a book on a budget, it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice the art of entertaining. Think virtually. Online parties are easy on the wallet and the nerves. Plus, they can be an integral part of your social media strategy, which is critical to connecting with readers and ushering them to click on that all-important “Buy Now” button.
- Word Count? How Long Should My Book Be? [Video]Concerned about word count? In this video I discuss how to determine how long your book should be and some best practices when deciding on word count.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- Fiction University: The Dark Side of Digital
The entire publishing industry, from publishers through to agents, is going to base more and more of its acquisition, editorial, and marketing decisions on Big Data (I call this The Hollywood Syndrome, and have written about it on my blog2). If, for instance, it turns out that books in which the villain has a cat enjoy a higher finish rate, trad pubbed authors are going to come under a lot of pressure to make their villains ailurophiles.