Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 10 March 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Why Adobe Believes It Has A Promising Mobile Apps Strategy For The Future | ForbesAdobe mobile apps are designed to be powerful enough for any professional to use and to automate with their workflow. It’s absolutely integrated with the desktop but it’s also worth noting that all of these apps are completely free. Everything runs smoothly on iPad and iPhone, and according to Bryan, Adobe is working hard to get the stuff running on Android devices.
- Revealed: The 30-Year Economic Betrayal Dragging Down Generation Y’S IncomeExclusive new data shows how debt, unemployment and property prices have combined to stop millennials taking their share of western wealth
- The core principles of UI designIn this excerpt from Fundamental UI Design, Jane Portman discusses clarity, flexibility, familiarity, and other UI core principles.Tags: Ui UX design
- The Art of Failing Upward
IN the start-up world, failure is in. No sooner has an entrepreneur failed at a venture in Silicon Valley than he takes to the web — frequently to blogging sites like Medium, which hosts a continuous stream of essays on the topic — or to the stage at industry conferences like FailCon to narrate the failure and the growth he experienced as a result.
- 5 Foundational Writers in Women’s History
- Free e-course—Principles of UX DesignGood UX design boils down to being an advocate for your user, both before, during, and after a product build. But how exactly do you do that?Tags: Ui UX design
- OVLA – Awesome & Creative Typography Design, Graphic Design, Photo Editing iOS App
- Shut Up and Sit Down. Why the Leadership Industry Rules.People who fetishize leadership sometimes find themselves longing for crisis. They yearn for emergency, dreaming of a doomsday to be narrowly averted. To wit: Donald Trump. By making America’s moment of crisis seem as big (or “huge”) as possible, Trump makes himself seem more consequential, too.
- Apple Forced to Pay $450 Million After Supreme Court Rejects E-Book AppealApple’s nearly three year legal battle over charges that it conspired with publishers to raise the price of e-books is finally coming to end. This morningTags: ePublishing eprdctn epub
- It’s Tax Time: A Business Owner’s Survival Guide | OPEN ForumWant to make sure you’re ready to file your business taxes? Get answers to questions around preparation, deductions, returns and more in this tax-focused guide.
- Adobe Experience Design Online Conference Streamed Live on Twitch March 15, 16, 17Join us on Adobe’s Twitch channel March 15th, 16th, and 17th for exclusive content from industry leaders on Experience Design. UX and UI designers will share their knowledge and creative process, creating user interfaces live with Photoshop CC and Pro…
- The ‘Quitter’s Mindset’ Could Be the Secret to SuccessEllen Chisa knew she had to quit Harvard Business School.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- Better Storytelling and Visual Flow Using Storyboard ArtistStoryboarding is and art, no matter if it’s for video, cinema, comic books or other visual sequentials. If you’re writing and producing TV spots, educational films, or other promotional motion pictures then Storyboard Artist is an essential!Tags: Desi…
- Tech Workers Are Increasingly Looking to Leave Silicon ValleyA growing number of engineers and tech workers from the San Francisco Bay Area are looking to leave Silicon Valley for burgeoning tech hubs such as Austin, Texas, and Seattle, Washington, according to a job-search site’s data. Indeed.com found that the share of searches from within the Bay Area for tech jobs outside of it is on the rise. As…
- Do Stuff. Fail Well. Learn More. Repeat.
After looking back at the 2 companies i’ve started, the way I work in a design team and my general approach to giving new ideas a go, I can see that this process is what I’ve been subconsciously doing all along. It has helped me to grow as a young designer, to ensure I am always willing to learn, to have the confidence to try something new and to always be in awe of talented people I’ve worked with.
- 9.0 Earthquake to Hit Portland in the Near Future. Here’s the Epic Story of What Happens Next.A 9.0 earthquake is going to hit Portland in the near future. Here’s the epic story of what happens next.An immersive, reported science fiction saga about surviving the coming mega-quake.Tags: PDX
- Quick Tutorial: Gradient Strokes
In Illustrator, you can’t apply a gradient to strokes the way you normally apply gradients to other objects. You can create a stroke on an object, go Object > Path > Outline Stroke, and then fill the stroke with a gradient, but you won’t be able to change the stroke weight later on. Moreover, you can’t use the Outline Stroke method on type while keeping the text still editable. With the following technique, you will be able to add gradient strokes to objects and text while keeping them still editable!