Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 11 December 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 4 Unique Multi-Platform Publishing Examples by Legacy MagazinesHow these multi-platform publishing examples brought these magazines to rockstar status.Tags: DPS emag digimag
- Influential Designers Talk About Sources of Inspiration
- The Big Mistake Most Non-Profits (and Some Businesses) Make
- Broadband adoption rates and gaps in U.S. metropolitan areas
For many Americans, daily life orbits around a high-speed Internet connection. Workers and students go online to communicate and learn. Families stay in touch through live video feeds. Job seekers often need an electronic resume and an email address for applications. Smartphones put maps, social networks, and video streams in people’s pockets. The American economy has gone digital.
- Best WordPress Plugins – Over 40 Hand-Tested Plugins!
This Ain’t Your Average Best WordPress Plugins Post
This isn’t just some half-baked list of untested plugins that seem super cool and might make me a bunch of affiliate money. No, this is something much better than that. This is a list of the best WordPress plugins ever created since the dawn of time. These are WordPress plugins that solve real problems and do so in a way that won’t damage your website.
- Ten Easy Steps To Get your E-Book Ready For Editing
As an independent author, there’s no getting away from the fact you will need to get your e-book edited professionally by the sort of editor who knows the differences between e-book and print book. However, these quick ten steps will help you prepare your book for the edit and final publication early on in the process. This is a ragbag of formatting and grammar tips, but trust me, your e-book editor will love you forever if you prep your book this way!
- 7 Psychological Ways to Emotionally Connect with Your Blog Readers
How do you create an emotional connection with your blog readers? More importantly, how do you get them so inspired they want to take action, like join your list, opt-in, comment, or buy something? Here are some psychological secrets to keep in mind.
- You Can Now Buy Online Harassment InsuranceAs platforms like Facebook and Twitter struggle with safety, an insurance company is selling a policy to compensate.
- Radiate Charisma With a Technique Everyone Should KnowA behavioural trick that’s linked to higher perceptions of charisma.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- Novelists Are Working Hard To Create Apps That Are Deliberately User-UnfriendlyA decade ago, cutting-edge writers/publishers were crafting books that were physically works of art, in response to the rise of ebooks. Now, those same people are making apps. Miranda July, creator of the instant-messaging app Somebody, talks to Russe…
- 9 Little Known Facts About Mark TwainWe’ve dug up a few surprising, unusual, and definitely true facts about his life. (Twain once wrote,“Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it”—and you, dear Goodreads member, are definitely worthy of the truth).
- What Star Wars Can Teach Us About DesignWe can learn a lot from Star Wars. We can learn about using the Force, how Obi Wan is our only hope, and how to be better designers. Wait, what was that last one?Tags: Design StarWars
- First They Jailed the Bankers, Now Every Icelander to Get Paid in Bank Sale
Iceland made world news by jailing their crooked bankers that had an involvement in the 2008 financial crisis, and now they will pay every Icelander for the sale of Íslandsbanki, one of its largest banks.
- 5 Ways to Drive Your Creativity When You Don’t Have the Spark
Sometimes you don’t feel creative.
Other times the ideas just flow and flow.
If your job requires you to write or create new things, you need to be able to be creative even when you don’t feel like it.
Today, I want to share several of my top tips to drive your creativity when you don’t feel productive.
- Graphic Designer Helps the Cherokee Nation Update Its Language for the Digital AgeMark Jamra created Phoreus Cherokee, the first commercially available and most complete typeface for the Cherokee language.Tags: typography amnative
- 20 Amazing Christmas Symbol FontsThinking of sprucing up your site or designs for the holiday season? Need some fons to help share in the Christmas cheer? Here is a collection of Christmas
- Signing Away Your Rights: Arbitration Clauses in Book Contracts
Recently, the New York Times published a fascinating three-part series of articles on arbitration clauses, and how such clauses “buried in tens of millions of contracts have deprived Americans of one of their most fundamental constitutional rights: their day in court.” (You can also listen to an interview with the articles’ author on NPR.)
- The Importance of Happiness at WorkA sweeping misconception among many American workers regarding happiness and success is how the two coincide with one another. It is commonly thought that happiness is a result of success. For instance, once an individual gets the raise they want or t…
- Hoefler & Co. Licenses Fonts for Your Apps, DigiPubs, & eBooks with App.typographyWith App.typography you can publish apps, digital publications, or eBooks using any of the H&Co fonts you’ve purchased for your computer. App.typography is a simple, fixed-cost, annual subscription that’s priced per title, not per font, making it easy for you to work with your entire library of fonts from H&Co.
- Tax Tools for Photographers and DesignersTags: Design photography business