Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 15 April 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Edward Snowden Explains Why You Should Use Passphrases, Not PasswordsWe’ve talked a lot about password security, and how you should be using longer, complex passphrases, rather than short passwords. In this video, Edward Snowden explains why you should use passphrases in a way all your friends and family can understand.
- Why Creatives Don’t Succeed In Traditional, 9-To-5 Work EnvironmentsCreatives need freedom and flexibility to do challenging projects.
- So You Want to Be a Freelance Graphic Designer…The role of the freelance graphic designer is quite varied. Where design work is needed, clients will hire freelancers to create a plethora of work for them, from logos to layout to packaging design and (quite honestly) so much more. Budgets, media, a…
- Making the Leap Into Freelance Copy EditingFreelance copy editors offer advice on how to break into freelancing: Stay flexible, network like crazy and realize everyone needs a good copy editor.Tags: Writing AmWriting
- 9 Material Design Frameworks for Cutting-Edge WebsitesWhen introducing its Material Design for Android, Google triggered one of the biggest current design trends. It took some time, but Android looks nice at long last. Some say it can even keep up with iOS others claim it has been more beautiful than Apple’s iteration anyway. And Material Design does more than supporting mobile apps. A growing number of websites use it, too. To realize the full potential of the design, you can either try it for yourself or use one of the many Material Design Frameworks on offer. The following post presents a range of Frameworks enabling you to create your next website using the new, stylish Material Design.
- Why Is The Dollar Sign A Letter S?
The letter S appears nowhere in the word “dollar”, yet an S with a line through it ($) is unmistakably the dollar sign. But why an S? Why isn’t the dollar sign something like a Đ (like the former South Vietnamese đồng, or the totally-not-a-joke-currency Dogecoin)?
There’s a good story behind it, but here’s a big hint: the dollar sign isn’t a dollar sign.
- Sexism & Fonts
Consider a few choice lines from the microsites that describe… the type:
“the flowing curves of a woman’s body”
“all wrapped up in the leggy body of a Brazilian supermodel”
“Like a supermodel, it can’t be squeezed into every situation.”
“packed with alternates to play with… enough to turn you on and satisfy”
“It looks good dressed down or in a little black dress.”
- Are You a Pen Tool Master? Then Try Your Hand at the Bézier Game