Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 15 March 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Content vs. Negative Space—Antwerp Designer Ines Cox Considers What’s More ImportantThe one oft-neglected area that particularly fascinates Cox? Blank paper. She used to believe that if a design itself was good, then its strength and power would shine through no matter what surface it was printed on. “I’m wiser now,” she states enthusiastically, “[but] paper adds a special, additional quality.”
- How to Become a Great UX Designer Without a DegreeUX designers are in high demand. User research firm Nielsen Norman Group ran a survey of 963 UX professionals and discovered they were highly independent and happy with their career path. Nielsen also asked these UX professionals to rate their job satisfaction on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being perfection. The result showed that UXers were prone to love their job17 more times than they were to hate it.
- 12 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do [Infographic]
Check out the graphic below to see what mentally strong people don’t do.
- “The Most Dangerous Writing App” Destroys Your Progress if You Stop TypingThe blank page is a common, intimidating hurdle for writers. Sometimes it helps to just start typing your first draft, allowing words to flow without over-thinking them. This app will help you do just that, namely because if you don’t, it will delete any and all of your progress.
- Caring About OpenType Features
- Getting Started With UI Kits Fast
- Image Compression and Web Performance in Web Design
The performance of your website is very important; a fast website have readers which sticks around, online seller which sells more and it’s a major criterion in SEO ranking. The website speed enhancement is not about a button to press and voila! It’s a bit more complex but main speed monitoring tools like Dareboost or GTMetrix agreed on the fact that the heavy resource to load are usually images.
- How To Make People Love Reading Your Blog
After a while though, the passion fizzles out. You make half-hearted apologies on your latest blog update, to no one in particular, because you start asking yourself, what is the point of writing if there is no one reading anyways. It’s a fairly common phenomenon, and if you are already at the verge of quitting, don’t. Try to make these changes instead.
- How to Dim the Blinding Glare of Your Gadgets’ LED Lights
Just because the manufacturer decided your gadget needed a blinking LED as bright as a car headlamp doesn’t mean you have to tolerate it. Let’s take a look at how you can those brilliant LEDs so your bedroom doesn’t look like a night club.
- What Slack is doing to our offices—and our mindsIt started as social software for work, but Slack now has our :heart:, time, and data.Tags: Slack
- Effective SEO Comes Down to Good, “Amplifiable” Content
Fishkin made clear that SEO is critically important to publishers’ direct-to-consumer marketing strategies. Although social media, in particular Facebook, is often at the top of publishers’ audience growth strategies, organic search is still the top traffic driver. “On average, Google drives 7X to 10X more traffic than Facebook does,” explained Fishkin. He added that for ecommerce sites, search traffic is still the top referrer.
- Mindfulness gone too far? CEO says meditating helps him fire people! [Satire]A jerk CEO explains how meditation helps him fire people more effectively in this funny video. Mindfulness in the workplace can make you a business samurai!Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- Stickers: The Highest ROI For Marketing Your Website
- Photo Manipulation Tutorial: 75 Steps To Making A Car Fly