Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 16 March 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Do Mobile Devices and Apps Really Have a Place in the Creative Workflow?
- iA Writer, the popular iOS/Mac app for focused writing, launches on Android
- All About Literary Agents
Okay, maybe not all about agents. I’m not sure I can fit twenty-two years of experience into a single article, but I’m going to do my best to boil down what you need to know about agents, what to expect and how best to maximize your experience. Sound good? Great, then let’s begin.
- Eight Examples of Novel (Physical) Book DesignFrom Sense and Sensibility to Nineteen Eighty-Four, we’ve thumbed through the pages of our Awards Archive to bring you eight awe-sinspiring examples of award-winning Book Design.
- What Joss Whedon, Writer of The Avengers, Can Teach You About WritingJoss is the screenwriter of Toy Story, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Avengers, Firefly and Serenity, The Cabin in the Woods, and so many others.Tags: Writing AmWriting
- Boudoir Photography: The Booming Business Of EmpowermentIn the last 10 years, the boudoir photography industry has surged. What’s behind the popularity? The empowerment of women.In a 2009 Washington Post article, director of publications for Professional Photographer magazine Cameron Bishopp, explained it best, saying that the increase in demand (and supply) is down to the fact that the industry “is getting to be more about empowering women.”
- The Age of the Super-SubscriberThe trick is identifying premium ‘extras’. With newsstand and ad page sales ever on the decline, magazine companies looking to monetize the influence of their brands are test driving tiered-subscription models that offer the most loyal readers increased access to the editors who create the glossies they read and the celebrities who appear in them.
- Terminally Ill Woman Receives Last Wish to Visit an Art MuseumViewing artwork can be a comforting, moving experience, and one you might not easily forget - even on your last days. This past Tuesday, a terminally ill woman was taken by ambulance to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam so that she could visit the arts and history museum one more time. She’s seen taking in a self-portrait by Rembrandt and was accompanied by two other terminal patients.
- 30 Templates & Vector Kits to Design Your Own Infographic
Infographics are always fun to read. Making them, it’s something else. True, there are tools you can use to make infographics, or you can opt to create an infographic from scratch but often times there are workarounds that can help you with the ‘graphics’, so you can focus on the ‘info’.
- Why Google Is Finally Putting Google+ Out of Its Misery | Inc.comGoogle+ was a ghost town. Now it is a ghost town without as many features.Tags: Google G
- Watch as Photoshop Experts Try Their Hand at the Original Photoshop 1.0
- The Right Way to Retinafy Your Websites
Making your website ready for Retina display doesn’t have to be a hassle. Whether you are building a new website or upgrading an existing one, this guide is designed to help you get the job done smoothly.
- 10 Tips for Better Slide DecksWant to make a great slidedeck? A TED staffer shares some big-picture things to think about, and some helpful tactical tips. Aaron Weyenberg is the master of slide decks. Our UX Lead creates Keynote presentations that are both slick and charming—the kind that pull you in and keep you captivated, but in an understated way that helps you focus on what’s actually being said. He does this for his own presentations and for lots of other folks in the office. Yes, his coworkers ask him to design their slides, because he’s just that good.
- 21 Ways to Achieve Wealth and Success
- How to Create a Realistic Neon Light Text Effect in Adobe PhotoshopLayering glow and gloss effects can help create nice, shiny objects. This tutorial will show you how to modify a brick texture for the background, and then use layer styles with the Pen Tool to add some bright, glowing neon text and a simple cable ove…
- Steep.it – the simplest internet tea timer EVERFor how long and at what temperature should you steep black tea? How about oolong tea? Green? Chai? Steep.it has the answer in a simple, single-purpose tool for tea lovers.Tags: Tealovers
- This Surprising Reading Level Analysis Will Change the Way You Write
- Project Management for the Indie Author – 10 Tips and TricksSelf Publishing takes a lot of organization. In it’s simplest form, project management is really just a check-list of tasks with due dates attached. You can add complexity by linking the tasks in the form of creating dependancies (i.e., you can have a…
- How Designers Recreated Alan Turing’s Top-Secret, Code-Cracking World In “The Imitation Game”In an exclusive interview, studio MinaLima reveal how they recreated the printed artifacts from 1940s code-breaking.
- Why Authors Walk Away From Big 5 PublishersUK author Harry Bingham describes the four stages of his career, and why he’s decided to self-publish after good experiences with traditional houses.Tags: Writing AmWriting