Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 17 December 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Take a Break: 5 Ways Freelance Creatives Make Unpaid Time Off Work“If you don’t take full advantage of the schedule flexibility that self-employment allows, you’re doing it wrong.”Vacations are a minefield for independent creatives. While the full-time, salaried workforce can take holidays and still get paid, freelancers have to tread carefully—taking time off means not making money. And it’s not just a day here and a day there. Add up national holidays and the typical 15 vacation and personal days per year, and you get about five weeks of unrealized earnings per year.
- Universal Principles of Design [Video]Design is full of unspoken rules and obscure theories that, when applied, can dramatically improve one’s own design. For the first time, we are documenting them all in one place.Universal Principles of Design, based on William Lidwell’s award-winning books, illustrates one design principle every other week, ranging from the tried and true (the 80/20 rule) to concepts that you may not have ever heard in a design context (Ockham’s razor or crowd intelligence.) These principles are critical to successful design—no matter what the discipline. Anyone who creates, designs, engineers, or illustrates will learn invaluable lessons that will take their work to the next level.
- Salespeople Should Care About Content Marketing, TooContent marketing can help generate leads, educate the audience, and expand brand awareness.Tags: CM ContentMarketing
- What Bad Reviews Reveal About the “Best” Digital MagazinesThe best digital magazines have their lovers and their haters - and they’ll all tell you exactly what to do to make them happy.Tags: DPS emag digimag
- Teens, Social Media & Technology Overview 2015 | Pew Research CenterSmartphones are fueling a shift in the communication landscape for teens. Nearly three-quarters of teens now use smartphones and 92% of teens report going
- Publishers Must Be Aware of Their Technical Debt
- The Ultimate Guide to Personal Productivity Methods
- Make Your TV’s Picture Look Better 100% in 5 MinutesWhat if we could tell you how to calibrate your TV according to the optimal settings recommended by a group of professional calibration technicians, specific to your HDTV, without spending a single penny? Yes, even without a calibration disc, let alon…
- Navigating an Enterprise UX ProjectMyplanet’s Erik von Stackelberg joined us for a webinar on the landscape of enterprise UX, its users, its nuanced design challenges, and the potential impact of great experiences at scale.Tags: UX UI Design Wearables
- WordPress Mobile Solutions for Your Website [30-Minute Video]Make your WordPress sites more mobile. This is a basic, beginner-level course for people who want to make their sites mobile ready—with a focus on WordPress mobile themes and plugins.
- Font Management Essential Training [Video]When you’re working with type, you need a plan for sourcing, organizing, validating, and managing fonts. In this course, Mike Rankin explains the different types of fonts and font licenses available on Mac and Windows and where you can acquire new fon…
- 20 WordPress Plugins to Optimize Category and TagsIf you want to do something with the Category and the Tag which is not the built-in utility, you would perhaps find it on the following list. Here are 20 plugins to improve WordPress Category and Tag.
- 11 Best Evernote Tips And TricksEvernote has gone from a simple note taking app to the workspace for your life’s work. Here are 11 of the best Evernote tips and tricks.
- Japan Is Trying To Destroy TattoosRight now, there are some people in Japan who appear to be doing their best to kill off tattoos. This guy is one of many who wants to stop that.Tags: Design Inspiration
- How to Survive and Thrive as a Corporate Content MarketerCorporate content marketers need to accept a few realities that differ from the freelance world. Here are seven to help you thrive in a new environment.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- How to Make Images Stand Out on Pinterest [INFOGRAPHIC]With more than 12 million users on Pinterest it’s important to make your images stand out. Here’s how to optimize your pins.Tags: Pinterest
- How To Use OneNote: A Beginner’s GuideMicrosoft OneNote is a powerful tool for managing & organizing your digital workflow. Find out how you can use OneNote to be more productiveTags: OneNote
- 10 Kids’ Grammar and Pronunciation Mistakes Too Cute to Correct
- Finding the Right Color Palettes for Data VisualizationsWhile there are an increasing number of good color palettes out there, not all of them are applicable to charts and data visualizations.Good color palettes are easy to come by, but finding the right color palette for data visualizations is challenging…
- Usability Testing: 5 Heat Map Tracking Tools to Watch What Your Visitors DoSupplement your analytics with some cool website design visuals from online heat map tracking toolsTags: Design WebDesign DesignforMobile
- 58 Online Copywriting Power Words & Phrases
- You Won’t Live to See the Final Star Wars Movie
- Gift Idea for Designers: A Book Featuring 365 Fascinating Stories of Typography and Its Future
- Planning and Organizing WorkshopsGood workshops start long before you get everyone in the room. Senongo Akpem shows how to prepare a successful workshop.
- The Most Gorgeous Car Manual You’ve Ever Seen
- How to Get Started with E-Learning
- 5 Essential Principles for Understanding Analytics
- 4 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Leave a Good JobAsk yourself these four questions to figure out if quitting a good job to head to a better one is the right career move for you to make right now.
- What is Sponsored Content?These six publishers are nailing sponsored content, but all in very different ways. These particular examples of sponsored content were selected because they were done in such a way that makes a clear distinction between advertising and editorial. Full transparency is achieved between publisher and consumer, which is the number one goal.
- Apple’s Best iPad Apps of 2015From design to productivity, games to communication, this is a great list.Tags: iOS iPhone Design Productivity
- Apple’s Best iPhone Apps of 2015From design to productivity, games to communication, this is a great list.Tags: iOS iPhone Design Productivity
- Dazzling airplane patent puts seats on top of aircraft – CNN.comAviation tech company Windspeed says its SkyDeck design will combat boredom on long-haul flights. At last, a new airplane seating patent that doesn’t try to squeeze more humans into a smaller space.
- New tool lets you use PHP on your Adobe Muse projectsA tool that lets you make php sites with Adobe muse.Tags: Muse AdobeMuse PHP
- On the importance of self confidence for meandering art-makersSelf confidence is vital for anyone who wants to make any kind of a dent on the creative world, whether you provide a service or sell products to customers.
- 11 Things Your Startup Should Look for in a Creative Hire for 2016While a stellar executive should have an eye for design, there is so much more that goes into the role.Tags: Design Business
- Give Back Box Ships Your Unwanted Items to Goodwill for FreeThe end of the year is a perfect time to donate stuff you don’t want, but finding the time to drop it off makes it tough. Give Back Box is a new service that provides free shipping labels you can use to mail donations to the nearest Goodwill, using whatever boxes you get from your holiday shopping.
- How to Make 3D Printed Stuff Without Owning a 3D Printer3D printing is really friggin’ cool, but promises that we’d all have one in our homes by now have turned out to be less than true. Fortunately, you don’t need one of your own to bring your imaginary creations to life.
- 33 Business Books to Read Before 30To help you figure out how to navigate the professional world and set yourself on the right trajectory, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite business books.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- Buying advice: Best Mac for graphic designGraphic designers have long loved Macs, and OS X remains the leading environment in which to be creative. We explore the best options for designers, to find the perfect Macs for themTags: OSX mac macbook
- 5 Smart Moves to Make in a Technical Interview (That Have Nothing to Do With Coding)
Technical interviews are known for their puzzles. Whether you’re asked to write a binary tree out on a whiteboard, explain a sorting algorithm, or implement FizzBuzz in 10 lines or less, you should prepare for technical programming questions in the average interview.
- 37 Effective PowerPoint Presentation Tips
Consider this your all-inclusive guide. We’ll look at preparing your presentation, how to design it in PowerPoint, practicing your delivery, and then how to nail your delivery successfully come presentation time. We’ll also address what not to do—so you can sidestep any big mistakes. Let’s dig into these tips for effective PowerPoint presentations.
- What Are The Biggest Trends In Design For 2016? Get Ahead Of The Curve
So where is design going in 2016? What are the hot trends that we need to keep an eye on? How will 2016’s design trends differ from those of last year? Check out the infographic below for a fascinating look.
- How to Create Your Own Online Video Membership Site
Online video membership sites are quickly growing in popularity. If you are thinking about making your own video membership site, you will be relieved to know that the process is rather simple. There are many options out there; however, the most simple methods of creating your site will now be presented so that your chances of making a mistake are drastically reduced.
- How to Move Your Startup Into Its First OfficeHere’s what you need to know before moving your startup into an office space.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- Why Increased Efficiency Will Make Us MiserableUnfortunately, this convenience comes at a cost: The more efficient we get, the less we interact.
- The Guide to Hiring the Best Designer for Your TeamThis guide to hiring designer will provide an outline of the hiring process that will find you the best designer for your team. First identify the designer.Tags: Design Business
- ‘Based on a true story’: the fine line between fact and fiction
From Kapuscinski to Knausgaard, from Mantel to Macfarlane, more and more writers are challenging the border between fiction and nonfiction. Here Geoff Dyer – longtime master of the space between, in books such as But Beautiful and Out of Sheer Rage – argues that there is no single path to ‘truth’ while, below, writers on both sides of the divide share their thoughts…
- Setting Boundaries: The Key to Maintaining Control of Your Life and WorkThe difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything. – Warren Buffett
- Make Your New Year Resolutions Work with 9+ Super ToolsScience says new year resolutions are a good idea because we end up dissociating from our old selves and look forward to starting anew. But a little help never hurts, right? The Internet is full of fantastic websites and resources to aid in your quest to make a better you.
- The Internet: Addicted to Distraction – NYT Opinion
“The net is designed to be an interruption system, a machine geared to dividing attention,” Nicholas Carr explains in his book “The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains.” “We willingly accept the loss of concentration and focus, the division of our attention and the fragmentation of our thoughts, in return for the wealth of compelling or at least diverting information we receive.”
- What Is Content Marketing?Here’s a handy, systematic, and exhaustive guide to content marketing that covers the essentials of building a viable online platform that converts.Tags: CM ContentMarketing
- The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit | GQFor nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest
- What Would a Real Freelancer’s Union Look Like?The time is right for a major collective effort by freelance writers to capitalize on the success of the industry and find a way to improve their working conditions.Tags: Freelance Writing AmWriting
- Why PowerPoint Isn’t the Right Choice for Interactive E-LearningPowerPoint is a great multimedia application but it’s not the best application to create interactive e-learning. Here’s why.Tags: Ed Edu K12 elearn lms
- Kindle Income: 4 Tips For Short Story CashUse short stories to increase your Kindle income. Yes, you can make money writing them; more income than you could make previously. These tips will help.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- How to Write Better Professional Objectives
Would you read a book with a dull title? When you apply for a job, the professional objective statement is like a title describing your résumé. If it’s intriguing, the hiring manager might want to see what else your résumé has to say about you. If it’s lackluster, your résumé might not hold much interest for her. You can write a professional objective that will invite hiring managers to read beyond it. But how?
- 14 of the Longest Words in English
Yes, this article is about some of the longest English words on record. No, you will not find the very longest word in English in this article. That one word would span about fifty-seven pages. It’s the chemical name for the titin protein found in humans. Its full name has 189,819 letters. Would you like to hear it pronounced? One man helpfully sounds it out in a YouTube video, but pop some popcorn before you get started! It will take you over three hours to watch—it’s just slightly shorter than the film Gone with the Wind. Dictionaries omit the name of this protein and many other long words. Obviously, dictionaries have space constraints, and the average person would have no need to know the technical names of chemicals. Still, there are plenty of lengthy words in dictionaries. Let’s take a moment to appreciate a few of them.
- Artist Tattoos Tools Of People’s Professions On Their SkinOozy, a tattoo artist in South Korea, creates beautiful, detailed tattoos depicting the tools that some of his clients use to make a living. Whether they’re chefs or craftspeople, the tools are a simple, elegant and beautiful testament to their work a…
- Flat 2.0 & How It Solves Flat Design’s Usability Problems
While flat design gives us tremendous help and a great toolkit to provide our users with fast and clutter-free websites, it can cause certain usability problems, especially when it’s overused.
- What Could Happen If You Worked As Hard As You Possibly Could?Fact: I’ve never worked as hard in my entire life as I did last year. (Because I’m a student, I now think in academic years, so I mean the period between September 2014 and the end of May.) Here’s another fact you might not know, one you might be surprised to learn: I had never…
- 60+ Fresh Resources for Designers, December 2015
Here we are again with a cool collection of more than 60 fresh resources for you to download. You’ll find stacks of icons, tons of web development tools, new responsive concepts, plugins, WordPress themes, PSD templates, incredible UI kits, and of course some awesome fonts.
- 13 Tantalizing Incentives that Will Build Your Email ListNeed a quick way to entice someone to join your email list or register for your website? Give away something for free. Beth Hayden shares 13 winning ideas.
- The Man Who Used Facebook to Find an Extinct Human SpeciesNautilus is a different kind of science magazine. We deliver big-picture science by reporting on a single monthly topic from multiple perspectives. Read a new chapter in the story every Thursday.
- 4 Unique Multi-Platform Publishing Examples by Legacy MagazinesHow these multi-platform publishing examples brought these magazines to rockstar status.Tags: DPS emag digimag
- Influential Designers Talk About Sources of Inspiration
- The Big Mistake Most Non-Profits (and Some Businesses) Make
- Broadband adoption rates and gaps in U.S. metropolitan areas
For many Americans, daily life orbits around a high-speed Internet connection. Workers and students go online to communicate and learn. Families stay in touch through live video feeds. Job seekers often need an electronic resume and an email address for applications. Smartphones put maps, social networks, and video streams in people’s pockets. The American economy has gone digital.
- Best WordPress Plugins – Over 40 Hand-Tested Plugins!
This Ain’t Your Average Best WordPress Plugins Post
This isn’t just some half-baked list of untested plugins that seem super cool and might make me a bunch of affiliate money. No, this is something much better than that. This is a list of the best WordPress plugins ever created since the dawn of time. These are WordPress plugins that solve real problems and do so in a way that won’t damage your website.
- Ten Easy Steps To Get your E-Book Ready For Editing
As an independent author, there’s no getting away from the fact you will need to get your e-book edited professionally by the sort of editor who knows the differences between e-book and print book. However, these quick ten steps will help you prepare your book for the edit and final publication early on in the process. This is a ragbag of formatting and grammar tips, but trust me, your e-book editor will love you forever if you prep your book this way!
- 7 Psychological Ways to Emotionally Connect with Your Blog Readers
How do you create an emotional connection with your blog readers? More importantly, how do you get them so inspired they want to take action, like join your list, opt-in, comment, or buy something? Here are some psychological secrets to keep in mind.
- You Can Now Buy Online Harassment InsuranceAs platforms like Facebook and Twitter struggle with safety, an insurance company is selling a policy to compensate.
- Radiate Charisma With a Technique Everyone Should KnowA behavioural trick that’s linked to higher perceptions of charisma.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- Novelists Are Working Hard To Create Apps That Are Deliberately User-UnfriendlyA decade ago, cutting-edge writers/publishers were crafting books that were physically works of art, in response to the rise of ebooks. Now, those same people are making apps. Miranda July, creator of the instant-messaging app Somebody, talks to Russe…
- 9 Little Known Facts About Mark TwainWe’ve dug up a few surprising, unusual, and definitely true facts about his life. (Twain once wrote,“Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it”—and you, dear Goodreads member, are definitely worthy of the truth).
- What Star Wars Can Teach Us About DesignWe can learn a lot from Star Wars. We can learn about using the Force, how Obi Wan is our only hope, and how to be better designers. Wait, what was that last one?Tags: Design StarWars
- First They Jailed the Bankers, Now Every Icelander to Get Paid in Bank Sale
Iceland made world news by jailing their crooked bankers that had an involvement in the 2008 financial crisis, and now they will pay every Icelander for the sale of Íslandsbanki, one of its largest banks.
- 5 Ways to Drive Your Creativity When You Don’t Have the Spark
Sometimes you don’t feel creative.
Other times the ideas just flow and flow.
If your job requires you to write or create new things, you need to be able to be creative even when you don’t feel like it.
Today, I want to share several of my top tips to drive your creativity when you don’t feel productive.
- Graphic Designer Helps the Cherokee Nation Update Its Language for the Digital AgeMark Jamra created Phoreus Cherokee, the first commercially available and most complete typeface for the Cherokee language.Tags: typography amnative
- 20 Amazing Christmas Symbol FontsThinking of sprucing up your site or designs for the holiday season? Need some fons to help share in the Christmas cheer? Here is a collection of Christmas
- Signing Away Your Rights: Arbitration Clauses in Book Contracts
Recently, the New York Times published a fascinating three-part series of articles on arbitration clauses, and how such clauses “buried in tens of millions of contracts have deprived Americans of one of their most fundamental constitutional rights: their day in court.” (You can also listen to an interview with the articles’ author on NPR.)
- The Importance of Happiness at WorkA sweeping misconception among many American workers regarding happiness and success is how the two coincide with one another. It is commonly thought that happiness is a result of success. For instance, once an individual gets the raise they want or t…
- Hoefler & Co. Licenses Fonts for Your Apps, DigiPubs, & eBooks with App.typographyWith App.typography you can publish apps, digital publications, or eBooks using any of the H&Co fonts you’ve purchased for your computer. App.typography is a simple, fixed-cost, annual subscription that’s priced per title, not per font, making it easy for you to work with your entire library of fonts from H&Co.
- You May Be Invested In Guns And Not Know ItDo you have a 401k? Yes? Congrats! Investing in a 401k is a commonly used way to save for whatever the future brings when you’re old—it’s a retirement investment plan that you’re able to sign up for through your employer. That said, according to today’s New York Times, your 401k provider might also have you investing in one of the three largest gun manufacturers in the country.
- Tax Tools for Photographers and DesignersTags: Design photography business
- Make It Harder for People to Find You on FacebookWith close to one-and-a-half billion people currently on Facebook, keeping a low profile can be tricky. It’s in the site’s best interest to make it easy for you to make connections with family, friends, and acquaintances. However, if you want to make it more difficult for people to track you down, there are ways to do it.
- Will Publishers Pay The Price Of This Latest Tech War?
There is a war going on between Google and Apple. It’s a war for advertising dollars. The changes coming are certain to hurt any small to mid-size publishing company.
- Year-End Blues? 5 Steps To Crush Goals And Close Strong
- How To Use An Exclamation Point Properly (& How Not To Use It)Do you use an exclamation point? Do you use five or more? Is there really any limit to the number of exclamation points you can and should use?Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- Do You Trust Wikipedia? [Poll]We’re keen to find out how people view the trustworthiness of Wikipedia, and we need your help in doing so. Welcome to this week’s MakeUseOf Poll!
- How Parental Absence Alters Children’s Brain DevelopmentChildren living without their parents for a period may suffer delayed brain development, a new study finds.
- 10 Most Popular Font Managers for Mac & Windows
How big is your font collection? If you’ve been busy downloading all the free fonts you can find, or if you’ve invested in some premium typefaces chances are you’ve got hundreds (or thousands!) of font files that are bogging down your system. Font managers are important tools that allow you to activate and deactivate your fonts on the fly, organise your collection into groups, and easily test out multiple typefaces at once to find the perfect choice for your designs. I browsed through graphic design forums and messageboards to find out which font managers were recommended by real professionals. This roundup features the most popular programs for both Windows and Mac, including free and premium apps for you to consider.
- How a Product Funnel Makes Blogging Profitable
a great product funnel provides your readers with an opportunity to get to know you, like you and trust you. You make compelling offers to your readers that they can receive from free to fee:
- 3D Printed Classic Paintings
- InDesign Tutorial: How to Design a Magazine Cover With Pantone Colours and Spot VarnishesJohann Chan takes you through his creative process and shows how to design a magazine cover, add Pantone colours and spot UV varnishes.Tags: InDesign
- 3 Resources to Help You Become a Master Content Marketing Storyteller
- How to Create Highly Engaging Content for Your Audience
- Beware Social Media Snake OilRead on for solid advice on how to separate the worthwhile from the worthless, and warnings about some common social media scams.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- 7 Drag And Drop Plugins For Building WordPress SitesBuilding a WordPress site, the drag-and-drop method would help save a lot of time. In this post, we have put together 7 plugins that add this functionality into the WordPress editor. If you know of more cool plugins let us know in the comments.
- WordPress 4.4: 10 Coolest New Features You Should KnowIn this post we will be looking at 10 new WordPress 4.4 features you should be checking out.Tags: WordPress
- How to Cold Pitch Work and Get the Creative Photography Jobs You Want
As photographers, we often think of jobs or ideas that we’d love to do. Pitching for these is difficult as the company involved might not be looking for what you offer. In this article I’ll talk you through the best ways to get that conversation started.
- Amazon Is Testing Original Content Written By ExpertsWill product roundups and service articles resonate with loyal customers? Amazon sure hopes so.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- Following the Hunch: How to Make Freelancing Into a Durable Business
- 12 Most Profitable Places to Sell Your Photos OnlineIf you have photos that you want to sell, there are a number of websites that can help you. Here are 12 of the best.Tags: Photography
- What does the future of work look like?
Singh believes that desktop apps are on their way out. “Sure, some people work on their desktops, but they’re increasingly getting more done on mobile devices. In the future, you’ll be spending even more time on them, away from your desk.”
- 30+ Free Flat UI (User Interface) Kits For DesignersThese free flat user interface kits are perfect for web & mobile UI designers, developers and design agencies.Tags: UX UI Design
- The Rise of the Emoji in BrandingBefore we all begin decrying the fall of civilization, let’s stop to review emojis for a moment. We know that an image can be incredibly effective in capturing the feelings and thoughts of someone, and breaking across the limits of language. Think back to the most compelling photographs of the last century—the haunted, compelling eyes of a young Indian girl staring from the cover of National Geographic or the enthusiastic joy of a sailor celebrating the end of WWII with a kiss. Pictures have a power to immediately draw and communicate a host of sensation and feelings.
- How to Clone Your Best EmployeeWish all your employees were like your best employee? Here are tips for creating more rockstars in your business.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- For This Interior Designer, Relationships Come FirstBy cultivating a network of artisans, Jeannine Williams has built a thriving interior design firm-and enjoyed every minute of it.Tags: Design Business Freelance
- easybook – Create eBooks from Markdown700 page ebook published in 4 seconds (that’s 6 times faster than most of our competition)
- 5 Secrets to Awesome User DesignWhile there is much to learn about user experience best practices, there are secrets that can guide you to quicker, better decisions. Outlined below are five secrets to creating user experiences focusing specifically on user end goals.Tags: UX UI Desi…
- Music Law: Managing a Band’s Business [1-Hour Video Course]Learn to avoid the major music business and legal pitfalls that can break bands apart, such as financial mismanagement and contract disputes.
- How to Make a Big Impression With a Tiny TeamThanks to technology, freelancers just like you and me can collaborate on projects without hopping on a plane. But there are some things you need to do to make sure that you can wow your client with a tiny team.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance
- Pushbullet’s New Paywall Is a Perfect Example of How NOT to Monetize an AppIn the ongoing struggle between users wanting free services and developers trying to eat, Pushbullet has emerged as the heel.Tags: Entrepreneur PushBullet StartUp
- Why The Promise Of Unlimited Cloud Storage Keeps Getting BrokenA worry-free online file repository makes sense on paper, but reality often gets in the way.
- Eight Uncommon Typography and Punctuation Marks
- Photoshop for Designers: Working with ShapesShapes are key to the most iconic graphic designs in history. They’re also the secret weapons of busy designers, enabling them to whip up cool, crisp graphics quickly. Watch this course to learn the ins and outs of creating professional designs and ar…
- Pantone Collaborates with Street Artists for Color of the YearSelecting two colors as their PANTONE Color of the Year for the first time, the trend company took to Instagram to show off their collaboration with artists Man One, Victor Quinonez, and Werc AlvarezTags: PANTONE
- Copywriting Principles That Will Make New Users Love YouAppcues’ Jackson Noël talks about how good copywriting should build enthusiasm, relieve common user anxieties, tell users why, and reflect your mission.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- An In-Depth Look At The Beautiful Color Palettes Of The 20th CenturyAuthor Katie Greenwood took the time to study the various color palettes popular throughout the 20th century, focusing on colors that appeared commonly in fashion and design. Her book titled 100 Years of Colors features 100 carefully chosen images which represent a color palette from every year of the 20th century.
- Pocket Now Lets You Follow People and Read What They’re RecommendingPocket’s recommended feed just got a little more personal. You can now follow friends and interesting public figures to see what they’re recommending in the read-it-later service, and share your own recommendations as well.
- Traditional Homepages Are Obsolete, Says Quartz. Here’s What They Built Instead.Quartz doesn’t think online publications should have homepages. Instead, they should have faces that show off their personality.Tags: Branding Marketing
- Syte – Set Up a Simple Personal Site with Built-in Social IntegrationsSyte is a really simple but powerful packaged personal site that has social integrations like Twitter, GitHub, Dribbble, Instagram, Foursquare, Tumblr, WordPress, Last.fm, SoundCloud, Bitbucket, StackOverflow, Flickr and Steam.
- There’s a hidden portrait under the Mona Lisa, says French scientistA French scientist says he’s found a hidden portrait underneath that enigmatic smile using reflective light technology. The version in the Louvre might not be of silk merchant’s wife Lisa Gherardini, as is widely believed, and could be of a different …
- Swearing Politely With TextExpanderA set of TextExpander macros to “cartoon censor” less friendly words online. Thus “mothertruckers” becomes “&%^*#$!¡@ø@ers” and “ducking” becomes “ø&¡$ing.”
- Net Neutrality Is Back In Court AgainA federal appeals court is issuing a ruling today that could undo regulations protecting the principle.Tags: NetNeutrality
- 10 of the best advent calendars for 2015From tea-themed treats to festive candles, these calendars will make the wait for Christmas fly by.Tags: Design Inspiration
- Photoshopped or Not? Three Ways To Tell If An Image Is Real Or FakeWe live in a world where everyone has a camera touting smartphone. Kids are learning to photograph from a very early age and as they get older, they also lTags: Photoshop Photography
- Automatcially Optimize PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Pro X & XI with Keyboard Maestro
- Christmas lights may be ruining your Wi-Fi speeds
Noticed a sudden drop in your WiFi speeds as the holiday season approaches? According to a new report from a telecom watchdog your ISP isn’t at fault. Blame your Christmas lights.
- Authors ask Supreme Court to overturn e-book ruling against Apple
- Draw a Variety of Script Lettering in IllustratorIn this tutorial I will showcase three different approaches, which result in three different script lettering styles. We will start with a nice simple basic script, touch on a more athletic inspired lettering style and work our way to a classic, fancy…
- The 7 Best Free Alternatives to PushbulletMad that Pushbullet is suddenly expensive? Don’t worry, there are plenty of free alternatives.Tags: Android PushBullet
- Put a low-poly spin on art portraitsElroy uses some faux 3D modelling and Photoshop texturing to recreate striking vintage visuals.Tags: Vector Illustrator Photoshop
- How to Build Letter Art From Bricks In IllustratorIn this tutorial we’ll use 3D-rendering, Blends, and an Art Brush for creating the final brick art. The skills you will learn here can easily be transferred to creating various brick letters. Enhance your vector skills as a digital brick artist in tod…
- We Don’t Do Meetings Like We Used To [Infographic]Meetings are part of working life for most people. Love them or hate them, they’ll always be there. However, the ways in which we meet has changed over tim
- 26 Digital Typography Tips For Beginners To Help You Get Started
- Pantone Color of the Year 2016 – Rose Quartz and SerenityIntroducing Rose Quartz & Serenity Pantone Color of the Year 2016, a warmer embracing rose tone and the cooler tranquil blue. See the colors and palettes.Tags: Pantone Design
- If You’ve Named Your Baby After An Instagram Filter, You’re Not AloneA site that says that they know lots about babies called BabyCenter.com (great name for a baby site) shared their top ten names of 2015 for both male and..
- Adobe Rebrands Flash Pro, Merges with Edge Animate into Adobe Animate CC
- Another Popular App Leaves The Mac App Store
Apple has a Mac App Store problem. Popular vector-based design app Sketch is leaving the App Store in order to move back to a direct-selling model. The developer announced the move on its official blog this morning. This isn’t the first time developers are complaining about the state of the App Store on the Mac.
- 13 New Board Games to Gift Any Type of Geek in Your LifeLooking for the perfect board game as a holiday present? We have 13 new releases that will delight many types of people.
- Star Wars Vector Art Exhibit of Orlando Arocena
In advance of a major Star Wars–themed art exhibit, at the Hero Festival in Marseille, France (November 7 and 8, with a second showing December 3 through 15), Orlando shared some of his popular Star Wars tribute images with us, as well as giving us a first look at some new Star Wars work.
- 10 Ways to Improve Typography In Your DesignsTypography is more than just picking a font and a point size from some drop-down menus on your computer.Tags: Typography fonts design
- 20 Gifts for Graphic Designers
It’s that time again! Food and family and finding the perfect presents. Whether you’re trying to win the heart of a graphic designer in your life, or just browsing the web for gifts to give yourself, we’ve got you covered. *Drumroll* It’s HOW’s list of Gifts for Graphic Designers: 2015 edition. We’ve collected just a few of our favorite design-related gifts for this year so you can avoid long lines at the ever-dreaded shopping mall.
- Europe Is Cracking Down On Bitcoin To Impede Terrorist FinancingOn Friday, European leaders will ask the European Commission to further regulate the use of anonymous, virtual currencies like bitcoin.Tags: ISIS Paris WarOnTerror
- Confessions of an ISIS Spy
- Black Friday Is Dying, and That’s a Good ThingDon’t get me wrong, there are some great deals to be had this time of year. But lining up in the cold to nab a cheap 55” TV? No longer necessary. Black Friday isn’t what it used to be, and that’s a good thing.
- Are USB Flash Drives Still Worth It In 2015?USB flash drives are great for storage, but they have so many other uses. Here’s how they’re worth their weight in gold.
- Artists Around the World Create Moving Tributes to Paris in the Wake of AttacksArtists worldwide also shared creative works as a means of sending their condolences and spreading words of encouragement.
- Why Some Freelancers Struggle to Get ClientsWhile some freelancers enjoy a steady stream of paying clients, many more watch weeks slip by, with crickets chirping in their inbox.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance
- The 10 Best iPad Pro Apps for DesignersChristopher Phin selects the best apps if you require your iPad Air or iPad Pro to be a true designer’s tool.Tags: iPadPro ApplePencil Design
- Some Mac App Store Apps ‘Damaged’ Due to Expired Security Certificates
- Persian Gulf temperatures may be at the edge of human tolerance in 30 yearsProblems could arise much sooner than predicted.
- Twitter Favorites Had To Die So That Twitter Could Live–Not That It Matters to YouToday, Twitter turned all your faves into likes, swapping out a star for a heart. This represents a huge and important paradigm shift in the world of technology and culture at large. Haha, okay. You got me! None of this shit matters. None of it! Or no…
- When you’ll stop at nothing for the best audio experience. | Sennheiser’s $55,000 headphonesTHE QUEST FOR PERFECT SOUND IS NOT ABOUT HIGHEST, LOWEST, THICKEST OR THINNEST, BUT ABOUT ONE SUPERLATIVE AND ONE SUPERLATIVE ONLY: BEST.
- Adobe to Acquire comScore’s Digital Analytix TechnologycomScore announced its intention to transfer the technology assets and customer accounts of its Digital Analytix business to Adobe.Tags: BigData Adobe comScore
- Your Money or Your Life? The High Cost of Prescription Drugs – NBC NewsIt costs more than $14,000 a year, but one watchdog group says the price tag should be far lower. We asked the CEO why it isn’t.
- Dropbox Is MySpace, Box Is Facebook | The company with the best platform will win.
It’s no secret that Dropbox is floundering when it comes to its product direction—particularly with respect to developers. At the TechCrunch Disrupt conference earlier this month, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston barely talked about the company’s platform.
- Fontstand Changes the Game
- Playboy ‘No Nudes’ Is What Happens When Platforms RulePlayboy, once the premier adult magazine, plans to cover up its models and go PG13. As first reported by The New York Times, the magazine will move away from full nudity under a redesign planned for its March issue. “This means the models, celebrities and, yes, Playmates will not be naked for the first time since our founder Hugh Hefner laid out the first issue in 1953,” the company says.The move is a stark example of how content is dictated by the platforms that drive readers to stories.
- Simple questions for writers1. What is it for? If this piece of writing works, what will change? What action will be taken? The more specific you are in your intent, the more frightening it is to do the writing (because you might fail).…Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- What Writers Should Do Right After PublicationAfter you publish any short piece, consider taking steps in two main categories (other than just Facebook or Twitter) to help your work reach an audience.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- 10 WordPress Plugins For Better Backend AdministrationOne of the best parts about WordPress is how easy it is to customize with plugins. To illustrate its flexibility, here are a few examples of what you can do on your WordPress site with plugins:
- How eBook Pricing Affects eBooks Sales on Amazon