Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 17 March 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Do You Suffer From Infobesity (And What The Heck is it)? [Infographic]It wasn’t that long ago that we had to wait until the evening news to find out what was happening in the world.Check out the infographic below for a fascinating look at infobesity and find out if you suffer from it.
- 5 Ways to Make Sure Your Email Writing Is Clear
Imagine an international team of people with varying levels of English language proficiency, using emails to work together on a project. Members of the team might have a hard time communicating with each other as it is, and if they don’t do their best to keep their email writing clear, mistakes are bound to happen because of a lack of understanding. But it’s not that hard to improve the clarity of writing in emails. All it takes are a few simple steps.
- Make Use of Grids for Typographical LayoutsA well-planned grid is key to creating a good typographical layout, as having a strong foundation to work with is a great way to keep a text-heavy document looking clean, consistent and easy to navigate.Tags: InDesign Layout editorial
- How To Build A Global Author Entrepreneur BusinessBrian Clark interviewed me for Unemployable, the show for people who can get a job, they’re just not inclined to take one. We talk about how to grow a businessTags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- Inside Instacart’s Fraught and Misguided Quest to Become the Uber of GroceriesThe changes Instacart outlined were grim. Fees for customers were increasing. One-hour delivery in New York City had been suspended. In stores, standards were getting much stricter. A lengthy list of policies detailed everything from how Instacart shoppers should dress to when they could listen to music (only on break, only with headphones). Shoppers who breached two rules would be placed on four weeks’ probation. Violate any more, and…
- 10 Best Grammar Resources for Teachers
Every day is a grammar day for teachers, but the whole world is invited to celebrate morphology and syntax on the fourth of March—National Grammar Day. Everyone loves a party, but how can you motivate students to embrace good grammar the other 364 days of the year? These ten grammar resources might be just what you need.
- InDesign CC: Publish Online Video Training by Pariah BurkeUse InDesign Publish Online for publication distribution or to send proofs, sketches, and iterations of documents to clients for review and approval.Tags: InDesign Layout epub selfpub
- The 10 Slides You Need to Pitch Your Business Idea
- Adding Custom Fonts to WordPress with @Font-Face and CSS3
Luckily, adding your own choice of fonts is relatively easy using the CSS3
@font-facerule. All that’s required is uploading a font to your server, then adding it to your theme with a few small snippets of CSS.
- 15 Insights Into the State of Women in BusinessTimes have changed for women in business. Find out what several successful women business owners have to say about gender parity and today’s business climate.Tags: business glassceiling
- Better Bookmarking With RainDrop.ioEven with all the advanced technology available, there is still one thing that hasn’t changed about the way we explore the Internet and that is bookmarks.
- Ragtime Typesetting Game for Designers
- How To Design Empty State Pages For Websites & Mobile Apps
- 10 hottest design tools you absolutely must try
- 10 Best Grammar Resources for Students
Something great happened on March 4, 2008. Martha Brockenbrough, through The Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar, established National Grammar Day in the United States. It’s a day to celebrate all that grammar does. Would you like to wish your friends a Happy Grammar Day? Make sure you don’t have any errors in your messages! How can you make sure your grammar is in tip-top shape? Check out this list of grammar goodies:
- 30 Days of Sucking: A Challenge for Creative Rebels(A challenge for creatives who have fallen in the trap of perfectionism.)Tags: Design Inspiration
- Running a Design Business: Self PromotionLearn how to promote your design business. Discover the various ways to use self-promotion, both analog and digital, to stand out in today’s competitive marketplace.Tags: Design Business
- Write!, the Elegant Distraction-Free Writing App, Comes to the MacOS X: Write!, a good-looking writing tool (previously Windows-only), now has a Mac version that brings all of its best features over, including auto-saving, cloud-synced documents, offline editing, day and night editing themes, unlimited undo, and mor…
- WPForms: A fast new solution for WordPress FormsWPForms changes all that – by starting you off with form templates. It’s a move that I hope will inspire other form vendors in the WordPress ecosystem because it makes good sense.
- Five Places To Find Writing Inspiration
- How to Make Your Project a Success with Excel TemplatesExcel templates are an essential tool in the portfolio of an effective project manager. Even in the smallest project, templates can make your life easier and save significant time. We have compiled a selection.
- Pantone Adds 112 Colors Just for Graphic Designers
You could make the argument that there can never be enough colors, no matter how many Pantone puts out there. And yet, now, with the introduction of thePantone Plus series, Pantone is adding 112 colors to their system, and they say that they’re made specifically for graphic designers. Hey wait — are you a graphic designer? Well then maybe you’re who they’re talking about. Small world!