Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 18 December 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Ad Blocking Isn’t The End Of The World
There’s opportunity—if you ditch old-fashioned advertising approaches.
- Why Mailbox Died – “the market for productivity apps has proven to be a mirage”On Monday, Dropbox simplified its own life by ending Mailbox’s. (Carousel, Dropbox’s aimless photo-storage solution, also got the axe.) The moves were a long time coming. Despite Houston’s public pronouncements to the contrary, the apps were clearly abandoned earlier this year. It’s easy to criticize Dropbox for its stewardship of Mailbox; its pace of development slowed to a crawl soon after the acquisition, a Mac desktop app never made it out of beta, and by this spring it was virtually abandonware.
- Why rejection hurts so much — and what to do about itPsychologist Guy Winch shares some practical tips for soothing the sting of rejection.
- 35 Best vCard WordPress Themes 2015 For Your Online ResumeBelow you will find the best of the best vCard WordPress themes designed for easy setup and administration. Most of these themes have unlimited color variations or at least several color schemes for you to choose. I guess you will have a hard time to …
- Over-Delivery Is the Only Way to Do Business as a Stand Out CreativeThe problem with doing what people expect you will do might be safe, but it will not help you stand out in the crowd.Tags: Design Business
- Fontli – A Social Network for Typophiles and Typography EnthusiastsFontli lets designers and type-enthusiasts discover new fonts and great Typography. Using Fontli, you can capture interesting Typography from everyday life and share it with a vibrant community of type lovers. Font integration is made with the MyFonts…
- 28 Most Spectacular Libraries Around the World
- Best Places to Find WordPress Plugins
It’s easy enough to list “top WordPress plugins for X task”, but it’s not so much common knowledge where you can go to find a huge resource of WordPress plugins for a variety of tasks. This can be frustrating, especially to newbies who don’t know of the most popular WordPress plugin websites. So where are the top places you can turn to when you need plugins to extend the functionality of your website? There are quite a few good ones, but here are some of the better options available.
- So What’s the Big Deal with Horizontal & Vertical Bezier Handles Anyway?
Have you ever seen Illustrator progress shots from your favourite designers and wondered how and why their bezier handles are so obsessively arranged? We’re hoping to shed a little light on this seemingly unnecessary process. Note: this tutorial assumes a solid grasp of Illustrator & the pen tool.
- Nathan Shedroff on Design Strategy and the Merging of Business and Design FOR Businesses and DesignersKristin Ellison talks to Nathan Shedroff about the ways he’s helping designers merge the qualitative and quantitative to better understand customers and pitch ideas to company leaders.Tags: Design Business
- Bret Easton Ellis on Living in the Cult of Likability – The New York Times
The point of the episode is that today everyone thinks that they’re a professional critic (“Everyone relies on my Yelp reviews!”), even if they have no idea what they’re talking about. But it’s also a bleak commentary on what has become known as the “reputation economy.” In depicting the restaurants’ getting their revenge on the Yelpers, the episode touches on the fact that services today are also rating us, which raises a question: How will we deal with the way we present ourselves online and in social media, and how do individuals brand themselves in what is a widening corporate culture?
- Learn to Love Flying Again with These Secret Travel TipsUse technology to completely change your flying experience. Here are some not-so-secret flying and travel tips to make your in-flight experience more bearable.Tags: Travel roadwarrior
- Hunter S. Thompson’s Best Life TipsHunter S. Thompson isn’t exactly known as a saint, nor do people tend to look to the drug-loving, slightly crazed journalist for life advice. However, through his fringe lifestyle and off-the-beaten-path outlook he’s provided plenty of advice on living that apply to all of us.
- The Best Cities for Women in Tech
- 6 Ways to Make SciFi and Fantasy Weapons More Believable
Ever read a fantasy book or watched a science fiction movie and struggled to suspend your disbelief due to the total lack of reality in some make believe weapons? Here’s advice for people writing this stuff on how to get guns and lasers and bow and wands right.
- Powerful Editorial Illustrations About War by Gunduz Aghayev
Gunduz Aghayev is an artist from Azerbaijan who has a dark, very dark sense of humor and satire that he uses in his editorial style paintings. On the topics of war, ecology, and politics in general, the artist takes inspiration from iconic images, brands, and world leaders, to create powerful imagery that will make you think twice.
- 6 Steps to Creating Business SystemsWondering how to do more with less time? Creating business systems can help you take guess work out of your day and give you more energy.Tags: entrepreneur leadership
- How to Avoid Turning Into a Jerk When You’re Surrounded by JerksWorking in retail, I still remember one of my worst customers. He handed me a quarter and what looked like a single one dollar bill. I said, “Sorry, the total is two twenty-five.” He pulled apart two crisp bills, which I didn’t notice were stuck together, and slowly counted, “One…two. Do you speak English? Do you know math?” I was fuming, but I said nothing. I was, however, short with everyone else that day, until a friend asked, “what’s your problem?” The problem was: I let that jerk turn me into an jerk, too.
- Is Your Content Writing Appealing to Thinkers AND Feelers?