Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 19 March 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- The Lost Art of the Index in eBooks
I’m not lobbying for back-of-book indexes in ebooks like they appear in print books. That’s another aspect that needs to change when you go digital. I want to see index functionality right there on the page I’m reading. The trick here is to offer it in a manner that’s not disruptive for the reader.
- Top Start-Up Investors Are Betting on Growth, Not Waiting for ItFor the last few years, the spotlight in start-up investing has largely shone on those who poured money into a company when it was already well along on a growth path. It turns out that spotlight may have been misdirected.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership…
- How To Convert Adobe Illustrator Colors to Pantone Swatches [YouTube]This tutorial shows you how to quickly find matching pantone colors for existing art in Adobe Illustrator.Tags: Vector Illustrator amdrawing
- How Publishers Can Fight the Four Horsemen – Amazon, Apple, Google & Facebook
Kanter explained that antitrust efforts should focus on areas where the Four Horsemen sacrifice the well-being of their platform to protect their power. “Antitrust laws don’t penalize big,” he said. “They penalize exclusionary conduct.” He gave the example of Google promoting its own products in search listings over those of its competitors. Currently an antitrust case in Europe is investigating this practice. Kanter encouraged that similar action be taken in the U.S.
- Everything You Know About Artificial Intelligence is Wrong
It’s hard to know what to believe. But thanks to the pioneering work of computational scientists, neuroscientists, and AI theorists, a clearer picture is starting to emerge. Here are the most common misconceptions and myths about AI.
- The Genius Designer Versus a Mindset of ExperimentationThe biggest problem in the design community is our mindset.Tags: Design GraphicDesign
- Right Click Logo to Show Logo Download OptionsRather than showing me a context menu, it triggered a modal:Tags: Branding Design
- Winning Strategies for Journal Publishers
But the winners! What about them? Aside from the small publishers that cleverly and effectively occupy a niche (very common in humanities publishing–and, to spare anyone from the need to make this comment, even for monographs!), the winners in journal publishing fall into three broad strategic categories.
- The Superior Social Skills of Bilinguals
Two new studies demonstrate that multilingual exposure improves not only children’s cognitive skills but also their social abilities.
- Stanford Scientist: Simple Way to Stick With Good Habits Even When You’re Feeling LazyHow to ride what he calls the “motivation wave,” or the fluctuations in our motivation levels.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs
- Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, Competitors to Photoshop and InDesign, Are Coming to Windows
- The Graphic Novel Pregame: What You Can Do to Get Noticed by a Comics Publisher
Gina Gagliano, Associate Marketing & Publicity Manager for Macmillan’s graphic novel imprint, First Second Books, outlines some of the unique avenues available to graphic novelists, and explains how traveling them helps attract the attention of publishers.
- Why do we work so hard?
- When It’s Good to Be BadThe relentless pursuit of success is valorised in our culture, but taking the long way around is often the bestTags: Entrepreneur Leadership Brassballs