Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 2 July 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Type Designer David Jonathan Ross Loves ContrastDavid Jonathan Ross designs typefaces at digital type studio The Font Bureau Inc, drawing letters of all shapes and sizes for custom and retail. From reversed stress slab serifs of the 19th century to Art Deco sans serifs of the 20th, he ransac…
- How to Find Your Muse – and Fire Her
The how-to, quick-fix-inundated world we live in renders us vulnerable to excessive deference. We search for our Muse using the advice we read, and once we’ve found her, we come to rely upon her for all inspiration or ideas.
Balderdash, I say. I’m not diminishing the many heartfelt and poignant sources of inspiration to which writers return again and again. Quite the contrary, this supports my point all the more:
- Illustrator Designs A Digital And A Hand-Written Typeface Every Day For A Year
US illustrator Matt Chinworth has started on a 365 day journal, entitled ‘TypeSWAMP’, where he experiments with digital and hand-written type.
He puts himself to the challenge of creating a new design every day, for an entire year.
- 10 Surreal Photo Manipulation TutorialsBeing great at the art of photo manipulation requires massive amounts of creativity, patience, planning and skills.
- How To Sync Google Calendar With Every Other Platform
Google Calendar is arguably the easiest, most intuitive and most versatile way to organize your day. The only problem users commonly encounter is syncing it with their devices. While this is dead simple when using Android, and easy enough to view in a browser on a PC, syncing with other platforms is not always so obvious. Here’s how to do it.
- The Six Filters for Truth – Seeing Through Bias and B.S.
“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” — Galileo Galilei
- Creating A New Twitter Account Shows Why Twitter’s Struggling
It feels like a missed opportunity to showcase other users that are active and having conversations with their followers, rather than famous people. The value in Twitter is not observing and it’s clear that this feature misses the point.
- Creative Commons Licensing is Irrevocable, So Which License is Right for me?The important thing to note about CC licenses is that they are irrevocable. Thus, if you release your images under a particular CC license, others will always have the right to use them under that license even if you later decide to stop distri…
- How to Easily Colorize a Black-and-White Photograph in PhotoshopColoring a photo isn’t nearly as hard as you might think. In fact, it can be achieved in three simple steps using Photoshop. Read on for a basic method of colorizing a black-and-white picture, followed by some tips for building on this techniqu…
- Make Grids in Photoshop with GuideGuide PluginGuides are a pain. GuideGuide makes dealing with guides in Photoshop painless.