Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 2 November 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Every Password Has Been Stolen. Now What?
- 20 Useful SVG Tools for Better GraphicsSVG is gaining popularity in web design these days and you can use tools like Illustrator or Inkscape to create SVG graphics. But when it comes to web design,Tags: SVG Vector
- Talk With Your Colleagues Anonymously, With BlindIts big idea: bringing anonymity to the workplace so you can “share the real you” with other employees. If you happen to figure out what’s really happening in the upper echelons of the company, so much the better.
- Kadenze Offers Free Online Classes on Art Studies and Creative TechnologyWhile sparse at the moment, can scratch that itch without costing you a dime. Some courses, like The Modern Genius: Art and Culture in the 19th Century, are even available to be taken for credit.
- 30 Free UI Kits Featuring Detailed Web ElementsWhen working under time constraints or on a tight budget crafting every single UI element by hand in Photoshop just isn’t economical. Thankfully there’s a range of ready-made web elements available in UI kits that can be quickly copied over to your own website or web app design projects. This post rounds up a collection of 30 detailed user interface Photoshop kits that can all be downloaded absolutely free!
- 24 Stunningly Gorgeous Material Design Examples
- I’m quite happy with Dropbox, but he has an interesting opinion. | I Dropped Dropbox and You Should, TooAs Dropbox has stayed mostly the same, Microsoft, Apple and Google now offer better pricing with more features. Why do you still use Dropbox?Tags: Dropbox
- Disney Artists Go Hands-On With iPad Pro and Apple Pencil
- Michael Bierut’s How To is a lesson in graphic design on how to avoid the obvious.Graphic designers have a love/hate relationship with cliché́s (“love/hate relationship” being itself a cliché́). In design school, we’re taught that the goal of design is to create something new. But not entirely new. A jar of spaghetti sauce should stand out from its competitors. But if it looks too different, say, like a can of motor oil, it will disorient shoppers and scare them away. Every graphic design solution, then, must navigate between comfort and cliché́. Pentagram founder Alan Fletcher admired this “ability to stroke a cliché́ until it purrs like a metaphor.”
- Exploring Photoshop: Mastering Curves [Video]Master curves! Find out how to use the Curves panel in Photoshop to adjust tonality, make color corrections, produce creative effects, and more.Tags: Photoshop Photography
- How to Combat Clickbait With Headlines That Make Sense
Suspicion of clickbait means you may not get clicks even if your post is legit. It’s like The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Your post may actually contain a wolf – but if no one ever clicks to find out, it doesn’t matter, does it? You’re ignored on principle.
- 25 Must-Have Free Infographic SetsHere are 25 must-have free infographic sets you can download and add to your freebies collection. They will surely come in handy!Tags: Infographics Design Free Freebies
- 10 Things you Might not Know About Wunderlist
Sometimes though, it’s easy to forget that not everyone knows all the little tricks that make using Wunderlist even easier than it already is. We surveyed the office and came up with 10 of our favorite lesser-known Wunderlist features to share with you. Let’s get started!
- 6 of the Best Online Schools for Graphic DesignLong distance learning over the Internet can be just as beneficial as physical enrollment. But which schools are good? Here are some of the best online schools for graphic design in the US.