Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 21 January 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- What Freelancers Should Know Before Filing Their Taxes This YearPreparing your taxes as a freelancer can be complicated, and there is a chance you are leaving thousands of dollars on the table.Tags: Entrepreneur freelance
- Advice for Graduate Designers
- How to Recommend eBooks for Libraries to Add to Their CatalogSome public libraries allow customers to recommend specific ebook titles for the library to purchase and add to their online catalog for lending.Tags: eprdctn
- 8 Free Tools to Work & Collaborate Online from Your HomeWorking from home can be a convenient setup, thanks to its flexibility. But online collaboration with clients and teams can quickly become complicated and stressful. We show you free tools to build a reliable workflow.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance Star…
- The Most and Least Friendly U.S. States for Small BusinessesThumbtack, in partnership with the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, has released the results from the third annual Thumbtack.com Small Business Friendliness Survey. The study, drawing upon data from over 12,000 small business owners, provides …
- 7 Ways to Use Video to Boost Your Social Media MarketingDo you use videos in your social media marketing? This article shares seven ways to use video to boost your social media efforts.Tags: Marketing SMM
- 13 Lists That Will Make Your Life So Much Better
The title of this article already gave it away , and besides , you’re not here to read what i have to say , so first bookmark this page so you don’t forget after your mind is blown , and enjoy
- 10 WordPress Admin Themes to Rebrand the Backend
An admin theme can give a unique look and feel to a site, which is not only important aesthetically but also from the aspect of user-friendliness, as an admin theme can add a more intuitive user interface to the dashboard.
- TypeTalk: Eight Timeless Typefaces
Fonts that are in vogue come and go, with popular typestyles constantly being replaced by newer, trendier designs. But even with the hundreds of new typefaces being released each year, there are some that don’t seem to age, and continue to look fresh while serving their typographic purpose.
Here are eight typefaces that, in spite of having been around for dozens—and in some cases hundreds—of years, don’t appear to have an expiration date any time soon.
- Interesting Magazine Layouts2A/B Media Production & AnalysisTags: Design Inspiration InDesign
- Trade Secrets – A Viable Alternative to Patents
While trade secrets cannot fully replace patent protection in all respects, they do offer a viable alternative to patents for protecting intellectual property in some cases. In addition, while the value of patents in protecting IP has been under attack this year, trade secret protection has been on the rise with, for example, the California appellate court decision in Altavion, Inc. v. Konica Minolta Systems Laboratory, 226 Cal.App.4th 26. 171 Cal.Rptr.3d 714 (1st Dist. 2014) that broadened the definition of what information can qualify as a trade secret. Moreover, there is a real possibility that Congress will finally pass a civil trade secrets protection law, which will mean that trade secrets will not be considered patent’s ugly step sister any longer.
- Crafting Your Company’s StoryCall it an elevator pitch or your company’s story. However you describe it, being able to quickly summarize your business can help you engage with customers, partners and investors.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- Why I Love Trello (And So Will You!)Trello can be used as an editorial calendar, scheduler, to do list, saving links and so much more! It makes for a great blogging and social media tool…Tags: productivity todo gtd
- She Makes Comics, a Film About Women in the Comic Book IndustryShe Makes Comics tells the little-known story of women in comics, highlighting the contributions they have made to the medium since the turn of the 20th century. It features interviews with such prominent figures as historian Trina Robbins, Cap…
- Don’T Throw Out That Photo! Salvage Hazy or Foggy Shots Lightroom and Photoshop
Have you ever deleted a digital photo from your collection because its subject was obscured by too much haze, fog, or smog? You may regret that decision after you see how the amazing Dehaze feature can clear things up—literally. I’ll show you how to apply it across all or just part of an image, and I’ll let you in on a special trick for multiplying its effect.
- 40 Amazingly Creative Double Page Magazine AdsSometimes all it takes is a little creativity. Although considered a more traditional form of advertising, marketers continue to use magazine advertisementTags: Design Inspiration InDesign
- How to Use Evernote for Your Creative BusinessI am a research nerd and ideas pop up in my head all of the time. I had to find a system to keep my brain organized. I have systems for a lot of stuff, but keeping ideas and notes for writing my blog posts and FUN-mail needed a system.Tags: Design Ins…
- Packaging For A Post-Binary Gender WorldBasik lets you customize your shaving experience based on need, not gender.Tags: Packaging
- How to Leverage Pro Bono Work to Gain More Work
- Decisions you can make to avoid cancer when you are 20 – Business InsiderJohns Hopkins cancer center director offers some advice on what you should do to avoid cancer.
- Ad Blockers : people finally had enough and now see no ads! Can you blame them?We have been following this issue since last November -- and being one of the first sites to begin the cruisade against online advertising back in the 1990s, we’re delighted it’s finally getting some public notice. But the industry is fighting back. I posted this one yesterday on UGNN … Forbes, ad blockers and malware … another warning!
- 5 Writing Tips for Starting a Blog
- 4 Red Flags You’re Being Hired by a Control Freak
I’m going to to cover a few red flags to look out for. None of these in an of themselves mean you should walk away from the job, but add a few of them together and it’s possible you’re being hired by a control freak.
- 25 Body Language Mistakes You May Be Making at WorkFrom crossing your arms to slouching, these body language mistakes could affect the way people perceive you and your business.
- 45 Free Popup, Alert Window, Notification, Photoshop DesignsIn this round up, you will find 45 free notification, popup and alert windows PSD files that will be useful in your design project.Tags: Photoshop Templates
- How To Identify The 4 Types of Startups
- Working With Irregular Shapes in Gradient Mesh in Adobe IllustratorCreating a Gradient Mesh from a rectangle or an ellipse is pretty easy and straightforward. When you have to work with an acutely curved shape, it becomes much more difficult. Here’s a technique that will do the trick, and save you from frustration!Ta…
- Color Scheme Tool Accounts For Color Blindness
After choosing your colors, Color Scheme by Pixy let’s you preview the colors as if through the eyes of people with various types of color-blindness—protanopy (which affects 1% of men), deuteranopy (another 1% of men), deuteranomaly (which affects 5% of men and 0.4% of women), as well as five other types of color-blindness.
- Becoming A Brand Change Leader | Branding Strategy InsiderThe first change policy, therefore, has to be organized abandonment. The brand change leader puts every product, every service, every process, every market, every distribution channel, every customer, and every end use on trial for its life. And does so on a regular schedule.” ~ Peter Drucker
- The Ten Commandments of Design by Dieter Rams
- How to Write a Great Tagline or Slogan for Business PurposesThere have been hits and misses when it comes to advertising. So what factors separate the two, and how do you write a great tagline or slogan?
- The Ultimate Startup Checklist [Infographic]For anyone who has a good idea, a dedicated personality, and a mind set on success, launching a startup just boils down to what you have to do in order toTags: Entrepreneur Leadership Startup
- Lessons from the Ocean: A Surfer’s Guide to Design Thinking
Somewhere during my years of practice and failure on the ocean, I began my career as a designer. I learned how the economic use of materials on hand could solve problems if applied in the right way. I watched my mentors and reflected on how they solved problems and how they thought about their disciplines the same way I study the movements and traits of gray-haired surfers. I learned that time spent examining the problem was more helpful in the long run than time spent creating the solution. I saw that the best individuals spent the most time preparing, understanding, and positioning their abilities so they were there to solve challenges when the right ones presented themselves. It was the philosophy of surfing made real.
- 7 Killer Tips for Logo Design (Design 101)Designing a logo is simple, right? Think again. There’s more to crafting a brand’s visual identity than just placing a name in a square and calling it a day
- 10 Best Mobile App Search Engines
Here we have 12 better and more enjoyable search engines for iOS apps to help you dig deeper into the app pile and find gems that don’t normally make the front page, top of the chart or in the Editor’s roll call.
- Freelance Consultant’s Guide to Client Interviews (Questions + Process)
- How To Sell Without Selling [Infographic]
Don’t overlook this one just because you’re not a salesman. Of course any type of business major should know these things, but unless you’re living in a straw hut on a remote island then you have something to gain from these statistics.
- 10 Incredibly Useful Colour Resources for Designers
Colour is an integral element of design. And the web is full of endless resources and tutorials covering it. But, sometimes too much choice can be confusing. So we’ve picked this selection of the best resources that will really help you to get to grips with the subject.
- Comma Rules for Business Emails
In your average business email, a comma is very unlikely to represent the difference between life and death. Still, a misplaced one can change the meaning and tone of the message, which can cause confusion and undesired consequences. So let’s go over the two most important uses for commas in business emails.
- How Do You Do Your Best Learning?
Of course, in each of these you may use any of the senses to fully experience something. As you see something you might be hearing and touching something at the same time. However, for most people there is a preferred option for learning. For consuming, processing, remembering and acting on information (the stimuli).
- How to Think Visually [Infographic]
How to Think Visually Using Visual Analogies infographic from Anna Vital gives a great variety of examples for anyone to use when you create your own graphics. It begins with the most recognizable visuals, circle graphs and diagrams. Further down are abstract analogies. They are reminiscent of physical objects, but they are simplified and abstract. Next, we have regular analogies that look like the physical objects you are familiar with. The final category are allegories. These are stories, or a series of analogies. The key is that these stories are familiar enough that we don’t have to retell them, but we should analogize every part of them.