Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 22 May 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Time to Reform Copyright? One Author Thinks SoI’m reading a conflict between steps 1 and 2. Because I don’t think the free reproduction and distribution of my work conflicts with my ability to exploit my work. Anyone can get my ebooks for free, yet I still sell well. My legitimate interes…
- A New Way to Discover Typography from Hoefler & Co.
You’ll find typography that’s inspired by the things that delight us, and typography that reveals the techniques we’ve learned for achieving different moods. Discover.typography is a new way to experience type, an environment that makes it easy to identify typefaces, see them up close, and get to know their many subtleties.
- Does Your Freelance Website Pass The 5 Second Test?
Clue AppNow, let’s talk about how to run your own 5 Second Test. There are several apps and services that you can use to run usability tests on your website. My favorite for conducting a quick 5 Second Test is clueapp.com.
- Hoefler & Co. Releases Fonts for Installation to iOS 7, iPad, iPhone
Using Safari on your iPad or iPhone, head over to your Font Library page. You’ll see a list of fonts you’ve licensed for your computer, each with an add to device link that installs them directly into your mobile device. Managing fonts on iOS is easy — you’ll find more information about it in our FAQ. Enjoy!
- Capitalism is a Paperclip Maximizer… And Thus Humans Are DoomedMost importantly (just like a hypothetical paperclip maximizer) the capital maximizer seeks to grow capital without regard for the ancilliary costs of capital growth. The capital maximizer has no reason or perspective built into it and serves b…
- The 14 Habits of Highly Miserable People
So if you aspire to make yourself miserable, what are the best, most proven techniques for doing it? Let’s exclude some obvious ways, like doing drugs, committing crimes, gambling, and beating up your spouse or neighbor. Subtler strategies, ones that won’t lead anyone to suspect that you’re acting deliberately, can be highly effective. But you need to pretend that you want to be happy, like everybody else, or people won’t take your misery seriously. The real art is to behave in ways that’ll bring on misery while allowing you to claim that you’re an innocent victim, ideally of the very people from whom you’re forcibly extracting compassion and pity.
- Anamorphic 3D Illusion Drawings
The Italian artist Alessandro Diddi questions the point of view and the relevance of the look at things we can have through its anamorphose. From the point of view that one takes, sketches madein pencil appear to be three dimensional. Some incredible trompe l’oeil to discover in images.
- 25 Free Fonts for Your Creative ProjectsA list of fonts that are free to use in your creative projects such us print brochures or web design projects. Font library is a designer best friend, so if you build your own collection, check out these fresh free fonts, hope you will like the…
- 108 Best Photoshop Plugins & Extensions for Print Designers 2014
This enormous collection of the best Photoshop plugins for print designers takes something good and makes it even better by giving you more control, more power and more options than what’s available in your standard Photoshop toolkit.
- How to Streamline Your Freelance Business with Systems, Software, and AutomationYou can apply systems to almost every aspect of your freelance business. Some of the systems will need to be specific to your line of work, but there are other areas that tend to work well for systems no matter what your business.