Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 23 October 2017
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 10 ways to keep clients coming back to you
Repeat business: it’s the lifeblood of the design industry. Here are our top tips on how to keep your clients smiling
- Branding, Identity & Logo Design Explained
A logo is not your brand, nor is it your identity. Logo design, identity design and branding all have different roles, that together, form a perceived image for a business or product.
There has been some recent discussion on the web about this topic, about your logo not being your brand. Although this may be true, I haven’t seen any clarification of the differences between ‘brand’, ‘identity’ and ‘logo’. I wish to rectify this.
- The illustrator’s guide to getting an agent
Lisa Hassell speaks to illustrators and agencies to discover exactly what is the role of the agent, and how to get the most out of them.
- The Definitive Guide to (Mostly) Free Images
They say nothing on the Internet is truly “free.” Even services like Gmail and Facebook come with a price—namely, your privacy (free with a string attached would be more accurate). It’s the same with “free” images from sites like Flickr and and Stock.XCHNG. Here’s what you need to know about free and mostly free images on the web.
- Mastering The Art Of Conversation: 7 Steps To Being Smooth
“In The Art of Conversation: A Guided Tour of a Neglected Pleasure, Catherine Blyth gives some great tips on handling the subtle nuances of polite interaction.
Here are seven of my favorite bits:”
- Buck Design Trends: Tips for Finding New Design Inspiration
“As a web designer today, you have literally hundreds of places to help spur your creativity. Websites dedicated to providing inspiration for web design work. List posts explaining what’s hot in the industry this year. And publications that share the ideas from inside the minds of the designers themselves.
- Creating an International Social Media Strategy that Works
“Social media now connects people across the globe. Facebook has more than 1 billion worldwide users, with 2013 figures from checkfacebook listing Brazil as the second largest country on the network. Meanwhile, Mexico and Egypt took the top two…
- Bad design isn’t just ugly — it’s expensive
- Should Web Designers Take on Print Work?
When you live and breathe digital marketing, it’s easy to overlook the fact that traditional offline marketing was a $93.6 billion industry in 2012. Whereas the digital marketing industry trails slightly behind at $63 billion.
- Every brand which aims to create loyalty is in the emotion business
- This Tool Lets You Test WordPress Plugins Without Installing It
- 10 Steps to Creating (Yes, Creating!) Truly Stellar Fonts
- How to Correctly Set Up Robots.txt for Your Site
- Computers will soon be able to fix themselves – will that kill IT departments?
- 50 Tutorials for Designing Website in Photoshop – Ultimate Roundup
- What It Takes to Make $500 per Month Selling Stock Photos
- How Highlights Magazine is Innovating with Digital Channels
- 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Creative Cloud Subscription
- What Designers Can Learn from Stranger Things
- This Social Media Behaviour Triples Depression Risk