Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 24 February 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 16 Tips for Design Success in 2016Designers from the UK’s top agencies offer invaluable advice to help boost your design studio in the year ahead.Tags: Design Business
- Storytelling Gone Wild: The Key to Creating Viral ContentWe discussed how to make your storytelling more viral by connecting with emotion.Here are three key takeaways from the webinar:Tags: CM ContentMarketing
- Create Beautiful Layouts & Striking Cover for a Children’s Book in InDesign
In this tutorial I’ll show you how to create a striking cover as well as creative page layouts for a children’s book (in this case a modernized version of ‘Alice in Wonderland’!). Using Adobe InDesign, we’ll explore how thinking outside of the box with typography and images can make classically typeset pages more exciting. This tutorial looks at techniques you can use for layout and design; lessons you can apply when putting together your own print book or eBook.
- Teens’ Favorite Apps in 2016We asked dozens of teens about pop culture, politics, their digital lives and habits. These are the apps they use and the games they play.
- 5 AMAZING Reasons to Write a Short Story: Develop and Market Your Novel
- I Blog to Find the 1 Percent
- LOL: Designers Cheekily Photoshop Sleeping Art Director Into Random ImagesHave you ever wondered about “what happens when an art director falls asleep in an agency full of designers”?
- The 5 Irrefutable Signs You Need To Start A Writing Project NowIs this the right time to start a writing project? The 5 signs will show you exactly whether it’s the right time to start a writing project now.Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- What Holds Companies Together?Leadership does not exist in a vacuum. It is participatory -- leaders and followers are in a mutually beneficial relationship where each adds to the effectiveness of the other. There needs to be mutual understanding and collaboration to achieve greate…
- Bad, Crazy Clients Will Make You Rich
- A Visual Guide to Influencer Marketing [Infographic]If you want to get the best out of your content and have fallen short then consider influencer marketing.Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance Startup
- Cool WhatsApp Tips and Tricks [Infographic]Whether you have not used all the features of WhatsApp on android phone or you have switched from an android phone to an iPhone then this infographic below is all for increasing your knowledge. Now you can quickly learn how to use WhatsApp with this s…
- 14 Ways to Be the Worst Graphic Designer on Your TeamWhy grow as a graphic designer when you can just push people around and makes things difficult for everyone? Here’s how to make your project insufferable.Tags: Design Business
- Tips for Working with the Gradient Mesh Tool In Illustrator
In this tutorial, we’ll show you some tips that will improve your Mesh work. We’ll also show you a proper workflow to get outstanding results with this tool. We’ll take a close look at creating a layer within the detailed file of a meshed boot. The final design is available for review in our freebies section, and is titled Army Shoe. Let’s get started!
- 11 Types of Content to Make Your B2B Marketing Sing
Be under no illusions – content marketing is hard work. It takes planning, resources and focus. But it is also one of the most rewarding forms of marketing that you can do professionally and individually. Not only does content marketing challenge you to clearly communicate – it often brings you up close and personal with customers as well as your sales teams.
- Mastering Hygiene on LinkedIn: Personal BrandingTags:
- Roundup of 6 Tips About Finding Freelance Writing JobsSix pages of useful information about finding freelance writing jobs plus links to job sites and Anne’s articles on finding and landing gigs.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- Ambush Marketing [Cartoon]
“Ambushes done right can deliver instant fame and talk value, but the unpredictability of catching lightning in a bottle is not suited for everyone or every brand,” Innocean’s Eric Springer said in a recent Adweek article called “How to Win the Super Bowl Without Spending $5 Million on a 30-Second Spot.”
- Women’s Voices in Type, On- and Offstage, Part Two
In Part One, I talked about the ineffectiveness of shame. We still need to talk about the causes of the problem so we can focus on solutions. As much as society affects us, everything we do affects society. If we lived in a truly equal society, it would mean everyone would compromise. Therefore the onus is on everyone to make a difference.
- Illustrator Full Spectrum Spirograph | Veerle’s Blog
- Write Active, Sensory Description to Make Your Story BelievableSo, my biggest pet peeve when reading is when an author pulls me from that world.And pulling me from that world with an info dump of inactive setting or character description is the worst offender. Pure, unadulterated, torturous Hell. Or, what I imagi…
- Hoefler & Co. Fonts Available for Digital Publishing Apps, eBooks, More With App.typographyNow you can use the H&Co fonts you love to publish apps, digital publications, eBooks, and more. Meet App.typography, the simple font licensing solution for digital publishers.
- Konrath’s Advice For Indie BooksellersNobody wants to see the Indies disappear. There is a tremendous opportunity here, but it starts with taking the emotion out of how you view self-published authors and looking at it with an eye to what customers want.Tags: epub selfpub
- 5 Fixes For Under-Performing Brands
- Still not on Kindle #1Still not on Kindle #1 An average of almost 3,000 books a day were added to the USA Kindle store last month, and that wasn’t a fluke. I record the average in my monthly Snapshots. The vast majority of those are indies (independently published books). A considerably smaller number are newly published by the tradpubs (traditional…
- 3 Resources to Help You Publish the Content Your Audience WantsAre you delivering the right type of content to your audience? This week’s Copyblogger Collection offers guidance for meticulous content creators.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- Snickers Pokes Fun At Photoshop Fails In New, Terribly Edited Print Ad
- What Is the True Cost of Building and Managing a WordPress Website?Discover how you can minimize the total cost of WordPress ownership while maximizing its potential to manage the online content that drives your business.
- 50 Free Stylish Fonts To Bring A Touch Of Elegance To Any DesignBring a stylish touch of class to any content piece.Tags: Typography fonts
- Let Your Customers Help You Make It Memorable
- 42 Free Tattoo Fonts for Your Body ArtBe inspired by these free tattoo fonts that you can put to use in your body art designs.Tags: Typography fonts design
- Typography 101: Typefaces & Fonts: What and Why They’Re Important to Graphic Designers
- 35 Best WordPress Church ThemesSo what makes a perfect church theme? By far, almost all of them have features like event management, audio and video sermon management, and even a donationTags: WordPress
- What’s a Replica-Plus Digital Magazine?
- 5 Reasons You Should Pitch Your Writing to Smaller Markets
The dream of every freelance writer is the “big get.” That is, writing for the largest, best-known markets we can land. Bigger markets, after all, mean more prestige and better money. But there also can be tremendous value in writing for smaller markets—something a lot of writers tend to forget as they chase bigger fish.
- OverTagging: Crime and PunishmentTagging is an essential part of a solid social media marketing strategy. It helps you interact with both your current audience and those you want to woo into your fold. However, there have been enough cases of overtagging that Facebook, Twitter and In…
- Nine Ways to Get Out of Your Rut and Create a Blast of Writing EnergyHabits and routines are good. Ruts are not. A routine is all about established habits. A rut is about feeling stuck or bored. People can be creatures of habit. Routines are comforting and comfortable. I used to work with a designer who ate the same lunch every day for the 10 years I worked with him. A turkey and…
- 10 Rules for Writing Numbers and NumeralsHow do you express numbers in your writing? When do you use figures (digits) and when do you write out the number in words (letters)? That is, when do you writeTags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- How to Troubleshoot Problems With Your MacFor any problem with your Mac, you can at least help isolate or even fix it by performing several checks and troubleshooting actions.Tags: OSX Mac
- Choosing and Pairing Typefaces for CookbooksThere are many ways of setting up typographic systems, and we learned early on that choosing and pairing typefaces can be compared to the classical approach to cooking: Choose ingredients that will serve the overall flavor of the dish as well as compl…