Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 24 September 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- 6 Steps to Creating Accessible Video
Videos that include captions means that double the number of people will finish watching your video (from 40% up to 80%) – and remember your search ranking is directly related to how long people spend on your site.
- Why We Need a New Internet and How to Make OneOver the course of this article I will look at some of these threats to internet freedom, and why they are important. I will also suggest that part of the reason why governments are so easily able to take control over the internet lies in its m…
- How to Display Alternate Content to AdBlock UsersAd blocking software like AdBlock and Ghostery are installed on millions of computers and thus affecting the bottom line of web publishers who are dependent on online advertising networks like Google AdSense to pay their bills. It takes time an…
- Use an Alternative Keyboard Layout on a Mac Login Screen for SecurityYour Mac is really only as safe as your initial login password, but if you’re worried that someone’s always figuring out your password, Macworld shows you how to use an alternative keyboard layout like Dvorak or Colemak to throw them off your t…
- How to Make an InDesign Text Frame with a Background ImageBut as much as I try, there is no way to apply a background image to an InDesign text frame. I got to thinking about the components that make up this idea:
- How to Turn Gmail Into Your Central Productivity HubMost of us use Gmail as our main email service, but it’s so much more. Gmail can act as your to-do list, your notes board, your reminders, your list maker, and all the other things you need to be productive.
- How to design for the ‘internet of things’It’s still a big buzzword but what’s the Internet of Things all about and what does it mean for designers? Dan Frost explains all.
- Dynamic Design: Don’t Get Arrested By The Style Police
Yes, it’s good to show everyone that you’re an experienced creative who can put your personal mark on everything you touch, but there’s a dark side to style as well. What is it, you ask? Read on and we’ll find out.
- The 10 Commandments of Logo Design [INFOGRAPHIC]Logo design requires deep and intricate knowledge. It involves a great deal of brainstorming, thinking process and knowhow of, if not very advanced, at least the most elementary of rules and principles governing logo design.