Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 26 May 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- The Best iPad Apps for Highlighting & Reviewing PDFs, Webpages & eBooks
If you want to move beyond dry pens and yellow markers for reading and studying purposes, the iPad is perfectly designed for reading, highlighting, and annotating ebooks, PDFs, and other documents.
When you take the time to highlight text as you read, you’re able to review and make use of what you read more efficiently. The apps featured here make it easy to markup, review and export annotations from eBooks and PDFs, and are particularly useful on the larger, full sized iPad.
- 7 Secrets About Editors Every Freelance Writer Should Know
Editors – most of them anyway – are trying to do their jobs and looking for people who can help them do that. One of them could be you.
Many editors worked as writers before trading places. A lot still do both. I fall into that category. Since 2009, I’ve worked as the freelance editor for a corporate finance website and on a blog series. I’ve edited whitepapers and helped train, manage and edit other freelancers for an employment news startup.
Based on my experience on the other side of the desk, here are some secrets about editors that freelance writers should know:
- This graphic designer makes ‘smell maps’ of cities around the world
McLean has conducted these smell walks in different parts of the world over the past several years. For her, they are sensory research trips. Today, she’s collecting data so she can map Boston by smell.
- Tackle Any Problem With These 3 QuestionsWarren Berger, author of A More Beautiful Question, collected the provocative questions top designers, tech innovators, and entrepreneurs ask themselves to spark creativity.
- Why Marketers Love Instagram And PinterestA new report finds marketers are increasingly turning towards visual platforms and content in place of more traditional social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. Here’s why.
- Positioning Yourself Competitively as a FreelancerThat being said even if you are starting out and have a limited understanding of the work you do there can be several different ways you can position yourself fitting your skill level. In this article we will present a few important things clie…
- Are women better negotiators than men?
Earlier this week I came across an article in which it was suggested that women in the purchasing world are positioned to become the new influencers and deal-makers because they understand the importance of building relationships and collaborating. Conversely, and in the same article, IACCM CEO Tim Cummins made reference to a study that senior executives – who are predominantly male – tend to lie to one another at the negotiating table when it comes to what they can actually do, in what time frame they can do it and for how much money it can be done.
- Surviving as a Creative in a Corporate Environment
Andy Epstein offers tactics for thriving in an in-house design environment. He lays out a tongue-in-cheek list of ways for an in-house designer to get fired in the hopes that you’ll not try them.
- Top Content Management Systems for Designers
If you want to build a site that’s more than a collection of static pages, you’ll need a content management system (CMS). At the core of a CMS is a database that stores articles, blog posts, user data and other information. A CMS also includes features for configuring the website, posting stories, dynamically generating pages and doing pretty much everything else that we expect of a website. By and large, these are big, complex beasts that require a considerable investment of time to install and maintain.
- 25 Packaging Designs Guaranteed to Delight You
A good packaging design can serve as the best advertisement for the product it was created to hold. No wonder many advertisers and designers spend a great deal of time and effort to create eye-catching, meaningful, funny, and clever packaging designs. Here’s a collection of some of the most creative and inspiring packaging ideas that immediately put a smile on your face. You won’t believe how clever some of them are.