Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 27 June 2014
Great content found by Pariah and shared to the design and creative communities on social media.
- Get more money without raising your photography prices!
Sometimes you feel you just can’t increase your photography prices anymore. It feels like the bubble has about burst and you just can’t do it. After you’ve done your proper market analysis and have eliminated the idea of fear holding you back – move to looking at how you can make more money with what you already have instead of increasing prices more.
- Advice From 7 Women Leaders Who Navigated The Male-Dominated Tech SceneTechnology is still a male-dominated industry, but women are making an impact. Seven female leaders offer advice to aspiring women leaders.
- 5 Smart Sentences that Clients Need to Hear from You
Here are 5 easy sentences that can change the game. Implement these into your client communication right away, and it likely won’t take long before you’re turning “we went with someone else” into “we want to work with you!”
- Air Stylus Pairs Your iPad and Stylus with Your Computer to Act Like a WacomiPad/Mac: The iPad is a great little drawing tool on its own, and a pressure sensitive stylus can make that experience even better. If you want to extend that even more, Air Stylus is an app that lets you use your iPad and stylus as a drawing t…
- I’m NOT pro crowdsourcing, but FYC is. – Is Crowdsourcing Crowding the Freelance Graphic Designer?Over the past few years the demand for crowdsourcing services has skyrocketed. This is particularly true for the design industry where crowdsourcing platforms such as DesignCrowd offer a cost effective way for small to medium businesses, start-…
- Hands On With Adobe Ink & Slide
From its packaging and color to its design and presentation, Adobe’s new Ink & Slide cloud connected pen and ruler set fits hand-in-glove into Apple’s ecosystem.
- Adobe Photoshop Mix review: Not just another iPad photo app
The new Adobe Photoshop Mix, a cloud-based image editor and compositor that debuted as part of Creative Cloud 2014, will actually perform some processor-intensive functions — like content aware fill, lens correction and shake reduction — in the cloud and deliver the results to your iPad.
- Massimo Vignelli: The 3 Traits of Great CreativesFamed designer Massimo Vignelli passed away this past month at the age 83. As a result of his nearly 60-year-long career, Vignelli left behind a lengthy legacy of creative wisdom. Included among the libraries of insights from his career, Vignel…
- Typography 101 – Using Swash Characters
Swash characters are those with embellishments that extend off the standard character. A swash character is usually – but not always – an alternate to the regular, unadorned default letterform. More and more typefaces are designed with swash characters, thanks to the expanded character capacity of OpenType® technology.
- 5 Lessons From The Kickstarter Designer Who’s Been Making A Poster A Day For A YearAlex Proba has dedicated 30 minutes daily to her poster-a-day project. Here’s what other designers could learn from her discipline.
- Exporting Layers as PNGs in Adobe Illustrator
In Adobe Illustrator, there isn’t a way to export each of your layers, all at once, as PNG files. That feature just doesn’t exist natively. However, with the help of an awesome script, as well as a little extra preparation, you’ll be able to export layers to PNGs in Adobe Illustrator in minutes. Who wants to export all of your layers in Adobe Illustrator by hand? I don’t know many who do. The video below explains how all of this works.
- 100 Best Free FontsSo here is a massive selection of some of the best free fonts available on the web. You will find all types of free fonts here, ranging from big and bold for headlines to clean and readable for copy.
- Choosing the right font for mobile
The first thing to consider when designing for mobile is that mobile screens, especially smartphones, afford a much smaller digital canvas to play with.
This is why the aforementioned Readability still holds the number one criteria for selection. Fonts designed for mobile especially must maintain high contrast (form) and render sharply and correctly across devices and browsers (function). Other considerations under the broader category of “form” include:
- Ensuring You Get Paid, Even if the Client Terminates YouI make sure I receive payment while work is still in progress; to ensure I maintain the leverage I need, I do not release any material I am creating until I have a check in hand. Unspoken, but all too apparent, is the point that, if my client …
- Adobe Creative Cloud Accelerates Past 2.3 Million Paid Members
Paid membership is accelerating and has now passed 2.3 million subscribers (adding 35,000+ new customers each week), since the new CC release replaced Creative Suite one year ago.
While the company still sells last year’s CS6 for those who would rather have the previous licensing model, the Creative Cloud package compares favorably on almost all measures and is one of Adobe’s highest-rated major products ever – likely because it gives access to almost everything they make, all for one easy price.
- 6 Open Online Photography Classes You Can Learn From At Your Own Pace
These six open online photography classes could be just the thing if you like to do your learning more systematically. Enroll, join, try them…but keep your camera close by.